New digital modes called V4

Things that do not fit in the above categories
VK2FAK

New digital modes called V4

Post by VK2FAK »

Hi all..

Seems to be a new mode called V4 as yet I can't find much information on it...testing how good/bad and the like or maybe it just like the other modes available out there...

( From the KC4BQK Blog )

V4 is a sound card digital protocol optimized for keyboard operation over HF. It uses 4FSK modulation and strong Viterbi FEC encoding for robustness even in weak signal or poor propagation conditions. V4 can be implemented on most computers using standard PC sound cards with radio interfaces. It is in Alpha testing but looks like a good start. This mode may be a good one for NVIS for digital nets. Watch this one for a good future.

The Alpha version of the software can be downloaded from the files section of the V4 Protocol Yahoo Group.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/V4Protocol/

V4 Protocol and V4 Chat document
http://www.winlink.org/webfm_send/169
VK4YEH

Re: New digital modes called V4

Post by VK4YEH »

Looks interesting!

Thanks for the links

Tim
VK4YEH

Post by VK4YEH »

I downloaded V4 today and have it monitoring 14.073. No QSO's yet but that is to be expected on a new mode.

I'll have my radio monitoring 14.073 continuously for the next 48 hours or so - sometimes I'll be around for a QSO if there is one, otherwise on rx only.

Please reply here if you would like a qso. I'm as new with V4 as everyone btw ........

Tim
VK4YEH
VK2FAK

Post by VK2FAK »

Hi Tim..

If you take a look at .... http://www.obriensweb.com/sked/

then click on DigitalRadio, you will find a few people trying to make contacts and test the mode.

I have seen at least 1 VK2 (DSG I think ) on there so that may be the go to test it out......I will wait and see how all the testing goes....and moves into the next stage of testing..

John
VK4YEH

Post by VK4YEH »

Thanks John

I've seen some activity, but am in and out today as I tidy up some unfinished projects. No full decodes yet, but I should have some extended time to play this afternoon.

Tim
VK2GOM

Post by VK2GOM »

I have been looking for the software. Looks like you have to join the Yahoo group in order to get it, so have reluctantly joined! I will have a play once I am able to download it.

73 - Rob VK2GOM / G0MOH
VK4YEH

Post by VK4YEH »

Hi John and Rob

Well I can receive in V4. Just picked up a very strong trace on 14110.5 from FK8IH Jean-Claude. He is in qso with Les VK2DGS it seems but I can only hear one side of the qso.

Tim
VK2GOM

Post by VK2GOM »

Hi Tim, I have seen some calls from you decoded. Unfortunately I was away vacuuming the carpets before the XYL gets hom HI. So it seems to decode - tick in the box. However, when I got to the PC it had locked up, or at least the V4 client had. That's the second time it's done that. I get some unusual buffer error message before it closes.

I am still on 14.073 MHz for the time being.

73 - Rob VK2GOM / G0MOH
VK3ZFS

Post by VK3ZFS »

Im keen to try V4 looks its the son of WINMOR, is there any freq for 80/40/30mts VK contacts?
VK2FAK

Post by VK2FAK »

Hi all...

This mode as I know it, is still in the very early days of testing....read up a little and you will find a link I put on here where you can find others trying out the mode...only a few here so far..

John