ACMA inspecting lots of F Calls

ACMA, Licencing, and Examination discussion
VK3GCP

ACMA inspecting lots of F Calls

Post by VK3GCP »

The ACMA has been doing the rounds of the VK3F stations in the last week..... myself included.

Has anybody else had "The Man" come around?
VK3GCP

Re: ACMA inspecting lots of F Calls

Post by VK3GCP »

apparently it was a "Random" inspection, but according to the forum at www.aurfscan.com.au about 30 F calls have been inspected in the last week.
VK2GOM

Post by VK2GOM »

Having heard some rather strong signals on the bands, they're probably looking for 100W capable HF rigs with the RF power knob cranked up when they inspect it, and/or amplifiers on the bench!

I think that fact (or at least likelihood) alone is reason enough to encourage home brew amongst F-calls and allow QRP home brew gear to be used.

73 - Rob VK2GOM / G0MOH
VK2HRD

Post by VK2HRD »

VK2GOM wrote:Having heard some rather strong signals on the bands, they're probably looking for 100W capable HF rigs with the RF power knob cranked up when they inspect it, and/or amplifiers on the bench!

I think that fact (or at least likelihood) alone is reason enough to encourage home brew amongst F-calls and allow QRP home brew gear to be used.

73 - Rob VK2GOM / G0MOH
Don't forget that the F Calls do have Restrictions on what they can home brew as well and what gear they can use. :shock:
VK3BA
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3BA »

During the Spring FD, we heard from one F-call that had been visited at his portable location. Have also heard of a Western VK3 operator and at least two local Geelong operators having a visit (I personally know that these guys are all operating within their LCD's). I haven't heard of any problems though. Not sure why the sudden interest in recent months.

About time I get some value out of my $195 annual fees to the mob.

Looks like I'd better dig up the "displayed paperwork" and check the gear in readiness.... maybe we're the theme of the month... :roll:

Cheers,
Nik VK3BA
Bannockburn
http://www.qrz.com/db/VK3BA
VK7HH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK7HH »

VK2GOM wrote:Having heard some rather strong signals on the bands, they're probably looking for 100W capable HF rigs with the RF power knob cranked up when they inspect it, and/or amplifiers on the bench!

73 - Rob VK2GOM / G0MOH

So what? What can they do? If they go to a Foundation licensees house, and the power knob is at max, they can't do a thing, unless they can measure the amount of power you are putting out remotely, or catch you in the act putting out more than 10W.

Big signals may just entail a Foundation call with 10W out into a 15 element beam or something pointing at the RI's car.
VK4CZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4CZ »

So what? What can they do?
Hopefully teach a lesson.

Unfortunately the obvious and blatant disregard for the earned privileges attached to an amateur license that any amateur may hold, in these cases may be their undoing. This isn't CB, and the responsibility awarded with the license and the ongoing experience they develop should be respected and held close to their heart... the reality is that their behavior is amateurish, and not that of a licensed amateur radio operator.

I know that the minority may bring down the majority, but if we accept this, we are only too blame.

Careful what you wish for!
Scott VK4CZ
Clear Mountain QG62lp
http://vk4cz.blogspot.com/
VK2HRX
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2HRX »

Wish they would come and visit me.

I'd invite them in and offer then a cupa and a cream biscuit ( wouldn't get that at the ACMA) then have a good yarn about my set up. I could keep them busy for the entire afternoon. Of course there are all the half finsished projects on the bench as well, such as the second FET in the 23CM pre amp that they could help out with as well. Maybe if OH&S permits I could get them to help me point the 23CM vertical at 2TDN's place if they can go on the roof for me.

Is there anyway you can call them and book them in????

Compton
VK2HRX
Compton
VK2HRX
QF56ne, Ryde, Sydney
VK7DR

Post by VK7DR »

I somehow doubt they will be visiting the 7DR farm, but it would be a change to see a different face up here.
Nice to see they care enough to actually do such things.
Not much point in having restricted licence conditions unless they are policed.
From what I've seen, the amateur service is a long, long way from "self regulation".
Reminds me, I must get frames for the station licences instead of sticking them on the wall.
VK6SIX
Frequent Poster

Post by VK6SIX »

What amazes me is that you blokes over east have RI's,

If an RI is needed in VK6, they have to fly in from melbourne or sydney i think, maybe brisbane

All the Ri's i knew have retired, then they closed down perth RI section.

So if an EPIRB goes off in a boat in a backyard in perth in a suburb on dry land, "no probs" we will fly in a RI to find it.

amazing
VK2CJC

Post by VK2CJC »

Theres a guy on aus.radio.amateur.misc saying the reason for the inspections is-

"due to damage being done on a local secure repeater site, both commerical and amateur band."

Seems odd.
VK6POP

Post by VK6POP »

hi all

"due to damage being done on a local secure repeater site, both commerical and amateur band." - how would they have deducted in the first place that it was an "F" call causing the problems? On-air disrupters rarely identify themselves, and the most recent prosecution/license removal for causing interference/disruption by ACMA was NOT an "F" call.

re: "finding the RF power turned up" - its what you DO that counts - not what's sitting idle on the bench - likewise hombrew gear and amps- its USING these and not HAVING them thats the problem.

I did find whilst operating the VK100WIA thing over here that some "F" calls from "over there" were head and shoulders above others in signal strength - they MAY have been cheating, or they MAY have invested time, effort and/or money in good antennas. there's lots of Standard and advanced operators with lousy antennas, often due to having moved to a smaller place with no room for a decent antenna.

I guess the most important thing for us to worry about is HOW they operate - are they polite, considerate, standard operating courtesies etc etc - power cheats will sooner or later be reported, found out, dobbed in, investigated etc etc.

And remember, turning up the wick isnt something that only "F" calls do - it happens across the range of license holders.

And I'd cheerfully support a push to increase the allowed power for "F calls - 10 watts on HF is really bad and you get to do a lot of shouting with a lot of being not heard.

cheers all
Bob VK6POP
VK3FKRK

Post by VK3FKRK »

hi all
i had someone from the ACMA come and check my gear, I was able to show him a interferace problem i am having and get somethink done about it , while he was here he check to see if my gear was not moded to tx out of bands was all
VK3ZFS

Post by VK3ZFS »

Some of the strongest signals received on 80&40mts are from Vk4 F calls at my location in Melbourne, have to make you wounder have they discocovered some new law in antenna physics or just running lots of power?
VK6SIX
Frequent Poster

Post by VK6SIX »

If you have the extreme patience to actually get involved in the intricate maths, you could actually calculate the path loss difference between 10 watts and say 100watts.

I think people would be very surprised at the minimal difference between actual microvolts etc as measured with say $50000 worth of test equipment at the far end between 2 signals, one at 10 watts and one at 100 watts.

I think the ham "s" meter is a very poor relation to test equipment worth $50000.

the maths and working out the paths etc........... if you try to work it out......... will probably give you a headache

All we need is propagation, no prop .. no worky.

thank you
VK3AUU
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3AUU »

If you want to get a quick demonstartion of the difference that 10 db of signal makes, then listen to whe beacons on 14.100. They transmit a carrier of 100, 10,1 and 0.1 watts after each callsign

David
VK5LA

Post by VK5LA »

The ACMA seems to me to be "looking" for something in my opinion... A Standard Call VK3 friend got a knock on the door on a SUNDAY afternoon for a suprise "station inspection" and had all his gear tested for out of band TX. My friend said the RI was very particular about this...he told my friend they were inspecting all stations in area "X"
My guess is that they are looking for an interference source that is proving difficult to find, and so are now harrassing amateurs willy nilly...
My friend also reported the RI had "issued many infringement notices" over the weekend for non conforming (i.e TX out of band) equipment.
Hmmm
Andy - VK5LA
VK2CJC

Post by VK2CJC »

Sounds like your right Andy.

Did your friend say how they tested his gear for out-of-band. Spin the VFO to 27megs and key up? Or did they try a different frequency?

Might give us a clue what they are looking for.

Jack
VK2GOM

Post by VK2GOM »

But surely having the ability to wideband Tx and not use it is exactly the same as the F call having a 1kW linear (but of course not using it). Or having the RF power knob on the rig all the way up but of course turning it back to 10W pep before he transmits.

From the ACMA visit I had, they are pretty clued-up with regards to RF DF'ing sources of interference.

73 - Rob VK2GOM / G0MOH
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

Let's not start thinking of the ACMA or the RI's as the "enemy." In the "good old days" (I know, yawn!) when almost every town had an RI (and most of them were also hams) they would often drop in for a friendly chat and cast an eye over your station. They were always very helpful too, when I came to cases of real or imagined interference complaints. Its good to see them out and about again.

I do have a question though.

"The RI had issued many infringement notices over the weekend for non conforming (i.e TX out of band) equipment."

Where do the regs say that hams are not allowed to own equipment that has the capability of operating outside the ham bands?

Wayne VK4WDM