RSP MW 2000 Power Supplies AC terminals exposed.

ATUs, PSUs, Rotators, Test Equipment, components, etc
VK3ZAZ
Forum Diehard

RSP MW 2000 Power Supplies AC terminals exposed.

Post by VK3ZAZ »

As supplied the 30V 30A RSP-2000 supplies with the wire in rear connector are exposed.

It is not possible to wire this up and leave it on an open bench without the live terminals exposed.

The open screw connectors on the 100-240VAC on the rear of these sm supplies make them illegal to use in an open uncontrolled area.
All appliance tags (and this is an appliance) are illegal under VIC law if not tagged every 2 years.
Every appliance lead has to be tagged as made safe.

I am disappointed that in the discussions about good supplies that no one mentioned that the AC terminals were exposed.

I am warning people who might be inclined to buy one of these in who have little kids around with inquistive fingers.

Not happy that I bought one in in good faith for nearly $500 only to find that the live terminals are exposed.

It would be dangerous to use s**t products like this.

http://www.meanwell.com/search/rsp-1000 ... 0-spec.pdf

It is not obvious until you get the product that the terminals are all at one end and carry live AC voltages and DC.

AC connector on RH end

DC on LH End 20 cm apart.
Tread your own path :om:
ZL4PLM

Re: RSP MW 2000 Power Supplies AC terminals exposed.

Post by ZL4PLM »

I think your missing one vital point.

These PSU's are not meant to sit on the bench - they are not built for that purpose.

They are meant to be built into equipment ... they are not standalone devices

They are meant to be bolted inside a case - made safe from those prying fingers.

Please read the PDF you supplied the link to:

4. The power supply is considered a component which will be installed into a final equipment. The final equipment must be re-confirmed that it still meets
EMC directives

There is nothing &(*&( about meanwell PSU's IMHO they are the best on the market - the only issue is that you have misunderstood the use of the device thats all

73 Simon ZL4PLM
ZL2WHO
Frequent Poster

Post by ZL2WHO »

It does come back to the user i think. Its up there with hot soldering irons. dangerous in the wrong hands. In my amps all 230 V have plastic covers over exposed terminals, sure as s**t ill be the one that gets a zap. Iv been a reg. sparky for 25 years, still cant get used to gettin a zap. ! It is a serious subject tho, a mate got caught up in a audio amp many years ago while his wife was mowin the lawns out side, she couldnt hear his cries for help. It cause bad damage to his hand. Go easy with the mains, install RCDs in the shack !! :idea:
VK2JDH

Post by VK2JDH »

VK3ZAZ wrote:All appliance tags (and this is an appliance) are illegal under VIC law if not tagged every 2 years.
Every appliance lead has to be tagged as made safe.
For domestic appliance?
VK2TDN

Post by VK2TDN »

ZL4PLM wrote:I think your missing one vital point.
These PSU's are not meant to sit on the bench - they are not built for that purpose.
They are meant to be built into equipment ... they are not standalone devices
They are meant to be bolted inside a case - made safe from those prying fingers.
Please read the PDF you supplied the link to:
4. The power supply is considered a component which will be installed into a final equipment. The final equipment must be re-confirmed that it still meets
EMC directives
There is nothing &(*&( about meanwell PSU's IMHO they are the best on the market - the only issue is that you have misunderstood the use of the device thats all
73 Simon ZL4PLM
TOTALLY agree Simon. and also with a couple of other brands that do the same thing regarding AC and DC power connections. They ARE for INTERNAL installation into equip. The company I work for uses dozens of them ( the jaycar style ones cant get jaycar on www at the moment to show them)

cheers
Dave
VK2CSW
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2CSW »

All the Meanwell PS we use here (literally thousands of them) have a little plastic cover that can be clipped or screwed over the AC terminals.

This passes the "standard test finger test". As has already been said these are not a standalone PSU but a component.

Also, afaik, Test and Tag does not related to domestic use as it is an OH&S procedure.
VK3BJM

Post by VK3BJM »

Can any bright sparkie out there tell me the specific AS/NZS Standard that details 240 v cable terminations to such screw terminal strips?

A friend of a friend of a friend of a friend of a... knows of a piece of broadcast equipment that is being foisted upon them, with similarly exposed terminals on the outside of the subrack. Sure, there is a perspex plate that bolts in place over the top of the terminal strip, but... The friend of a friend of a friend of a friend of a... thinks this is an issue, and wants some hard supporting evidence to back up their reluctance to accept the gear.

Barry
VK3BJM
ZL2WHO
Frequent Poster

Post by ZL2WHO »

The way i see it is that it only takes one goose to get a shock and then the big wigs get involved. If i remove the plastic cover of a domestic aircon unit this will expose terminals and a fuse, go in there with a wandering finger and then you asking for a zap. As previously discussed if the meanwell PSU is on the bench then its a different story, but if its concealed within a enclousure of some sort then not a problem. Common sense goes a long way.
Typical example is standard lighting 1mm 2 core and earth cable. Once apon a time it was ok to use RBG colours for a 2 way lighting cct. Some goose didnt test and killed himself as the green and black were live. Now its mandatory to use a RWB phase colours for two way switching. Go carefull with the mains as it can kill !!. If your not sure then ask a sparky.

mark.
VK4YOI

Post by VK4YOI »

Hi Barry

Have you tried the SAI Glabal (Standards Australia online) web site, you can search the standards available.

You could try AS/NZS3100 for a start, this is the generic standard for equipment safety, there will be a specific standard(s) applicable as well.

Also if the equipment you are talking about is fixed, then AS/NZS3000, protection against direct contact may be appropriate.
VK3BJM

Post by VK3BJM »

Thanks Marty.

I spent 45 minutes yesterday wading through Google, with many attempts to narrow down the search to avoid fixed cabling in buildings, etc, etc, and couldn't locate anything that appeared appropriate - or downloadable free of charge!

I did try the SA site - but was presented with eleventy different standards to wade through - so I persisted with Googling before giving up and asking the question here.

I'll chase up the two standards you've suggested and have a read. Yes, the subrack is fixed in a rack, so not portable.

Thanks again.

Barry
VK3BJM
VK3FKRK

Post by VK3FKRK »

Here in Vic we have a Gov Department call 'ENERGY SAFE VICTORIA" they would be the best one to ask. Other them that there is the reg book 'AS 3000" most sparky would have one
ken
VK2AVR

Post by VK2AVR »

ZL2WHO wrote:The way i see it is that it only takes one goose to get a shock and then the big wigs get involved. If i remove the plastic cover of a domestic aircon unit this will expose terminals and a fuse, go in there with a wandering finger and then you asking for a zap. As previously discussed if the meanwell PSU is on the bench then its a different story, but if its concealed within a enclousure of some sort then not a problem. Common sense goes a long way.
Common sense does go a long way and if you are determined to electrocute yourself (domestic aircon cover remover) then the most pedantic overbearing laws in the world aren't going to make any difference.

The meanwells are designed as internal equipment supplies, NOT bench supplies. They are fit for purpose and good quality, end of story. If you're using one as a general bench supply then that's a risk you have chosen to take but it is very bad practice.
VK2CSW
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2CSW »

VK2MIA wrote: Common sense does go a long way and if you are determined to electrocute yourself (domestic aircon cover remover) then the most pedantic overbearing laws in the world aren't going to make any difference.

The meanwells are designed as internal equipment supplies, NOT bench supplies. They are fit for purpose and good quality, end of story. If you're using one as a general bench supply then that's a risk you have chosen to take but it is very bad practice.
But won't someone pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease think of the children??????????????????????

Good grief,
I can't believe that someone would even take the time to write the original post.

How can someone be so "risk adverse" yet so willing to offload their own common sense and their own responsibilities to others?

Let me rewrite the scenario:
I am using a Meanwell PSU incorrectly, it is not in an enclosure and the safety cover is not in place.
They should make a law that forces the manufacturer to stop me being dumb.

Stick the flamin' thing in a box if you are so worried.