increase in power to 1 Kilo Watt for New Zealand Hams

ACMA, Licencing, and Examination discussion
VK6KXW

increase in power to 1 Kilo Watt for New Zealand Hams

Post by VK6KXW »

Ex - the Southgate Amateur Radio News ....
A Kiwi Kilo Watt
Five hundred watts PEP is hardly going to burn a hole in the atmosphere now is it. Some say the California Kilo Watt will strike up the ionosphere somewhat like striking a xenon tube.

Last year a Kiwi Ham Radio operator lost his privileges after bragging about how much power he was running. I don't think there is much sympathy out there for him either as rumor has it that he was told many times he was causing interference.

It must be said it is very rare to see ZL Hams operating in this manner however there exists a certain amount of arrogance within any cross section of the population, some more so than others.

Hawkes Bay Amateur Radio Club, Branch 13 of NZART, has thrown the cat in amongst the pigeons this year with a remit to AGM proposing an increase in power to 1 Kilo Watt for New Zealand Hams. Heracy some may cry, 500 watts is more than enough. Others may drive it down with "MED will never allow it."

Well I decided to ask the question of MED RSM what policy and planning would think of a proposal such as that laid out below. I think you will find the answer somewhat surprising.
More > http://www.zlham.geek.nz/modules.php?na ... =0&thold=0

Extract Copy ....
A Kiwi Kilo Watt
Posted on Wednesday, March 09 @ 12:23:40 NZDT
Topic: Comment From the ZL Ham Editors Desk.

Five hundred watts PEP is hardly going to burn a hole in the atmosphere now is it. Some say the California Kilo Watt will strike up the ionosphere somewhat like striking a xenon tube. Last year a Kiwi Ham Radio operator lost his privileges after bragging about how much power he was running. I don't think there is much sympathy out there for him either as rumor has it that he was told many times he was causing interference. It must be said it is very rare to see ZL Hams operating in this manner however there exists a certain amount of arrogance within any cross section of the population, some more so than others.

Hawkes Bay Amateur Radio Club, Branch 13 of NZART, has thrown the cat in amongst the pigeons this year with a remit to AGM proposing an increase in power to 1 Kilo Watt for New Zealand Hams. Heracy some may cry, 500 watts is more than enough. Others may drive it down with "MED will never allow it."

Well I decided to ask the question of MED RSM what policy and planning would think of a proposal such as that laid out below. I think you will find the answer somewhat surprising.

Remit 6 (Note this may not be the number assigned for the AGM)

That NZART negotiate with RSM to amend the Radiocommunications Regulations to increase the amateur transmitter power output limit to 1000 watts peak envelope power on the following amateur bands: 80 Metres, 40 Metres, 20 Metres, 17 Metres, 15 Metres, 12 Metres, 10 Metres and 2 Metres.
Other bands would remain at the existing 500 watt limit.

Explanatory Note:

1. New Zealand is one of the most remote territories on the planet in amateur radio terms. There are many ZL amateurs whose main interest is DXing, contesting, or who are interested in weak signal work such as E.M.E Moonbounce contacts. NZART support for an increase in power would assist their efforts and help keep ZL amateurs internationally renowned in DXing circles and help them remain competitive in international contesting by allowing them to operate with similar power levels being used by others.

2. Such an increase would bring us into line with progressive administrations in other countries such as the United States, Canada and many other countries in the EU.

3. An increase in power from 500 to 1000 watts would have little or no impact on the NZ Standard for Radiated Emissions. Modern amplifiers operate cleanly with little or no interference to the rest of the spectrum and would have no impact on digital TV. We would not expect a rise in interference complaints and there has been no evidence of widespread issues in countries where 1000w or more is allowed.

In hinde sight of this article, Hawkes Bay may like to add a little more to their remit. The remit is very timely however perhaps they do not realize just how timely it really is. To me it looks like this remit is not without merrit. Of course most of us would like to run high power to allow more enjoyment during solar minimum. The cost is another thing and I am sure if you want something enough money will appear.

Whether this subject has been broached before is something I do not know. Perhaps my readership can tell me. One thing is for sure, I think this needs to be supported by all Hams. Hams are seen as responsible. We pride ourselves on our on-air standards, technical knowledge, innovative spirit and operating skills. We have a written code of conduct and so I am informed, a unwritten one as well.

I certainly aspire to getting it right even if I am acutely aware that I am not perfect. My number plate surround reads... I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken. The underlying thrust here is to encourage debate and a workable solution.

So the main issue here is not whether we want more power but how we go about pushing it forward with MED RSM. Perhaps the main point Hawkes Bay may have missed is the 6 meter band changes. When I saw that MED RSM were starting to form tangible policy around the DSO, Digital Switch Over, my immediate thoughts turned to related matters. The Hawkes Bay remit was very timely indeed and seizing the chance, I asked MED RSM how they felt about the remit and our chances.

I made it clear to my contact at MED that I wished to publish the response and this is the second article in a series related to questions I posed to MED RSM. A copy of the Hawkes Bay remit was also sent to MED. MED clarified and answered all my questions and were very forthcoming with information and my thanks to them.

The following points were made.

As far as I am aware we haven't actually had a formal approach yet from NZART re increasing power from 500W to 1000W, but we will look at it in due course.

Domestic TVI has been a past problem, however after 2013 that won't be an issue any more so perhaps the power increase is an issue worth revisiting in the context of the 6 metre band changes.

So the question has been asked, can we have more power? Of course a mandate by way of remit is always a good start however hardly of any consequence. The matter is already under review. All we had to do was ask. The natural progression is to develop a strategy to deal with the issues raised by MED RSM.

A simple education campaign and some additions to the examination syllabus leading up to DSO could satisfy these concerns and of course an ongoing commitment to self police. So 1Kw PEP out power may become a reality faster than we think as long as we play our cards right. Good luck with the remit Hawkes Bay and thank you for putting it forward.

Members are encouraged to comment. Just click on Post Comment button at the bottom of the page. Please vote in the online poll!

We know what the Kiwi's are up too post analogue what are YOU getting for your moneys worth from the WIA or is this organization moribund/irrelevant and as many think have voted with their feet.

YOU Pay The Bills to a organization that only represents a third of licensee's which needs to go into Liquidation.
YOU would be better approaching the ARRL to represent/negotiate your interests in this country at least THEY are professionals.

Stand up for your rights in this country it is YOUR life; don't be the door mat of the vested interests of governments and clique's.

Peter
VK6KXW (ex-WIA 20yrs ago-nothing changes)
ZL2TLD

Re: increase in power to 1 Kilo Watt for New Zealand Hams

Post by ZL2TLD »

It is currently only a remit to our national council for the AGM in June. The membership will decide about putting it formally to the regulatory authorities via the national organisation.

Personally I feel, and will propose an amendment such, that the 500W we are currently permitted is quite satisfactory, but that there could be a case-by-case permit facility for the few (probably less than a hundred) ZL ops that really need/want to run more than 500W.

With such a permit, managing filthy signals from poorly adjusted equipment will be much easier. I have already said my piece on a ZL message board about this matter, and I don't really want to see hundreds of appliance operators stretching to a kilowatt 'because we can' on their 718s or 857s, with the mic gain wound up to full, taking up 50kHz of BW. Like we get regularly during contest, and I'm sure you get it too.

De Glenn, ZL2TLD, RE79tb, Masterton, New Zealand.
ZL2WHO
Frequent Poster

Post by ZL2WHO »

Raising the power from 500 to 1k is a 3dB increase. My home brew PA runs just a little over 500 watts. If I wanted to build another PA I would not waste my time going to 1kw as the increase in power at that level would not make bugger all differance. I can't understand why the MED don't specify EIRP like they do for FM broadcast. 500 watts base power into 4 x 10 element yagis is one hell of an eirp. de Mark.
ZL1RS
Forum Diehard

Post by ZL1RS »

A done deal ... and only 5 months after the remit was passed at this year's NZART conference!

http://tinyurl.com/843eafa section 5, paragraph 5.

Like some wag said ... this change moves some ZL Hams 500W closer to being legal :lol:

73, Bob ZL1RS
Bob, ZL1RS in the Bay of Islands at RF64vs
VK3DXE
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3DXE »

Good to see some good work being done!

And now for something to be done about our archaic limits in VK.

The Kiwis are now able to run 8 times the power we are allowed on most modes.
Alan VK3DXE
QF21nv
VK4TS

Post by VK4TS »

Read your copy past copies of AR - this has been ongoing for some time with ACMA

Regards