Olivia

Things that do not fit in the above categories
VK2FAK

Olivia

Post by VK2FAK »

Hi all..

I have recently been looking at some of the Digital Modes...

Olivia seems to be the better weak signal chat mode, but it does not seem to be that popular, looking around the web anyways....just a few sites on it..

Does anyone use it in Australia....If so on what parts of the bands.....

john
VK3BJM

Re: Olivia

Post by VK3BJM »

G'day John.

Try dropping Waldis, VK1WJ, an email. I know he's used this mode a lot in the recent past. His email is listed under his profile in the VK Logger.

Barry
VK3BJM
VK4MDX

Post by VK4MDX »

I've just begun using Olivia mode after meeting a few people on Ham Radio Nation site who use it. I was amazed at the low S/N ability of the mode. I had a great QSO on 40m last night A signal < S1 from Florida was Q5 copy all the way. I am using it on all bands. I had good advice last night to ensure I enable RSID on the software (DM780) so that the mode is identified in the transmission for those who are unfamiliar with the sound of the Olivia mode.
VK2FAK

Post by VK2FAK »

Hi All.....

Great to hear someone using it down here....

I am playing with JT65 just at the moment.....but will be getting on Olivia or maybe Domino EX 4..

I had a look at DomEX 4 and with the smaller bandwidth, everything I read said it was better than Olivia...except maybe the 32/1000 or 32/2000 modes.

And yes...use that RSID...or try the Video Text in the waterfall.....

John
VK4YEH

Post by VK4YEH »

As mentioned in another thread, Jesus CO2DC and I have been comparing Olivia 8/250 with ROS 4/500 on 40m 7040MHz. Yes I know they are different baud rates and widths, but it is worth noting that now after a few sessions, I would say that Olivia is the better mode if a qso/chat is what you are looking for.

Why? because with ROS you need to get the initial sync code or there is no rx. Olivia on the other hand is much more forgiving in that regard.

If on the other hand you are prepared for missed overs and recognise that the contact - at low S/N levels - will be experimental rather than a qso, then I believe ROS has a slight edge in the worst cndx. Of course this is comparing apples to oranges as the baud rates and widths are different. Note that I have no empirical evidence to support this view, only a few months of experimenting.

As far as I know there is no Olivia mode that is a direct comparison to ros 4/500. Please post here if there is so that we can try it!

JT65? well in my experience it beats ros and Olivia in poor cndx but it is not a qso mode.

Tim
VK4YEH
VK2FAK

Post by VK2FAK »

Hi all

wonder if during your tests with your friend if you ever tried DominoeEX4...from what I have read it is better than olivia..except the Olivia version with more tones....say 32/1000 or 32/2000..

I have the crazy situation here that when I try Olivia is messes up a commercial band radio.....but using Dom. I dont have that issue and for that matter I dont have it with JT65a either...

John
VK4YEH

Post by VK4YEH »

John

I have tried Domino EX locally - and one dx into JA - and would like to add it to the comparisons with olivia and ros in particular. As my conversations with Jesus CO2DC are sometimes very brief due to adverse cndx, we haven't tried it yet. The few times I have used Domino show me a) that it works, and b) that DX is possible with it. Further than that I have no idea yet, and look forward to trying it.

I'll report back!

Tim
VK4FIL

Post by VK4FIL »

Hi John,
I have been working the Digital modes for some time now and hv worked many on Olivia psk31 Mfsk jt65a etc.
Jt65a using the program JT65-HF has made this a very popular mode indeed particularly on 14.076.

The 6 meter lads are up every morning on 50.230 fsk441 iscat jt6m and other modes for some rapid fire meteor and Aircraft enhancement. Plenty of action too on 144.230 and 144.330 fsk441

Anyway John have fun and hope to hear you sometime. If you wud like a sked send me an email n see hw we go.

Phil vk4fil
VK2FAK

Post by VK2FAK »

Hi all...

Have you in your Olivia and ROS testing with your friend.....increased the FEC number from the standard 4 to see if there is any improvements....I had seen tests done with DominoEX8 with a FEC setting of 10 which they say was pretty good..

John
VK2FAK

Post by VK2FAK »

Hi all...

well finally got my first contact on Olivia....Sat. evening on 30m into the Marshal Islands using 10w...100% copy and Rob the other contact lowered down to 5w and still had 100% copy....started to drop off at around 3w with 70% copy....But all good.....basic testing.

Was using Olivia 8/250..

John