Fibreglass pole for cross booms

2m & 70cm discussion - antennas, propagation, operating, etc
VK3DXE
Forum Diehard

Fibreglass pole for cross booms

Post by VK3DXE »

I'm starting to gather the bits I need to put my next 2m system together. Out of necessity, I need to keep the whole thing as light and compact/uncomplicated as possible with the lowest "visual impact" I can achieve. My plan, for the moment, is to run a pair of 2+ wavelength yagis, stacked horizontally. Ideally I'd like to run a single fibreglass cross boom to avoid the added complication and visual impact of vertical spacers.

I've done a bit of searching, but haven't been able to locate suitable fibreglass pole/s available in Australia. I even thought about trying to source a pole vaulting pole, but the cost is prohibitive (>$1200), unless somebody has an association with an athletics organisation where they might be able to source broken or old ones???

So, I wonder if anybody here can suggest a possible supplier in Australia, preferably Melbourne?

Thanks in anticipation.
Alan VK3DXE
QF21nv
VK3BJM

Re: Fibreglass pole for cross booms

Post by VK3BJM »

Alan,

Don't know if they still carry it, but Quador at 16-18 Queen St, Nunawading used to carry fibreglass profiles; rod, angle and tube. It was a while ago, but I did buy a metre or two of 25 mm OD fibreglass tube from them, to use in a similar situation to yours. It had 3 mm wall, iirc.

Phone number is 9874-7388. Worth a call...

Barry
VK3BJM
VK3ZYC
Forum Novice

Post by VK3ZYC »

Contact RFI or ZCG Scalar. They have F/glass stays for yagi support. Have used a few over the years for various jobs. Various lengths are available.
VK3DXE
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3DXE »

Thanks for the quick responses fellas! I'll follow up these early next week.

Edit: Fibreglass products try Corrosion Technology 9706-0099. From VK3HAH (For easy reference for me at work).
Alan VK3DXE
QF21nv
VK3FKRK

Post by VK3FKRK »

hi there
if you are only after some thin rod you could try electric fince pole or if you need them to be a bit longer horse whips could be used i made a nice 2.5 meter high moble antenna out of one for my fwd and i have not been able to brake it yet :D
VK3DXE
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3DXE »

VK3FKRK wrote:hi there
if you are only after some thin rod you could try electric fince pole or if you need them to be a bit longer horse whips could be used i made a nice 2.5 meter high moble antenna out of one for my fwd and i have not been able to brake it yet :D
Thanks. No I need something at least 25mm OD as it'll be support the weight of 2 yagis.
Alan VK3DXE
QF21nv