WSPR 28 MHz

WSPR discussion
VK2KRR

Re: WSPR 28 MHz

Post by VK2KRR »

Good evening,

A few stations on WSPR 28 this afternoon, but very slim pickings when it came to OS DX unfortunately.

The stations active today were (16)-

VK2DLI
VK2EMA
VK2KRR
VK2XN
VK2ZMT
VK3MIR
VK3SMC
VK3XPT
VK4EK
VK4FIL
VK4MIL
VK5AKK
VK5ZRL
VK6DZ
VK6ZRY
VK7AB

WSPR and the prevailing ionosphere conditions can be very selective at times and its very interesting to see who gets signals at one time and who gets them at others. They may be only 400 Km appart but still vary quite considerably.
Today Mark VK2EMA had some brilliant paths to K7FL and N7GLS, very consistant.
VK5ZRL got in a brilliant pre- 2.30pm signal to OZ7IT which prompted myself to look that way, which saw a reasonably consistant lot of spots from OZ7IT most of the afternoon till sundown. With quite a good signal down to something like -3dB which is the best I have seen for a while. What I find intersting is that Jorgen OZ7IT was the only station I could get to or hear from, all afternoon from EU. :? Phil VK5AKK had some good copies on Jorgens signal also.
One station who often throws in a bit of a surprise to the group on 28 MHz WSPR is Glenn VK7AB.. and this afternoon from 0550 to 0632 UTC Glenn gave us a good surprise by copying DF4PV - 16,821 Km, a number of times, at a time when everyone else had nothing. Good stuff Glenn.
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

Dale,
Now I can see what you were explaining to me about the software and the CW beacons.
Thanks for that, see you tomorrow on WSPR maybe :mrgreen:
VK5ZRL
Forum Novice

Post by VK5ZRL »

Hi Leigh,
propagation was very poor in my neck of the woods today, I think OZ7IT was a one off fluke.
I did note some unusual loggings possibly due to large time differences or maybe propagation was playing funny buggers.

110625 0028 2 -23 6.2 28.126029 <...> W514NF 12 -2 18930 14
110625 0038 2 -24 -1.7 28.126043 <...> XQY6OG 63 -2 16598 62
110625 0126 1 -22 4.2 28.126003 PK3AXJ 43 0 15978 54
110625 0420 1 -23 3.0 28.126049 WZ9/CG1UUE 27 2 4932 -7
110625 0748 3 -20 6.3 28.126049 <...> AYV9DD 47 -1 12508 -48

I do monitor 27Mhz propagation also (don't shoot me :!: ) and noted U.S signals late on the 24th but they disappeared
rather quickly. Asian signals came up early on the 25th and remained for quite a while but 28 Mhz was disappointing.
Maybe better luck tomorrow.
Rob - VK5ZRL
PF95gc
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

Hi Rob

OZ7IT was a good catch!

By the looks of it, those spots are false decodes which can happen sometimes. You sometimes see someone spots an unusual callsign in the middle of an ocean somewhere or something like that.

Propagation OS (overseas) really has been quite poor. But some local sporadic Es have sparked things up a little, although even thats not been the best in past week.

See what happens today.
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

G'day folks,

Beautiful sunny day here today! The conditions on 28 have been really quite poor. But despite this, stations have stuck around to see what the day may bring. Appears some have more patience than me, as I even snuck down to 21 MHz this morning to see what was happening down there first. I had coined up another heading for this news report, considering the poor conditions, the 'WSPR MUF Chasers' report :lol: As were always trying to use the maximum signal possible.

The stations that have been active today on 28 WSPR are (14)-

VK2KRR
VK2XN
VK2ZMT
VK3MIR
VK3XPT
VK4EK
VK4MIR
VK4ZBV
VK5AKK
VK5DC
VK5ZRL
VK6DZ
VK7AB
VK8TH

Nothing real exciting to report so far today. There has been virtually NO sporadic E. One good thing was Derek VK6DZ managed to get a 10W signal across to W0RXX early on with his antenna temporarily on the end of his verandah :D Ive managed to get a couple of signals to N7GLS and K7FL but not many. Thats as good as it gets at the moment.
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

Hi folks,

Couldn't stick around for part of the afternoon, so I missed the evening shift. But diddn't miss out on very much.

Stations active today were (19) -

VK2KRR
VK2XN
VK2ZMT
VK3MIR
VK3SMC
VK3XPT
VK4CZ
VK4EGE
VK4EK
VK4MIR
VK4ZBV
VK5AKK
VK5DC
VK5WR
VK5ZRL
VK6DZ
VK6ZRY
VK7AB
VK8TH

There was NO Sporadic E today on 28 MHz, except a path from 6DZ to 5AKK, which was interesting to note. Other OS DX in the afternoon was almost non existant, with a handfull of decodes from myself to DL4MFC, DL0LBS & 4X/NH7L, and Derek VK6DZ got away with being decoded by DL4MFC.
So things were pretty tough today, but good to see everyone hanging in there. Hope condx pick up a bit for next weekend.
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

G'day all,

Nice day here today albeit a bit windy early on. There was a long WSPR server outage this morning for a few hours around 10am to 12pm. So as a result some possible paths were lost.
The current Solar Flux reading is 88 and sunspot number of 51.

So far today we wind ourself on WSPR 28 with (14)-

VK2EMA
VK2KRR
VK2XN
VK2ZMT
VK3MIR
VK3SMC
VK3XPT
VK4CZ
VK5AKK
VK5DC
VK5ZRL
VK6DZ
VK6GOS
VK7AB

Poor old VK7AB being left out of the loop at the moment, with nothing down in Tassie. Scott VK4CZ who has only come onto WSPR this week has probably had the most spots today with only a dipole, but is working the sporadic E well. Myself and VK2EMA have been in the skip zone a bit today with most signals jumping over us. The VK5 boys doing a great job on the Es, with VK5AKK doing exceptionally well as usual. Way across to the west, VK6DZ is finding some good double E and double E paths to the east. There has been no paths that we know of to USA (maybe there was but not spotted due to server outage).
Phil VK5AKK has collected the first few spots from EU so far at around 0500 utc.
More to come later. :mrgreen:
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

Hi Folks.

Just following up on the afternoons WSPR 28 activities.

All up, today the stations active were (14)-

VK2EMA
VK2KRR
VK2XN
VK2ZMT
VK3MIR
VK3SMC
VK3XPT
VK4CZ
VK5AKK
VK5DC
VK5ZRL
VK6DZ
VK6GOS
VK7AB

This time Glenn VK7AB was unable to pull one of his usual tricks out of the bag unfortunately for us. But in anycase, there were a few other signal paths about. Unfortunatley only 3 stations were able to provide us with some OS EU entertainment, that was VK5AKK (RX only), VK2EMA and VK2KRR. Most of these stations had spots to and from DL0LBS, DL4MFC, OE3VMS, OZ7IT, which are the bigger Eu players.
On the Sporadic E front, VK4CZ Scott, had a great day with just the dipole! Good list here for Scott VK4CZ:
Hearing: VK2EMA, VK2KRR, VK2ZMT, VK3MIR, VK3XPT, VK5DC, VK5ZRL
Heard by: VK2EMA, VK2KRR, VK2ZMT, VK3MIR, VK3XPT, VK5AKK, VK5DC, VK5ZRL
There wasn't a real lot of intense short paths about all the same.
Mid and long Es were up a bit today, but F layer OS paths were average to EU and non existant to USA (though we may have missed some due to the outage).
73 till tomorrow.
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

Evening all,

I missed out on a lot of the WSPR action today, hence I didn't write up an earlier report, but I dont think there was much going on in the morning in anycase.

Stations active on WSPR 28 today were ()-

VK2EMA
VK2KRR
VK2XN
VK2ZMT
VK3MIR
VK3XPT
VK4CZ
VK4FIL
VK5AKK
VK5PJ
VK5WR
VK5ZRL
VK6DZ
VK6ZRY
VK7AB

I cant make to much comment about the days events as I was not present, but it would appear there was small number of spots across to the USA from VK2ZMT, VK2EMA & VK5PJ. Poor VK6DZ and VK6ZRY were left without a single spot all day. Looks like there was a few medium and long E paths, mainly north south (as followed up with 6m spots by those stations). Europe afternoon path was very poor, only spots picked up by myself.
Look out for the weekly stats.
Till next weekend. :D
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

Hi all,

Another cold and gloomy day here in QF34. 28 MHz WSPR is being very uneventful so far.
The Solar Flux is currently at 86.

Active WSPRers today on 10m are (11) -

VK2EMA
VK2KRR
VK2QW
VK2XN
VK2ZMT
VK3XPT
VK4MIL
VK5AKK
VK5DC
VK5ZRL
VK6DZ

Not a great deal to report. Only OS spot so far has been from Mark VK2EMA who got to KC9SNI earlier on. Little bit of Sporadic E coming up now along the Bight Path. Thats about it.
More news later.
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

Hi all,

I was out doing things all afternoon so missed the live action, but I dont think there was a real lot to speak of.

Stations active today (12) -

VK2EMA
VK2KRR
VK2POP
VK2QW
VK2XN
VK2ZMT
VK3XPT
VK4MIL
VK5AKK
VK5DC
VK5ZRL
VK6DZ

Not much to speak off at the moment, but there are increasing numbers of visible sun spots at the moment, in particular SSN 1247 which seems quite active now, and a few others about to come around from behind the sun. This may boost available paths over the coming days.
I had a brief period of about 30 mins where I got a spot from OZ7IT and heard by OZ7IT and UA3ARC. Other than this, there was some minor single Es from VK6DZ across to the VK5's. From about 2pm there was some Es around NSW across to VK5. More interestingly there was some NIGHT time Es from 6pm till 8pm from the VK5s across a narrow band to VK2KRR, VK2POP and VK2ZMT.
Till tomorrow.
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

Here is a map image of the late Sporadic E path this evening between 6 and 8 pm.
Late E's
Late E's
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

Hi all,

I made a good post for todays activity but it disappeared before I could post. Not going to write all again im afraid.

Today there was 12 active stations on WSPR 28.

VK2EMA
VK2KRR
VK2XN
VK2ZMT
VK3SMC
VK3XPT
VK4MIL
VK5AKK
VK5DC
VK5ZRL
VK6DZ
VK6ZRY

Just briefly, VK6DZ was the only station to get to the USA with K6PZB.
VK2EMA and 2KRR only 2 to EU, with DK6UG, UA3ARC and IW2DZX.
Numerous Sporadic E activity was around which was good to see, which also lead to 6m activity. This was mainly across the Bight path.
10m
10m
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

G'day folks!

What started off as a nice day here is turning a bit cloudy and dark. But no matter, as WSPR is hotting up a little today!

Stations active on 28 WSPR so far today are (11)-

VK2EMA
VK2KRR
VK2XN
VK2ZMT
VK3MIR
VK3XPT
VK4CZ
VK4EK
VK5ZRL
VK6DZ
VK7 - EJTSWL (SWL station)

Been a bit of a sporadic E explosion today with some fairly intense E areas over NSW, especially above & between the area of VK2KRR, 2EMA, 2XN and 2ZMT. This is most probably where a lot of the 6m E has been refracted back down from today between VK4 and 3 etc.
Stations that have made it to/from USA so far VK2EMA, 2ZMT, 2KRR, 2XN, 4CZ.
Scott VK4CZ has also picked up a double from VK6DZ at one stage. And Derek is now on Es to Adelaide area.
Tune in for more after the action finishes this evening.
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

Evening all.

Forgot to mention that todays solar flux level was 94, up 8 points from last weekend, and quite a few sunspots appearing at the moment.

Active stations on 28 WSPR today were (13) -

VK2EMA
VK2KRR
VK2MER
VK2XN
VK2ZMT
VK3MIR
VK3XPT
VK4CZ
VK4EK
VK5ZRL
VK6DZ
VK6ZRY
VK7 - EJTSWL (SWL station)

Well, I got one signal to HS3LSE, in the Europe direction, but thats all that anyone got over Europe direction!! Not real good. :cry: In the afternoon hours, KG6LG started running some decent power and was being heard quite well by VK3XPT, VK4CZ, VK6DZ. K6PZB was heard by VK4CZ, as was W6PDD. Scott VK4CZ also got a big path right across to WA3DNM and KV0S. Scott had a great day on 10m WSPR and to have HEARD signals from those stations is quite impressive. Most times its easier to get them to hear you than what it is to hear them.
Later on the SE sporadic E suddenly stopped and then the only signals passing were double hops from Sydney and coastal areas right across to 6DZ and 6ZRY, jumping over the others in between skips.

No signals were spotted on 6m today which was a shame.

Lets see how things progress tomorrow.
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

G'day all,

Solar flux still at 94. Very little conditions today on 28 WSPR so far.

Stations active so far today are (13) -

VK2EMA
VK2KRR
VK2XN
VK2XTT
VK2ZMT
VK3XPT
VK4CZ
VK4FIL
VK4MIL
VK5PJ
VK5ZRL
VK6DZ
ZL3PX

Very little in the way of spots today, a small bit of sporadic E in northern NSW and SE QLD earlier on between VK4CZ, VK2KRR, VK2EMA, VK4MIL, but thats all so far.
There has been no OS paths yet.
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

Evening!

Well..... :shock: what a shocker of a day on 28 WSPR!

Stations active were (14) -

VK2EMA
VK2KRR
VK2XN
VK2XTT
VK2ZMT
VK3XPT
VK4CZ
VK4FIL
VK4MIL
VK5AKK
VK5PJ
VK5ZRL
VK6DZ
ZL3PX

:roll: There was probably NO SIGNALS THAT PASSED BETWEEN STATIONS IN VK since my last post earlier today. Like I said, quite a shocker of a day. But, we cant expect good condx all the time I guess or else it wouldn't get real exciting when things do pick up a bit.
Till next weekend 73
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

Afternoon!

There has been a bit of propagation on 28 WSPR this Saturday so far.
The Solar Flux level today is at 92 after jumping to a high of 104 during the week. Down 2 points now from last weekend.

Stations active are (11)-

VK2EMA
VK2KRR
VK2ZMT
VK3SMC
VK3XPT
VK4CZ
VK4EK
VK4JAZ
VK5DC
VK5WR
VK5ZRL

We have seen some F layer skip to USA and a lot of sporadic E around the SE area, VK2, VK3. Mark VK2EMA got the first paths to USA this morning and has been heard by - K6PZB, K9AN, KP4MD, N6GN, N6RY. Others getting to USA were Matt VK2ZMT and VK2KRR.
Most active stations have hooked onto some sporadic E paths of some sort this morning/afternoon, Scott VK4CZ 10W propagating very well from SE QLD. Majority of all hops bouncing in VK2 somewhere usually. There has been a number of short 300 Km zone paths indicating 50 MHz should be OK in the right places.
Hopefully EU paths fire up this arvo as they have been quite poor this week.
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

Hi All,

Was out last night and didn't get home till late so was unable to compose the evening WSPR 10m report. So the data here could be a little out, but I'll give it a shot anyway.

The stations active yesterday were (15)-

VK2BLS
VK2EMA
VK2KRR
VK2ZMT
VK3SMC
VK3XPT
VK4CZ
VK4EK
VK4JAZ
VK4MIL
VK5AKK
VK5DC
VK5WR
VK5ZRL
VK6ZRY

Condx were fairly average with only 2 stations getting EU paths in the evening, 2EMA and 2KRR. Mark having paths to DF4PV, IW2DZX, OZ7IT, R9SA. Leigh to DL8WF, IW2DZX, OZ7IT, R9SA. Interesting to note the DF4 & DL8 difference where Mark & I are only about 340 Km appart.
Other than this we were missing VK6DZ and no paths were made with VK6. Quite a bit of sporadic E from VK4 SE and around other SE call areas. Nothing real excessively exciting though I dont think but there was some good paths to be had.
There was no 50 MHz spots made.
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

Hi all,

Cold, wet and windy in QF34 today. Solar Flux now dipped to 88 :cry:

Stations active today on 10m WSPR (14)-

VK2EMA
VK2KRR
VK2XN
VK2ZMT
VK3SMC
VK3UN
VK3XPT
VK4CP
VK4LHD
VK4MIL
VK5DC
VK5WR
VK5ZRL
VK7AB

Today has been very quiet, only a couple of spots reported. Matt VK2ZMT and VK2KRR both heard by K1CT, but the only stations to get an OS path so far.
Minimal Es over the great dividing range area from Melbourne to SE VK4. Thats about it so far today, more news later.