3D TV where is it going?

Magic band discussion - antennas, propagation, operating, etc
VK4WDM

3D TV where is it going?

Post by VK4WDM »

I just heard part of a talk back radio call on last night's 3D TV broadcast of the S.O.O. The caller said something like "there will be plenty of room for 3D television once the old analogue system shuts down." Where is 3D TV going to go? Not in the CH0 slot hopefully! :?

Wayne VK4WDM
VK2XSO

Re: 3D TV where is it going?

Post by VK2XSO »

3D data isn't anything complex. It's nothing but an offset value. It's not like you have to send a whole another picture to form the alternate field.

Both the left and right fields are almost identical. There is a slight amount of difference in the field of view, like information of objects behind others that are obscured in the first field. It's a tiny percentage of the picture information. Added to that is the offset. Objects closer have a wider offset while further objects have a smaller offset value, or to infinity where they have none. The difference signal is more like a dolby 5.1 surround sound control signal than it is a L-R stereo audio signal. Added to that is the data compression of the stream, the overhead is very small compared to that of the monocular picture information.
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

I guess I was thinking of stereo. Having a double lot of audio and vids :oops:

Wayne VK4WDM
VK2CSW
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2CSW »

Even if it was a full dual signal system, it could easily be a multiplexed into a single digital stream and decoded at the TV. So rather than a bigger bandwidth it would be a bigger throughput. This also leaves the possibility that a 2D TV would just not decode the second data stream. Negating the need for 'extra' channels.

Technically the S.O.O. and most sport already shows three dimensions:
X and Y are obvious but they also display a clock, thus time is the third dimension... :shock:

Colin