ACMA inspecting lots of F Calls

ACMA, Licencing, and Examination discussion
VK4GHZ
Forum Diehard

Re: ACMA inspecting lots of F Calls

Post by VK4GHZ »

ACMA wrote:One offender, who held an amateur foundation licence, had his licence suspended for three months. The other offender was unlicensed.One offender, who held an amateur foundation licence, had his licence suspended for three months. The other offender was unlicensed.
I agree, three months is nothing.
People like this make ALL amateurs look stupid, irresponsible, and technically incompetent. :evil:
Adam, Brisbane
vk4ghz.com
VK4GHZ on Youtube
VK4GHZ on Odysee

10 things that happen when you stop checking Facebook constantly: http://tiny.cc/t5h7cz

How to quit Facebook: https://www.consumerreports.org/social- ... -facebook/
VK2AAH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2AAH »

And what about those who used this forum to insult the ACMA staff involved? I know that expecting any "oops, wasn't I silly" would be unrealistic but some of us would like to think that all responsible Amateurs would unite to congratulate the ACMA officers involved for bringing this person before the courts. Knowing some of these ACMA officers I know they were in pain restraining themselves from responding to a number of irresponsible comments made here, but they were legally unable to defend their actions until the law dealt with the matter. Now we know that it wasn't training, it wasn't "blooding in", it wasn't filling in time while things were quiet- they were doing the job that they are paid to do.

Cheers,

Richard
VK2AAH
VK2XSO

Post by VK2XSO »

VK2HRD wrote: Maybe you should stick a radio active item near your front door and answer it with a Geiger counter in your hand and watch their reaction.
Haven't you learned from Mark not to make jokes like that ?
You do use that door too remember !

I've heard that the ACMA have escalated jurisdiction of my case to ARPANSA. :mrgreen:
VK2MUS
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2MUS »

Maybe you should stick a radio active item near your front door and answer it with a Geiger counter in your hand and watch their reaction.
its not the radiation that one has to worry about - its the 'improbability drive' in the back room thats the problem. I have seen the effects of it VK2XSO-8 going from home to just inside the Antarctica land mass in under an hour and Vk2XSO-9 driving across to Madagascar and back in a day on APRS , he keeps telling me its a problem with the digi repeaters but then this is a man who has Q as his icon :shock:

John
From the Hill in Muswellbrook. VK2MUS
VK5IR
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5IR »

Its funny that after posting my comments here ( viewtopic.php?f=23&t=10719&p=33289#p33289 ) yesterday, I got a knock on the door from THE man today. I wasn't home.

To make things clear, the radio mentioned doesn't belong to me.

Don't worry Mr ACMA, I will be returning your call.

Theo
VK5IR
VK5PO

Post by VK5PO »

These unannounced "visits" from the ACMA???

Although they can come here anytime they wish, It would be proper of them to let you know they are coming.

Maybe that is no good for Mark, David and Co, as it possibly diminishes the "surprise" element.

That must be the ONLY reason they rock up at ones doorstep unannounced.

Fair go guys, most of us are responsible operators, and would not do anything silly to jeopardise our AR Licenses. (I think?)

Next time you want to drop by here at Lewiston, do so unannounced, but in the case of "common courtesy" here is my mobile Number:

0415 692 654..... Actually you must have a record of it fella's, as Laureen in Canberra called me several times only last week!

Keep up the good work, lets have ZERO TOLERANCE for radio piracy and spectrum anarchy!

cheers all.
John, VK5PO
VK5IR
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5IR »

VK5PO wrote:These unannounced "visits" from the ACMA???
Yep, sure was, had no idea they wanted to visit. I had a note left by Mark.

Mark, you're welcome to pop around. I'll call you to work out a time. I'll have a cold beer ready for you. ;)
Theo
VK5IR
VK5IR
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5IR »

They're in town this week giving talks at 3 of our local clubs and I was randomly selected for a visit. I just called him back, nice enough bloke. Having not been home he moved on. He said he'll leave it for now.
Theo
VK5IR
VK3BA
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3BA »

VK5PO wrote:These unannounced "visits" from the ACMA???

Although they can come here anytime they wish, It would be proper of them to let you know they are coming.

Maybe that is no good for Mark, David and Co, as it possibly diminishes the "surprise" element.

That must be the ONLY reason they rock up at ones doorstep unannounced.

Fair go guys, most of us are responsible operators, and would not do anything silly to jeopardise our AR Licenses. (I think?)

Next time you want to drop by here at Lewiston, do so unannounced, but in the case of "common courtesy" here is my mobile Number:

0415 692 654..... Actually you must have a record of it fella's, as Laureen in Canberra called me several times only last week!

Keep up the good work, lets have ZERO TOLERANCE for radio piracy and spectrum anarchy!

cheers all.
John, VK5PO
What's the issue?? If they rock up to a commercial site to carry out random inspections (which they often do) to check compliance, labelling, etc, why not amateur stations?

If your station is compliant, what's the problem? From what I've seen, the labelling & paperwork department of many stations, mainly repeater sites, needs to get up to speed with what occurs at commercial sites. Tick the boxes and you'll get a smile... :)

Cheers,
Nik VK3BA
Bannockburn
http://www.qrz.com/db/VK3BA
VK5PO

Post by VK5PO »

If you read what I wrote Nick, you will see I do not actually have an issue...

It is COMMON COURTESY to call someone before you come for a visit.

Just because you are a government dept., You should not overlook the "common courtesy" aspect of
doing "house calls" (police raids excluded!!!)

I actually find it hard to believe that ACMA staff visit commercial sites unannounced!.

I say this, because most (if not all) RF Tx sites are obviously locked... If they are "manned" 24/7,
that would be different.... Tax payers money would surely not be wasted by making unannounced calls to Tx sites that they cannot gain access to.

I actually am rapt that the "RI's" are out and about.... it has been a long time....

Cheers. John
VK2AAH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2AAH »

Hi John,

I've found that they often go to do a prearranged job in an area and then find they have time to fill so they do some audits. That happens because the time it takes to solve a problem can't always be predicted. No-one gets upset if access isn't available, all they are trying to do is make good use of their time. If they made an appointment with you and the main job took longer than expected and they stood you up, the focus of this discussion would be very different. They can't win.

Cheers

Richard
VK2AAH
VK3MEG
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3MEG »

I had a visit when an fcall and they are always welcome he saw I was a ham in the true sense and was happy.
I think its good it gives them a feel for who people when they hear them on the radio they know the setup and can quickly act if people are up to no good.
he gave me a few good tips as well.
cheers
Steve now known as vk3ktt
QF22GG
VK4XA
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4XA »

I had an unannounced visit from a Radio Inspector about 2 weeks ago, he said he was in the area doing a few jobs and had some time left over, so he called in on a few Amateurs.
He had come up from Melbourne and were doing a few inspections on both commercial and amateur radio stations he said.
No big deal, he asked to check out my rather modest station (an Alinco DX70TH, ATU and a G5RV) and we chatted for awhile about high power permits and EMR requirements and then he left, apparently satisfied that I wasn't a mad scientist who was going to end the world or do some other dastardly deed. :)

It's the first time I have seen a Radio Inspector in almost 20 years and they can drop in here anytime for a look, see and a cuppa. :)
Jeff Cochrane
VK4XA
East Innisfail, Queensland
VK3BSF

Post by VK3BSF »

OOOOOOOH....100W INSTEAD OF 10W...CRIMINALS..MISCREANTS...DEGENERATES.....DEVILS...THE SKY IS FALLING!!..save yourselves we're all doomed...
VK4TIM
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4TIM »

I too, have had a visit from the ACMA, about 18 months or so ago, following an interference complaint from somebody in the neighbourhood, in relation to a garage door that was ignoring it's remote.
The inspector called when nobody was home, and left his card. I called him back first thing the following morning to discuss the issue with him, and he suggested that he wanted to see my gear and what I was doing.
No problem.

I had had previous dealing with the ACMA inspector on several occasions in the past, both commercially, so he knew me and what I do for a living. I found two of those 147 MHz cordless headsets for him, and a radiating PC in somebody's home that was causing interference over an area of about 500m on 2m.

He came in, looked at my gear that I had set up, did some checks, looked at the bandpass cavities I was using on 70cm, and was quite happy that I was taking reasonable steps to ensure I was clean.
I believe that he has since spoken to the owner of the offending garage door, and advised them that all of my gear was compliant, and that they should seek assistance from the installers of the item concerned, because I have seen the door tech there a couple of times.

The only thing he "marked me down on" was that while I did have copies of my licence that I could produce, I didn't have a current copy that I could produce.
I do now.

I have had other dealings with this particular inspector since this occasion, in the course of my professional activities.

They will be welcome to drop past my place any time also and have a chat and a coffee.
Tim, VK4TIM.
QG62MM, Brisbane.
VK5FROB

Post by VK5FROB »

Hi All,
First time poster, long time lurker :)

A couple a months ago when working in Hobart (lived there nearly all my life, until mid last year), I got to spend an hour & a half with "David", an ACMA inspecter from Hobart.

The company I work for has quite a bit of two way /land mobile kit and we were tracking down radios, antennas etc as part of a pre-arranged audit. I was involved as my department (IT) handle the ACMA invoices and my manager knew I was in Amateur radio. So I was essentially in the right place at the right time!

Between installations inspections he chatted with me about his work, the Quoin Ridge HF monitoring station and his time working in the private sector, particularly working with the former ABT2 tower on Mt Wellington. Very interesting stuff as I love Australian radio and TV history, particular the technical aspects.

All I can say is that I learnt quite a bit that day and his enthusiasm for radio really shined through! I wouldn't have a problem having him or his colleagues around for a cuppa, just so I could have a chance to learn more!

Rob
VK5FROB
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

Quoin Ridge HF monitoring station
An amazing place. Went on a tour there when I lived in Hobart. I would like some of their antennas attached to my shack!

Wayne VK4WDM
VK4VIP
Forum Novice

Post by VK4VIP »

I have not had a inspection as of yet. Far as I am concerned if you follow the rules and don't cause any interference they don't worry you

Sent using Tapatalk from my iPhone 5c iOS 8.2
Brandon
Central Queensland

VK4FABB

Yaesu FT-857, Codan 8525a, Yaesu FT-757GX, Yaesu FT-600, Yaesu VX-7R, Baofeng UV-5RE+, Tait T2000ii VHF, GME TX3600, Motorola GP328,Yaesu FT-2800M,Vertex VX-2500, Tytera MD-380
VK3BSF

Post by VK3BSF »

No good having rules and regulations if they are not enforced..wonder how many other calls are inspected for having 1Kw linear amps alongside a 100/200 w rig??
VK5ZLR
Frequent Poster

Post by VK5ZLR »

VK4FABB wrote:I have not had a inspection as of yet.

I don't believe the ACMA goes to central Qld........or even knows it exists....
Deep in the heart of state of the art.