ACMA inspecting lots of F Calls

ACMA, Licencing, and Examination discussion
VK2AAH
Forum Diehard

Re: ACMA inspecting lots of F Calls

Post by VK2AAH »

It's more than dodgy... it is illegal as the licensee has not given him consent to do so. The problem is that quite a few emergency service personnel who also happen to be radio enthusiasts (either AROs or scanner enthusiasts) like to be seen with the latest "you bute" bit of technology.... sadly their enthusiasm sometimes exceeds their understanding of what they are doing. ACMA rules, what are they?

Cheers,

Richard
VK2AAH
VK2GOM

Post by VK2GOM »

...because you have to search for 'CB Burner' 8)

80W amp on there now, will ship worldwide, including Australia.

In these days of internet shopping, I think any agency - ACMA or otherwise - would be hard pushed to have everything coming in monitored. I buy loads of stuff from abroad, mainly China and Japan - optical stuff, electronic components, bike parts, radio bits etc. I can't be alone. The ramp-up in parcel handling of incoming parcels to Australia must have shot up thousands of % in the last few years in the internet / eBay age. If anything, there are just more narcotics swabs taken, and more Spaniels running around on conveyor belts sniffing the packages. I think that's their main concern they are addressing.

73 - Rob VK2GOM / G0MOH
VK6POP

Post by VK6POP »

If you've not read the Amateur LCD give it a go - it won't take long to work out that it's all about BEHAVIOUR of the Amateur and not EQUIPMENT TYPE

The problem is, that since our "rules" were written, the number and type of frequency versatile, programmable radios on the market has grown dramatically.

In the current episode under discussion, ACMA appeared to focus on equipment ahead of behaviour. One of the aspects of the WIA's negotiations with the authority on this matter is that under the line taken by ACMA no commercially produced Amateur rigs is legal - there are parts of, for instance, the 80m band that the rigs will Tx on that no VK operator is authorised to use, eg that bit between 3.7 MHz and the Dx window.

The matter of ACMA policy (or lack of clarity therein) in this regard is still under discussion between the ACMA and the WIA.

cheers

Bob
VK6POP
VK2AAH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2AAH »

Bob,

I think a little common sense is needed, or at least some refinement to the regulations. There needs to be one interpretation applying to DC-30MHz, given the variations in bands internationally, however I hope that the WIA takes a harder line on VHF & UHF (in particular) use of broadband, keypad frequency entry, radios in AR applications. It is all very nice talking about focusing on "behavior" but that then exposes licenced services to potential interference & puts the onus back on ACMA to enforce such matters when they happen. Given the events that provoked the crack down in Melbourne (but not mentioned at all in this forum) I think that the time when AROs were that well trusted has gone...

Cheers,

Richard
VK2AAH
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

events that provoked the crack down in Melbourne
What were these events? If they are public knowledge there would have been a lot more sympathy for the ACMA's crusade on this forum. All I have heard is a few "stories" like the one with the kid and the control tower.

What DID happen in Melbourne to trigger these events?

Cheers

Wayne VK4WDM
VK2AAH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2AAH »

Wayne,

I'm not really at liberty to say however it involved complaints from an emergency service about ongoing interference.

Cheers,

Richard
VK2AAH
VK3ZFS

Post by VK3ZFS »

I would guess for every broad TX hand held owned by a Ham, there would be 100 owned by john citizen, but as we known by ACMA its easy for ACMA to check Hams 1st.
ACMA is in a pickle, need to stamp out interference to Licenced users with there limited resources, I think the only option is Gaol for offenders, that will send a message to behave ;)
VK2AAH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2AAH »

I think it is wrong for amateurs to treat such matters as a bit of a joke, even if it is meant to be in jest.

Of course you are right that there are plenty of unlicenced users but again, only from what I heard, they had good "intel" as to who the offenders were. They had reason to visit SOME amateurs. It wasn't done to fill in time on a quiet day...

Cheers,

Richard
VK2AAH
VK4IK

Post by VK4IK »

VK2HRD wrote:
vk3laj wrote:If the ACMA or the WIA can stop people like this, then it can only be a good thing!!
(removed callsign and some other info - its on vkham if you care to look it up)

Why on earth would an F-Call have the need for a 500 watt amp!! This really gets me angry.. People passing the F-exam with no real knowledge or skill and then do whatever they like.. Would anyone agree that a time limit/expiry should be placed on an F-CALL to upgrade? If they're a ham they will, if they're a cb'er with a ham radio then it should weed them out.

I think the F-Call license opens the gates for idiots (not all f-calls obviously) to have the ability to buy equipment that they simply shouldnt have. If they are the ones causing interference then they are making us ALL look bad!

You don't need an F call to buy equipment, just check ebay for a dual bander or whatever, out of band operation too on a lot of that stuff

Perhaps with some conditions (ie does not apply to people under the age of 18 or something) ? :roll:

<END OF RANT>
I agree with you to a point but My daughter is 12 and is very proud of the fact that she has a amateur lic and is an F call my Wife and Me have recently separated (not the issue just background) I can't see my daughter upgrading her lic for a number of years as her mother is uncooperative at best. Are you saying that she should be made to upgrade her lic given that she is starting high school and has a new set of Study priorities that would be unfair.To my knowledge she has operated well with in the boundaries of her lic and won't even go up in power to sign of if she looses the repeater due to travelling.
Just putting a different slant on things. :mrgreen:
VK2MUS
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2MUS »

I think the F-Call license opens the gates for idiots (not all f-calls obviously) to have the ability to buy equipment that they simply shouldn’t have. If they are the ones causing interference then they are making us ALL look bad!
actually any one even the ones that don't hold a license can go and buy any type of gear they desire and use it - the idiots don't need to do the F license exam and it they are running illegal gear it is highly likely that they will not take the time to sit for the exam no matter how easy or hard it is. There is a lot of spectrum on the ham bands where they can sit and chat with their idiot friends without ever been found. The problem is not the F call it is that any one can purchase a transmitter and amp over the counter or on the internet without ever been asked if they are licensed. The add you quote does not appear to say that the F call operator ever actually operated the gear and if he did not then he has done nothing wrong under the current Acts and regulations. I have a 400W transceiver which will be repaired by me under the desk at present - when I get my full upgrade I intend to use it as it is a good unit - there is nothing illegal in that as long as I don't transmit with it until I have the required license grade.
People passing the F-exam with no real knowledge or skill
You seem to be have some extensive knowledge of the skill levels of all the F call operators - the F license does not always equate to a lack of skill in electronics or operation of a radio
Would anyone agree that a time limit/expiry should be placed on an F-CALL to upgrade?
when they put a time limit/expiry on standard licence to upgrade to advance then I might agree. Why people are getting their F licence is varied and may not fit your view of the hobby - some are quite happy working low power, some never want to build home brew some are just too young to upgrade - the reason for entering the hobby is much more varied now adays but one sho0uld remember that under an Act of Parliament we have 3 classes of licence foundation, standard and advanced not simply standard and advanced, and foundation licece operator has the same rights as any other class to opperate his/her radio
From the Hill in Muswellbrook. VK2MUS
VK2AAH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2AAH »

when they put a time limit/expiry on standard licence to upgrade to advance then I might agree.

False logic there I'm afraid... Why was the term "Foundation" chosen? It infers that the intent of the licence class is to build up towards something higher (ie. Standard or Advanced), and not just stop there. They could have chosen "Basic" or "Mic Jockey" but they chose "Foundation". The very name says a lot.

I still maintain the view that the Foundation class can be the saviour of the hobby- or it can mark the demise of the hobby. If it just results in more band noise without translating into a fresh injection of Standard & Advanced licence holders- then it will prove to be an abject failure. It might be true that not all Novices upgraded either, but even Novices had to have some fundamental technical knowledge & were far more restricted in the privileges they had.

But anyway- this has totally drifted the subject.... Ads like the one quoted are the very reason why ACMA take an interest in F calls.

Cheers,

Richard
VK2AAH
VK4BVI
Forum Novice

Post by VK4BVI »

I'm not really at liberty to say however it involved complaints from an emergency service about ongoing interference.
It is not a secret, the article is here - http://www.thecourier.com.au/news/local ... 38115.aspx

Ron
VK4BVI
VK2TDN

Post by VK2TDN »

so it didnt say anything about this clown being an AR operator. was he ? and if he wasnt, what does that have to do with the so called "ACMA inspecting lots of F call" issue ?

Dave
VK3BA
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3BA »

VK2TDN wrote:so it didnt say anything about this clown being an AR operator. was he ? and if he wasnt, what does that have to do with the so called "ACMA inspecting lots of F call" issue ?

Dave
The person concerned in the newspaper article was not a licensed amateur. I've heard he was up to no-good for some time.

Without adding further fuel to the fire - as enough appears to have been tipped on already - the ACMA needs to track down the illegal / unlicensed stations and process them accordingly. All along, the ACMA have been looking in the wrong areas - no surprises there. This was part of the process of "blooding-in" some of the new RI's. It's all history now of course.
Nik VK3BA
Bannockburn
http://www.qrz.com/db/VK3BA
VK2MUS
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2MUS »

There is interference on the police bands in my town - the worse being a want to be disk jockey broadcasting music on the local police freq - he did not last long - as far as I know I am the only F call operator in town and there are only 3 advanced operators in town and it was none of them - just some kid with some money and an ebay account. The only other 'interferance' is some truck drivers from the mines using 40M as a CB can't say if they are licensed or not they don't use call signs use cb handles so assume they are not licensed. If the ACMA really wants to catch them just tune in around shift knock off times around the mines. When you are bringing home the money these people earn at the mines you can afford some good illegal gear.
VK2AAH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2AAH »

VK3BA wrote:
Dave
The person concerned in the newspaper article was not a licensed amateur. I've heard he was up to no-good for some time.

Without adding further fuel to the fire - as enough appears to have been tipped on already - the ACMA needs to track down the illegal / unlicensed stations and process them accordingly. All along, the ACMA have been looking in the wrong areas - no surprises there. This was part of the process of "blooding-in" some of the new RI's. It's all history now of course.[/quote]

Dave,

Blooding in? What a strange term. Do you mean training them in how to deal with the public by doing station audits? What is wrong with that? I'd prefer to have field staff trained properly than having them fresh out of a workshop... Using terms like "blooding in" is just irresponsible. They have done nothing wrong- and it is about time we showed some appreciation that we have an ACMA that still does this type of work because one day we might not have any- and then watch the hobby go down the tube.

Cheers,

Richard
VK2AAH
VK2XSO

Post by VK2XSO »

I've been thinking about what to say when they come to the door. Today I worked it out.

Are you here for the ionising or the non-ionising radiation ?
Last edited by VK2XSO on Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VK2HRD

Post by VK2HRD »

VK2XSO wrote:I've been thinking about what to say when they come to the door. Today I worked it out.

Are you hear for the ionising or the non-ionising radiation ?
Maybe you should stick a radio active item :wink: :wink: near your front door and answer it with a Geiger counter in your hand and watch their reaction. :mrgreen: :lol:
VK2MUS
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2MUS »

VK2HRD wrote:
VK2XSO wrote:I've been thinking about what to say when they come to the door. Today I worked it out.

Are you hear for the ionising or the non-ionising radiation ?
Maybe you should stick a radio active item :wink: :wink: near your front door and answer it with a Geiger counter in your hand and watch their reaction. :mrgreen: :lol:
you have not been to his house or seen him laterly I assume - I make it a habit to scan the extra bed room with my geiger counter the morning after he sleeps over here just in case - Had a chap who said he was an Inspector knock on the door - I said it ok mate my elmers is VK2XSO he turned white and high tailed it to the car and went like the dickens - have no idea why :twisted:
VK2HRX
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2HRX »

This might solve some of the questions asked etc re these investigations.

http://radiocomms.cmail2.com/t/y/l/sdydkk/hituehlt/i/

3 months seems a bit short to me...

Compton
VK2HRX
Compton
VK2HRX
QF56ne, Ryde, Sydney