RFI from Solar inverters! "Not happy Jan ! "

Electromagnetic Compatibility, TVI, BCI, etc Interference Issues
VK4KX
Forum Novice

Re: RFI from Solar inverters! "Not happy Jan ! "

Post by VK4KX »

VK1TX wrote:Hi All,
I about to install a 2kw solar system with 8 panels and a Aurora PVI- 2.0 -outd au INVERTER.
HAS ANYBODY HAD EXPERIENCE WITH THAT INVERTER? ALSO WOULD THE SUNNYBOY INVERTER BE BETTER FOR RFI ?

THE INVERTER WILL BE ON THE OTHERSIDE OF THE HOUSE AWAY FROM THE TOWER /ANTENNAS BUT THE SOLAR PANELS WILL BE ALMOST DIRECTLY UNDERNEATH THE TOWER AND MY STEPPER IR DB18 ANTENNA.

PLEASE ANY INPUT BEFORE ITS TOO LATE !!
THANKS,
TEX VK1TX
Hi Tex,
Almost 1 year on, how has the install been? Any RFI or other issues?

Cheers,
VK4KX Bernie
VK4BZ
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4BZ »

I went out for the maiden voyage with the new camper trailer recently to a very lovely camping area in the Goomburra range. Beauty, I thought - no noisy TVs etc from in town; should be an ideal HF operating location. The boss had her nose in a book, so she wasn't worried about me playing radios...so flick the switch and enjoy the serenity...

Not so! The shower block (probably 100m from our campsite) had a solar panel array on the roof and every 50-60KHz on every band was hashed out. It wasn't my Arkpak (it was in discharge mode) nor my fold-up solar panels (because I didn't have them out at that time) so all I can conclude was that it was the shower block solar array, unless the LED lighting system was somehow generating spurious junk?

Having said that, I still made a good CW contact using 10 watts into my inverted-V up a handy gum tree.
John

"I will not have my fwiends widiculed by the common soldiewy."
Pontius Pilate - The Life of Brian
VK3AWG
Forum Novice

Post by VK3AWG »

Hi guys I know this is a bot of an old thread but recently started getting interference from what I am 90% sure is a solar inverter. The reason I am pretty sure is that the interference goes away at night. I have submitted the appropriate form to the ACMA for them to hunt it down. Have a watch of the video I made of the interference during the day on the 40m band https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKnyu7N ... faGKero_SQ . Enjoy.

Chris
VK3AWG
VK5EI
Frequent Poster

Post by VK5EI »

Hi Chris,

Watched your youtube clip and I had similar annoying noise. I tracked mine down to be a noisy D-Link router switch in my own home :-(

Hope you get to the cause of yours.

cya
VK3AWG
Forum Novice

Post by VK3AWG »

Hi Joe,
I have turned the router off and everything else that I could think of and the noise is still there. It goes away at night so I am pretty sure it is a solar setup.

Chris
VK4TI
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4TI »

Quite possible it's an inverter but might be a daytime use only device , perhaps in a local business ? , even on Sundays ?
VK3AWG
Forum Novice

Post by VK3AWG »

No business nearby. Yes every day. :-(
VK3QI
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3QI »

Chris,

Have you considered an air conditioner unit causing the noise?

Have you considered a faulty PE cell in a street lamp nearby? Some lamps when their PE cell becomes contaminated with dust, bird doppings etc. can spend the daytime trying to switch on and it is only when the sun goes down that the unit turns on completely.

Cheers

Peter VK3QI
VK4TIM
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4TIM »

I'd be curious to know if noise from micro-inverters using Power Line Communications forming a network between each inverter and to a plug-in ethernet to power line communications device, enabling connection to your domestic LAN.

I have asked a couple of providers for detailed information on these things, but so far none has been provided as to the frequencies used for the power line comms, or modulation.
These things may not only wipe out HF and 6m, but may also be susceptible to interference from HF or 6m transmissions.

Many providers are now using micro-inverters on each panel, and running a common 240V 50Hz connection, meaning that if some panels are shaded, the system won't stop charging when the series DC voltage falls, and eliminating high DC voltage wiring to a single inverter.

We are looking at the possibility of employing some system to at least cover out daytime use.

Any ideas?
Tim, VK4TIM.
QG62MM, Brisbane.
VK4KX
Forum Novice

Post by VK4KX »

All is still going well with my Solar installation and no QRN from the system.
I had been fortunate to sign up to the .45c FIT, but just recently my supplier has moved the goal posts- AGAIN! They still pay the .45 cents FIT only now they are charging $6 or more to do so.
Give with one hand take with the other.... and so the status quo is kept.
}:[
Cheers