WSPR operations on 144 MHz

WSPR discussion
VK4FP
Frequent Poster

Re: WSPR operations on 144 MHz

Post by VK4FP »

Caw Gary...WSPR King in Darwin soon..Too many green lines there'll be on that google map.
Good chance getting a bit of 2m DX north of you ,across the drink ..
Darwin ..The DX Haven for 2m TEP...Lucky you..
So..Gary the Garden Stakes now are up on the Tower as well.
I'll be setup for 2m WSPR this summer too.
Looking forward to a few spots .
Like the piccies too.
Lloyd..
VK4ABW
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4ABW »

Thanks Lloyd. The 70cm yagi is still in the garden thou....not going to bother with that band.
Stay tuned for 2mtr wspr. I tested it over the weekend on the IC910H and it worked well. Just waiting for the new Tiger boxes to arrive so that i can leave one plugged into the 2mtr rig.
More lines required....
Roll on summer Es..... :roll:
VK2VHF

Post by VK2VHF »

OK I need help.

I am using WSPR for RX and while I can see and hear WSPR signals, I cannot decode them.

For example tonight I am RXing on 40m so have the rig dial set to USB 7.038.600. Using HRD DM780 waterfall I can see local WSPR signals on 7.040.100 and I can see them on the WSPR waterfall. After RXing, WSPR briefly says "decoding" but I do not copy any callsigns???

Any tips on what I am doing wrong?

Cheers, Adrian
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

Adrian, I'll send u a private msg to sort it out.
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

One here for Rob VK1KW, check out that doppler signal to the right of your main signal on the spec lab screen. Quite unusual compared to the normal ones I see here usually very close to the main signal.
VK1KW doppler
VK1KW doppler
VK1KW
Frequent Poster

Post by VK1KW »

Hello Leigh
I guess the curved doppler line would have crossed the direct carrier line as aeroplane went past. See that a lot when looking at Newcastle TV.
Cheers
Rob vk1kw
Regards
Rob
VK1KW
VK2MER
Forum Novice

Post by VK2MER »

? dont know ..
Attachments
wspr.JPG
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

Hi Kirk

Ur using v2.0 which is fairly old. Here is a more up to date version with some extra features, maybe better decoder? not sure on that :
http://www.physics.princeton.edu/pulsar ... _r2286.EXE

From what I can see the signal timing is out. At a guess the signals are at least 10 sec late. Im not sure if thats ur end or Robs. The one way to check is to see if anyone else gets the same timing error from Robs signal.
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

We have had a great lot of stations on 2m WSPR since Saturday. Was happy to see VK5GF, VK5AKK, VK5ACY, VK5PJ, VK5ZRL and VK5BC all giving it a shot :D Also a number of others in VK1, VK2, VK3, VK4 and VK7. The more that are set up and running on 2m WSPR the more interesting and suprising it can become.

If possible, it would be great to see many more stations giving it a go. From a south eastern perspective, I think we'd really benefit from some new stations in the Mount Gambier area SE VK5; Melbourne, Geelong, Gippsland, Port Lincoln, northern VK7, just to name a few.

Queensland coastal paths would also be interesting.

VK3SMC, VK3DXE and VK3AMZ have been running quite regularly from Melbourne area. For people concerned about Aircraft doppler interference, we have found that sometimes the doppler signal will stop WSPR decodes, but also that if the doppler is stready enough, that it can also be decoded sometimes. Ocassionally 2 signals will decode, the doppler and the main signal.

I have only been running 2 Watts from the rig here and have excellent deocdes from Arie and slightly more difficult to Simon, being not in as good a location.

Phil VK5AKK has been running his station on WSPR every morning from about 8.15am to 9.30am, beaming east with 50 Watts, he would be happy to turn his antenna further north or south (or west :wink: ) for anyone interested in testing.

The major issue that many face is their frequency stability on transmit, also general long term drifting. Though most I have seen are fairly stable once thay have found the correct freq range. Here, GPS locking of rigs would be VERY beneficial.
VK1JA
Forum Diehard

Post by VK1JA »

Great to see the numbers oming up on 2m WSPR !

Looking at the WSPR map for the 24hrs to 1.30pm today, 25th Sept 2012 it shows that VK3AMZ spotted both DL6NL and OZ7IT on 2m WSPR... I'm thinking this may be a mistake somewhere :shock:

Edit: I'll might run WSPR for the next few days beaming SE and see what I can hear.
Attachments
2mWSPR.JPG
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

Hi Jayson

Thats a little strange the 24 hour map u have doesn't show VK5AKK from this morning, not sure whats happened there. (edit-ops sorry looks like you had it set to AMZ spots only, that explains it)

I got a message posted from Jorgen OZ7IT earlier today dismissing the 2m spots -
Jørgen Balslev: Would have liked this to be true: 2012-09-24 07:34 OZ7IT 144.490553 -20 0 JO65df 5 VK3AMZ QF22fe 15980 82, but I tx'ed on 10m ;-)

I'd say VK3AMZ was on 10m band with the program still set to 144 MHz hence incorrectly being reported to 2m. Its happens, I did it with a spot from VK8AW over the weekend also.

Not sure on your 2m set up there, but I would probably beam in toward Melbourne. Rob VK1KW was decoded by VK3AMZ (and others?) over the weekend.

I'll probably do a 10m WSPR stint from 0400 utc till sundown, while the 2m band conditions are usually at their worst. Then back on 2m for the evening.
VK1JA
Forum Diehard

Post by VK1JA »

G'day Leigh,

I thought that might be the case re the 2m spots - I've done the exact same thing - sooo easy to do !!

I've got a fairly simple setup here, it's used mainly for sat work - 4el 2m yagi, vertically pol with a boom mounted ARR pre amp. I'll aim Melb way and I'll be using 5w, we'll see what pops up over the next few days.
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

Jayson,

Im not sure how you will go using vertical as all the guys are on horizontal currently. There would be a fair bit of attenuation.
VK2FAK

Post by VK2FAK »

Hi all....

Another way to get a spot showing on the wrong band, as I found out, is to switch bands while the program is still processing the last time period on the previous band.....any spots show up on the new band.....so keep an eye out for that one.

John
VK2VHF

Post by VK2VHF »

I'll RX on 2m from now on. I've got a vertical but you never know :shock:

Anyway, 40m and 20m WSPR are to easy :D

Adrian
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

Adrian,

That will be a bit more of a challenge for you :)

Maybe Jayson VK1JA would be better beaming your way Adrian, same polarisation will have more of a chance.
VK1JA
Forum Diehard

Post by VK1JA »

Ah yes, different polarisation will be a killer, but would you beleive that VK3AMZ received me tonight at -19db !! Is it possible for the polarisation to change as it bounces off of aircraft or via tropo?

But good point Leigh, I'll swing the yagi around and shoot up Adrian's way for a few days (mainly in the mornings) and see how things go between us.

It just gives me more incentive to get the dual polarisation (switched) yagi's up that are sitting in the back yard, unused..... :roll:

Edit - A LOT of noise for me pointing in that direction, +10dB with the pre amp on, S2-3 with it turned off, so I don't think I'll be too good on receive, but I'll still give it a try for a while :(
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

Ive never seen a polarity change through tropo, but via aircraft? not sure, maybe. Or perhaps if it was AE the strength was strong enough to overcome the different polarity losses? VK3AMZ has a bit of a super station down there.
VK2VHF

Post by VK2VHF »

Ok great. I will monitor from 5.30am to around 8am on Thursday and Friday.

Worth a try. Thanks

Adrian
VK1JA
Forum Diehard

Post by VK1JA »

Looks like VK2BLS heard my WSPR today at -19dB, just a short trip but strange as it was at about 11am.

VK2BLS - if you read this in time, it'd be interesting to see a screen capture of the decode and see if it was from AE (doppler drift etc).