Use of "non-ham specific" gear by F calls

ACMA, Licencing, and Examination discussion
VK4WDM

Use of "non-ham specific" gear by F calls

Post by VK4WDM »

I posted this on another thread but is best dealt with here

I have offered to give an "F call" an AWA SS70 transceiver that has crystals for 80 and 40m fitted. I have had some emails telling me that it would be illegal for him to use it. I cannot see how I cannot see how it is illegal for foundation class to use a commercially-produced, crystal-controlled transceiver! That really does not make sense at all. I would guess that this AWA rig has specs that are just as good, and probably better, than anything made for the ham bands.

Wayne VK4WDM
VK3PF
Forum Diehard

Re: Use of "non-ham specific" gear by F calls

Post by VK3PF »

Wayne,

From my recollection, it should be OK for an F call to use, provided that the equipment operates within the licence conditions for an F call. The wording in the LCD say "Commercial equipment", but makes no reference to commercially produced equipment aimed at the amateur market.

If in doubt, you could always ask the question direct of either ACMA, WIA or both......

Peter VK3PF
VK2XSO

Post by VK2XSO »

Don't ask, don't tell !

We know that the point of the restriction is prevent interference caused by "tinkering".
If it's operating within the requirements of the licensee nobody is really going to care.

By the time a foundation licensee opens a radio and decides he should change something with confidence,
It's time for that upgrade. :)
VK2FXXX
Forum Novice

Post by VK2FXXX »

Gday.

From the acma licence conditions determination. Every amateur should have a copy . Might save sending incorrect info across the air and internet.

Conditions for amateur licence (amateur foundation station)

Part 6. 28 Transmitting equipment restrictions.

The licensee must not operate an amateur foundation station using a transmitter that has not been manufactured commercially.

Thats it!

The latest LCD is available here .updated feb 2008
http://www.comlaw.gov.au/comlaw/Legisla ... enDocument

operating procedures.
http://www.acma.gov.au/WEB/STANDARD/pc=PC_1301

other interesting reading
http://www.acma.gov.au/scripts/nc.dll?W ... =PC_300161
:mrgreen:
73 Brendan
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

Hi Brendan

The important words here are: "not been manufactured commercially". That does not mean that they cannot use a commercially-built transceiver that is not been designed specifically for the ham bands.

There are plenty of older crystal-controlled transceivers around that will operate on 80 and 40m if the appropriate crystals are inserted and the the coils tweaked. This would have to be done under the supervision of a standard or advanced license holder of course.

Wayne VK4WDM
VK2FXXX
Forum Novice

Post by VK2FXXX »

gday wayne.
Yep thats the way I read it. Should be fine to use the tx.
I think an F call can install the crystals too as there is nothing in the LCD about foundation licence holders not being able to modify or repair radios.
however here is the draft syllabus for foundation licences, http://www.wia.org.au/licences/foundati ... llabus.pdf
note that in the syllabus 2.12 states"unmodified commercially manufactured transmitting equipment."
also see 9.2
This is the only place I have come across the reference to modified equipment for f calls. As you can see this is only a draft syllabus,not the LCD.
Im sure the F call will enjoy his or her new radio ,untill hes told he cant use it,by one of those knowledgeable folk on the bands(who wouldnt know what the LCD is, let alone read it!)guaranteed to happen. Just tell him to say its an icom 718 ,will save a lot of grief I think. :wink: I say good on ya for helping out a budding ham.
Hope to qso soon

73 Brendan