WBFM audio on 48.240

Magic band discussion - antennas, propagation, operating, etc
ZL2WHO
Frequent Poster

WBFM audio on 48.240

Post by ZL2WHO »

At 20.00 HRS UTC on the 20 July i noted a s6 signal on 48.240. This is loaded into one of my presets as I look for TV vid. I was able to make out what I would describe as church music. My 897 does not have wfm so it was difficult to get a fix on the signal using NFM. My first thought was to check the entire FM band for transmissions of the same program, but I could not sink any FM stations from our very populated broadcast band. The signal was only about 10K wide, ie the 897 would hear it at about 48.2350 thru to 48.2450 on CW mode, so I figgure its not the usual WBFM broadcast transmission. Being FM the meter would jump round and as it would never really qsb into the noise, I considered it not to be DX. The sig was in for about 30min, and 2 hours later when i checked it had gone. Also the next morning there is nothing. I am at a loss to know what this is, there are no high level transmissions in this area so Rx intermod would be ruled out. The sig did respond well to moving the beam, it would seem to be the strongest when beaming VK. I have googled till the cows come home but the only thing close is the 20Khz audio transmissions from CE Muzac which do not use this exact freq. This just might remain a mystery. Mark.
VK4ABW
Forum Diehard

Re: WBFM audio on 48.240

Post by VK4ABW »

I noted a S7 carrier on 46.249 coming from NZ way yesterday around the same time. It had disappeared about an hour later when i looked for it again.
checked the spectrum scope....nothing else was around at the time.
Probably a narrow foot-print E cloud between us :?: