Japan to drop the Morse

ACMA, Licencing, and Examination discussion
VK2ZRH
Forum Diehard

Japan to drop the Morse

Post by VK2ZRH »

The Morse requirement for an amateur licence in Japan will be dropped from 1 October 2011, according to a recent announcement by the Japanese regulatory authority. :D

The number of amateur licensees in Japan has fallen over recent years. :(

It is not known at this stage if or how reciprocal licensing with other nations will be affected. :?:

Posted in the interests of sharing the news. 8)

73, Roger Harrison VK2ZRH
VK2XQ

Re: Japan to drop the Morse

Post by VK2XQ »

[b][/b]Be interesting to see the results of this change, in all of my years operating on radio, both from Australia and from many countries overseas, I have always found the Japanese to be very professional operators no matter what the band or mode. Unlike pile ups from Europe or the Americas I have never ever had a problem with the gentlemen from Japan. Jack VK2XQ
VK2ZRH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2ZRH »

I hope the move is accompanied by some licence restructuring, too - as has happened in other countries.

Something needs to happen to arrest the slide.

73, Roger Harrison VK2ZRH
VK4BLP

Post by VK4BLP »

I don't know why everyone is getting so worried about the morse requirement being dropped for an amateur licence, when really many of those who got their full call years ago, generally don't use it at all these days.

Now I'm not saying that we should all forget about morse, I'm just saying that in this day and age we should be trying to get more people getting their licence, and not getting put off by having a morse code requirement. Thank goodness there's no requirement for it in Australia.

I've always been interested in becoming an amateur since I was a kid of 15, but kept on putting it off because I wasn't prepared to do morse. I only found out last year that morse code was no longer a requirement, so I went out and got my foundation licence after all these years. I turn 50 this month.

I'm now studying for my advanced licence.

I know several amateurs that really enjoy morse, and more power to them.
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

Morse is just another mode among many others. Even though it is no longer a requirement, plenty of hams will continue to learn it, and their reasons for doing so will vary: some because it is interesting because of its historic association with radio, others because it still very useful.

I am quite confident that should I find myself back on this planet in 50 years time I will still be able to work stations on CW, provided AR itself survives, and that will only happen when we old guys stop bleating about "standards" and accept that the licensing system has to change.

Yes, we are seeing more incidences of poor operating habits and bad on-air behavior in recent years, but the: is this: all the bad behavior, poor operating technique, over driven and/or over compression caused splatter, that I have noticed has been perpetrated by those holding standard or advanced licenses, most of whom were licensed when Morse was a requirement (I am not saying that there are no F call culprits, just that they have not come to my attention).

IMO the "decrease in standards" is not the result of the dropping of Morse from the license or the introduction of the foundation license, it is because those of us who should know better have failed to live up the standard of operating and behavior we are required to adhere to because of our membership of the international amateur radio family.

Wayne VK4WDM