Change call when change state?

ACMA, Licencing, and Examination discussion
VK2XSO

Re: Change call when change state?

Post by VK2XSO »

VK4ADC wrote:The grey nomad syndrome is yet another topic.
VK0XXX the new allocation for Caravanastan. The white place without roads can keep the two letter block :)
Maybe it's all of the VK2's and 3's emigrating in retirement that makes it seem that way :P
I'm sure it's the law in VK2/3 :)
VK4ADC
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4ADC »

Go back a few years ( mid-late 70's to mid 80's ) and we had the "C" callsigns reserved for - wait for it - those who were likely to be transferred state to state eg military personnel - but was not limited to just those. The C calls were only ever issued with a single suffix and were treated as permanently portable. If someone applied for a VK4Cxx call then it could not be issued in VK1, 2, 3, 5... Somewhere along the line, these C-calls (as distinct entities) disappeared into the callsign mush, probably as a result of people wanting their initials (/ something meaningful to them) as a 3-letter call.

I don't recall the exact process but it only required a COA (by phone call) to the ACMA (then named P&T/DOC/DOTC/SMA) and the holder adopted a new prefix in line with their current physical Aus state.

Could that phoenix be made to rise again, albeit in a different callsign format, to solve the grey nomad woes ??? WIA, get to it and ask.
Doug VK4ADC, QG62lg51
http://www.vk4adc.com
VK5AJL

Post by VK5AJL »

VK4ADC,
Interesting, thanks for that. I didn't know about C calls. Sounds like a good idea to me but I think I suggested something like that before.
Could that phoenix be made to rise again, albeit in a different callsign format, to solve the grey nomad woes ??? WIA, get to it and ask.
I did ask actually. What I got was an email saying the person answering (office staff I guess) said they didn't know but would make inquiries for me and get back to me. I didn't hold my breath so I can still type this. I suppose it ended up in the "too hard" basket.

I like the suggestion though. If I am operating in QLD I use VK4Cxx or in VIC VK3Cxx etc.
VK1MA
Frequent Poster

Post by VK1MA »

VK2CSW wrote:
VK4ADC wrote: The ACMA requires the permanent station address detail, i.e. where it could reasonably expect to inspect the equipment relevant to that specific amateur licence, <--->They would also use that station location information when considering matters like TV or radiocomm interference and when trying to pinpoint a probable source.
Of course this then falls down as the ACMA allows P.O. Boxes as addresses, and publishes them via the database as station locations...
It is not necessarily the station addresses available through the online database or callbook - if you provide them with your station address and a mailing address then the mailing address is what is made publicly available via their online database. If your station address differs from the mailing address, then your station address is then contained in a field in their database that is not available to the general public. Works for me.

Matt
VK1MA
VK5AJL

Post by VK5AJL »

vk1ma wrote:Works for me.
Good for you but it doesn't work for everyone including me in the near future.
VK1MA
Frequent Poster

Post by VK1MA »

VK5AJL wrote:
vk1ma wrote:Works for me.
Good for you but it doesn't work for everyone including me in the near future.
And the relevance of your comment quoting mine is.....?

As to your concern, have you asked ACMA for their interpretation of the subject - i.e. when you are portable with no fixed address, do you have to change your callsign and or advise them of your changed station address. I am sure that they have dealt with the situation and would be able to provide you with a authoritative response.

Matt
VK1MA
VK2TDN

Post by VK2TDN »

VK2HRX wrote:Nice contradiction in table 1 and the note following the table. I like the idea of having an address as simple as "Australia" :D
out of curiosity, this apparent contradiction, Compton ?

were you referring to opening line ....
"State Indicator - number 0-9 - indicates State or Territory in which the station is operating."
operating compared to....
State of residence as in the Note

Dave
VK2HRX
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2HRX »

Yes Dave, Operating Vs Residence.

Compton
VK2HRX
Compton
VK2HRX
QF56ne, Ryde, Sydney
VK3ZAZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ZAZ »

VK3RX wrote:Was simple when the three letter "C" calls were reserved for those of us who were moved around due work - just change the numeral while in the particular State.

I think that system stopped in the late 70's.
They were COMMONWEALTH calls and got resumed in the end.
I was VK5CGZ and then VK3CGZ

As a ZED call it was a nightmare, I changed states umpteen times from 1967 to 1971 and was VK3ZWG, VK2ZIT VK1ZAZ VK3ZAZ no sooner than ink dry than changed radio stations.

You could get ./pp Permanently portable which Joilmont and old Mrs Mercavich finally agreed to.

My advise is unless you become a permananet resident just sign /p if you live there 6 months you have to change REGO CAR LICENCE amongst other things.

Ive never heard of a ham being booked for overstaying the portable permit period but I got booked at least three times in my life by over zealous cops running interstate plates to the end of their rego period.

:roll:
Tread your own path :om:
ZL3MH
Frequent Poster

Change call when change district ( ZL )

Post by ZL3MH »

Here in ZL you keep your call but you can change it but you might
have to pay now. Not sure. Anyway the calls are all mixed up
and that's no good for VHF DX. I like district call signs etc.

73 Murray ZL3MH