160m Trans Tasman

630m (472 kHz) - 10 m (29 MHz) antennas, propagation, operating, etc
VK2GOM

Re: 160m Trans Tasman

Post by VK2GOM »

Hi Justin - where abouts up there? I work up that way building rally cars. Could call in and say hello!

73 - Rob VK2GOM / G0MOH
VK3WAM

Post by VK3WAM »

Hi all,

Will be operating portable from Bunyup State Park, east of Gembrook. 100W with a loaded vertical around 11m high.

Regards,
Wayne VK3WAM
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

The last time I used 160m was about 25 years ago, but I gave it a go tonight using about 75 w to my Bushcomm multi-band dipole. Good fun, worked VK1,2,3,4 and ZL3. :D

What I found interesting was the the big difference in signal strength at each end. Some of the VK2 & 3 were up to S9 here but could not hear me, and not just me, VK4FNQ with his loop was having the same trouble. Is this usual on 160m?

Wayne VK4WDM
VK2AAH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2AAH »

OOPS I posted in the VHF-UHF Contest topic... can the Mod please move my post!

Hi Wayne- there weren't many big sigs from VK4 to where we were (Kurrajong Heights, 600m AGL west of Sydney). I was with the VK2MA team & we did work 4FNQ a couple of times but the signal wasn't that strong. I think the best of the VK4s was VK4GH. Good signals from around VK2, VK3, VK7, and ZL.

Did anybody work/hear any VK6s?

And congratulations to the many QRP stations- some outstanding performances from low power stations.

Cheers,

Richard
VK2AAH
VK3YE
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3YE »

Terrible noise, but made some contacts, firstly with 100w and then a homebrew DSB set.

A video of the latter (second half only) is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSMoUE9qLU8
-------------------------
Peter VK3YE http://www.vk3ye.com

NEW FOR 2019! Illustrated International Ham Radio Dictionary. 200 page Kindle ebook. $AU $5.99. Get yours at http://home.alphalink.com.au/~parkerp/dictionary.htm
VK2AAH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2AAH »

Out of curiosity what type of antennas did those who participated used? It would be interesting to know how different antennas functioned. The band was certainly noisy- in the first hour we found it very hard to find even a spare 500Hz to call home- so much of the most hour was spent roaming around the band. When we found a spot it was amazing how pile ups sprang up from apparently nothing.

Another question re the contest is the type of radios being used. The VK2MA team used a FT450 (which worked very well), a Kenwood TS520 (the audio from this old radio was very impressive), and my little IC7000 (which looked threatened when sat down next to the '520...). Each radio did an hour or more- a great opportunity for people like me to learn about 160m operating.

Cheers,

Richard
VK2AAH
VK3ART

Post by VK3ART »

I used an Inverted L, 40 metres long, only 10 metres vertical / high ( 30m horiz ) with 3 X 40+ metre radials.
Almost always ( must ) run RX attenuation on 160m here .
Russ VK3ART
VK5PJ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5PJ »

Hello,
antennas here for 160mx is either the 1/4 wave sloper or the inverted L off of the 14 Metre southern cross tower. Rig is a IC-736 and band conditions were very quiet here in the middle of the vineyards of the Barossa Valley so my problem was being heard. Nice to hear so many QRP stations here, some of them put the full power stations to shame ;-)

Suprised to hear only one other VK5 during the contest. I lasted to about 10pm local time as I had a throat infection and lost my voice.

Regards,
Peter, vk5pj
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

I used my 2-30MHZ Bushcomm dipole. It is only 10m high. Some big signals on receive but it was obvious they they could not hear me very well. :(

Wayne VK4WDM
VK6TV

Post by VK6TV »

Hello from VK6

I set up an 1/4 wave inverted L with an 18 meter spiderbeam for the verticle section and an average ground.Casually listened/ called for the first 4 hours and did not here any VK6 stations on air. From 1200 UTC I could just start to make out 2 VK2 stations but QRM was a problem working from home. By 1300 UTC QRM dropped form S8 to S4, could 2 stations calling from VK2 but they could not hear me.

I think the 100 watt output limit is too restrictive on 160 mt for all stations to get over the border unless working from a remote quiet location with beverages/ effecient verticles. This being my 2nd attempt for the 160 my VK/ZL I found the challenge of setting up my antenna for the weekend fun but futile for the effort.

The only comments I had received on air was the next morning after the W.A WIA news callback. I was told that I had an excellent signal getting out form the callback operater.

Having worked 160 meters 2 years ago there was several VK6 stations working the contest. Some were not getting out past VK6 possibly due to there choice/ design of antenna's used. So this year was disappointing turnout from a VK6 perspective. Unfortunately unless something changes I can't see much activity from VK6 at all. Try to imagine being an suburban operater from VK6 having to setup a 160 mt antenna for the contest and not able to have many/ no contacts for your efforts.

Saying this I hope to try the VK/ZL 80 mt contest next year, not sure about the 160mt contest.

73's

Milan
VK6KTV