Problem with MS office 2010

VK4WDM

Problem with MS office 2010

Post by VK4WDM »

A few weeks ago my shack computer died and I replaced it with a new one. I installed MS Office 2010 office, home and student edition and registered it on-line (successfully I think).

All has been going well until yesterday when I opened Outlook and was faced with the following screen:

"MS Office Professional Activation Wizard.
Thank you for installing MS Office Professional 2010 trial edition (I didn't).

Copy is now expired you can purchase full edition by clicking on upgrade below".

The program is receiving emails OK, but I can't send them. :(

I tried going into the next screen that says: "If you have already purchased MS Office (Does not say what edition) enter your activation code here." I did that, but problem remains.

Any idea anybody?

I am not Einstein or Einstein's 1000 relative when I comes to computers so I may have stuffed something up (also means I need replies in simple language). :mrgreen:

Wayne VK4WDM
VK2AKW

Re: Problem with MS office 2010

Post by VK2AKW »

Hi Wayne

Not had the ?Pleasure of installing 2010 yet but the same waffle applied to a 2007 install I did... Did you download the 2010 from MS themselves or bundled copy from the pc?? (possible problem one)

Have you checked the outlook mail configurations yet?? [T00lS: ACCOUNT SETTINGS:] in there somewhere nice is where the problem will be

ta

Allen
VK2AKW
VK4GHZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4GHZ »

VK4WDM wrote:I installed MS Office 2010 office, home and student edition and registered it on-line (successfully I think).
Wayne, does the application require "activation"?

Note that registration and activation are different these days.

Registration is the method of signing up for news and offers from the vendor.
Activation is the method of entering in a serial number to take the program from trial to fully paid version.

:D
Adam, Brisbane
vk4ghz.com
VK4GHZ on Youtube
VK4GHZ on Odysee

10 things that happen when you stop checking Facebook constantly: http://tiny.cc/t5h7cz

How to quit Facebook: https://www.consumerreports.org/social- ... -facebook/
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

I brought the MS Office from the shop on a CD I did not download it.

Wayne
VK4ADC
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4ADC »

Wayne

If you read the outside of the documentation that came with the CD, it will probably state that it is only for installation on one computer. You have done that on your old shack computer so used up your only-one install - and MS takes the activation process to include the hardware/software platform details.

This new one has a different hardware/software platform signature so as far as MS is concerned, you need to buy another copy with another (unused) serial number.

If you repaired the old PC without changing the motherboard, Windows version (keeping the old serial number) { eg replaced and reloaded the old hard disk}, the MS Office activation code would most likely work. It is all part of MS's anti-piracy process.

Of course, trial editions typically only run for 30 days and then you have to buy the "real product" anyway.
Doug VK4ADC, QG62lg51
http://www.vk4adc.com
VK6ADF
Forum Diehard

Post by VK6ADF »

VK4ADC wrote:
This new one has a different hardware/software platform signature so as far as MS is concerned, you need to buy another copy with another (unused) serial number.
Assuming it was a full version you bought and not a trial, there is a chance that if you call micro$oft and explain the situation they can revalidate it. Its a similar case with Windows. I know people who have phoned up and explained a replacement motherboard and got windows going again, even though they were installing windows on a totally different PC. :lol:

I have never tried it, but Open Office is a possible free substitute.

73 Phil...VK6ADF
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

Thanks for the help guys. Got it sorted. :D

The version I got needed an upgrade to home and business edition to continue with Outlook. Pays to read all those check boxes carefully! :oops:

Wayne VK4WDM