Mobile broadband - recommendations?

Computer, software discussion that does NOT fit into the above categories ^ ^ ^
VK2GOM

Mobile broadband - recommendations?

Post by VK2GOM »

I have just invested in one of those tiny netbook laptops that I will hopefully use for (amongst other things!) /P radio ops for mapping, logger access, Weather forecasts etc. when out and about.

Just wondering what services others are using for mobile broadband? I obviously want as big a data allowance as possible, for as cheap as possible, but also an availability of service out of town. I don't want to be tied to a contract so it'd have to be pay-as-you-go. Any recommendations? From my limited research it looks like Virgin mobile broadband seems to fit the bill, but would be interested to hear of recommendations or experiences.

73 - Rob VK2GOM / G0MOH
VK7DX
Frequent Poster

Re: Mobile broadband - recommendations?

Post by VK7DX »

Hi Rob,
Check out Dodo,they are doing some good deals.They are on the optus network so good coverage.

cheers,Frank
VK4GHZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4GHZ »

Most of the telcos have you by the balls when it comes to how long the credit lasts for with pay-as-you-go deals. :evil:
Typically one month.
I reckon this sucks, big time.
If I buy $xx of credit, it should bloody well be valid until I use it up.

As I already have a 3G phone, well out of contract with Telstra (who undeniably have the best coverage), I added a $10 per month internet pack.
This gives me 150MB per month.
Compared to home, 150MB isn't that much, but it's plenty for checking in on VK Logger, field day use, and "serious" email accounts.
(I run a separate email account for jokes & crap that doesn't get checked when mobile - this saves wasting bandwidth on crap that can wait until I am home!)

And, as usual, the credit only last for one month, so if I haven't used any of my 150MB worth (as happens some months), then $10 isn't too much to worry about.

Not being a fancy smart-phone (I bought my cell phone to make phone calls :wink: ), I just use the phone itself for really basic things (like VK Logger Lo-Fi), or using it as a 3G modem to connect to the notebook via the USB cable.
I don't really need another SIM card or account. KISS.
This was described here; viewtopic.php?f=31&t=9288

:D
Adam, Brisbane
vk4ghz.com
VK4GHZ on Youtube
VK4GHZ on Odysee

10 things that happen when you stop checking Facebook constantly: http://tiny.cc/t5h7cz

How to quit Facebook: https://www.consumerreports.org/social- ... -facebook/
VK6DZ

Post by VK6DZ »

Telstra are offering 1 gig data packs for $10 now
VK2GOM

Post by VK2GOM »

Thanks chaps - I will look into this. I also had a PM with some more good info.

Interestingly, in the UK, credit for pre-paid comms devices then taking it off you after 30 days etc. was deemed illegal, and is not allowed. It is tantamount to putting fuel in your car, and if you don't use it in 30 days, Shell come round with a tanker and syphon it out again. Or Coles coming to empty your food cupboard if you've not eaten it. You get the idea :?

But for what I need, it will have to be pre-paid. There's no way I'm entering a time-locked contract. There will be months when I simply don't need wireless access.

It may also work out cheaper if I buy a used pre-unlocked modem from eBay, then sign up for a free sim card and buy credit for it.

I will also look into using my nextG phone as a modem. It's with Telstra, but is (again) a pre-paid so not sure if it's possible. I can ask them.

73 - Rob VK2GOM / G0MOH

PS. Derek, where did you see 1GB for $10? Cheapest Telstra I can find is $40 for 1GB pre-paid.
VK6DZ

Post by VK6DZ »

http://www.telstra.com.au/mobile/browsing_packs.html
Updated mine today from 150mb
My not be for pre-paid
VK6MB

Post by VK6MB »

Hopefully mine has upgraded as well then.
I can use my next g phone as a modem for my eeePC.
the $10/mth browsing is on top of my Business plan.

73 Mike
VK2GOM

Post by VK2GOM »

As luck would have it, I just happened to see an ad on TV tonight for AmaysSIM.com.au - a new provider who offer discount rates. The TV was actually muted, so I went to their URL. $9.90 for 1GB of data, cheap calls, and cheap SMS. All this is any-time rates, not peak/off-peak and all that jazz.

I have just unlocked my nextG handset online, and have ordered the AmaySIM starter pack.

And to top it all off I have a new mobile number... so will have to update my Logger profile 8)

If anyone else is interested in AmaySIM, you can do it all online, or buy a starter pack at any 7-11 store.

73 - Rob VK2GOM / G0MOH
VK6ADF
Forum Diehard

Post by VK6ADF »

I don't know what it is like over east but here in the west from my experience a lot of these other telecommunication companies are great in the metro area's but go out into the country and there is no coverage. I am the last one to sing praises for T but at least they do have coverage where the others fail. I have a prepaid mobile and use the prepaid $10 data browse pack when I want it as mentioned by Adam above.

73 Phil...VK6ADF
VK3AUU
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3AUU »

The current Telstra $10 Data Pack gives 1 GB per month with $0.25 per MB for any excess for post Paid users.

See posting.php?mode=reply&f=24&t=9564

I Used my Next G phone while touring up to Darwin during June and July and coverage was quite good. I used the lo-fi mode to keep track of the logger. At home, I can use it to connect the PC to the internet if the local server is down.

David
VK3DXE
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3DXE »

If you want coverage in rural areas, Telstra is really your best choice.

Keep an eye on their specials, as the war for the prepaid mobile broadband market is hotting up.

DON'T go near 3, they have enough problems with coverage in metro areas.
Alan VK3DXE
QF21nv
VK2HRX
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2HRX »

iPrimus on the Optus network have a cheal 1GB plan. $15 I think.

Compton
Compton
VK2HRX
QF56ne, Ryde, Sydney
VK6LD
Frequent Poster

Post by VK6LD »

I have a Telstra Next-G mobile broadband stick for when I'm away with work.

As others have mentioned, coverage outside of the metro area in VK6 is fairly limited, although Optus have been busy doing expansions on the network in country WA of late.

I purchased the USB stick for $69 at the post office, which came with 2GB of data and 30 days to use it.

When that ran out I topped up with $150.00 credit which gives 10GB of data and 365 days expiry. See: http://www.telstra.com.au/bigpond-inter ... aid/rates/

Cheers.
VK3AUU
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3AUU »

You could have done better. My Next G phone with Telstra has 1 Gig for $10 a month. Straight into the phone. Post paid.
David
VK6LD
Frequent Poster

Post by VK6LD »

That $10/mth for 1GB offer only started last week... It was $10/mth for a lousy 200MB before that - I don't see how that could be better???
VK2JDH

Post by VK2JDH »

VK7DX wrote:Hi Rob,
They are on the optus network so good coverage.

cheers,Frank
Not from any Field Day site I've been at!
VK2GOM

Post by VK2GOM »

I am (or rather was) going to go with my NextG phone as a modem for the time being and see how it goes.

The first hurdle failure though is I bought the SIM card pack from amaySIM to go in the phone (a Telstra ZTE T6), and bought an unlock service for my phone online, but they have since got back to me to say my phone is a model that can't be unlocked and offered me a refund on the unlocking fee.

So looks like I have to either buy another nextG pay as you go phone and get it unlocked to use the SIM, or abandon the phone idea and go for a dedicated wireless modem.

73 - Rob VK2GOM / G0MOH
VK6ADF
Forum Diehard

Post by VK6ADF »

Does your T6 use the JoinMe software? My phone was a ZTE (not a T6 though) using JoinMe and thats what I used as my wireless modem until recently. Then I just purchased a data browse pack when needed and gave me 30 days to use it. Depends I guess on how much you plan to use it but for real casual stuff it seems to be fine.

73 Phil...VK6ADF
VK2GOM

Post by VK2GOM »

Hi Phil, yes - same software. amaySIM are far cheaper than Telstra though for data packs. I paid $29 for the card and a load of calls and a data pack so I'l like to try and get it going! I will have a wander round the market stalls this weekend and see if there are any phone unlockers there.

73 - Rob VK2GOM / G0MOH
VK3AUU
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3AUU »

Amaysim are the same price as Telstra since Telstra went to $10 for 1 Gig, but their coverage is less out in the boonies. My NextG phone uses JoinMe to connect the PC or I just punch a couple of buttons to get the VKlogger on lofi.

David