Future of 50-52MHZ -deafening silence!

Magic band discussion - antennas, propagation, operating, etc
VK4WDM

Re: Future of 50-52MHZ -deafening silence!

Post by VK4WDM »

Hi Rob

The same slice of spectrum was classified as primary broadcasting in NZ and the hams over there (well led by the NZART) were successful in mounting an argument for AR primary status. I am not sure about the stats, but I would assume that there are a lot more hams in VK than ZL. Apathy, not argument is the main problem with us VK's.

Wayne VK4WDM
VK7DR

Post by VK7DR »

Hi Wayne,

Well, I am not suggesting that it is not possible, but my point I guess is that the kind of argument and representation required "appears" (and I use the word advisedly) to be lacking.
I have not heard here or anywhere the kind of argument that would wash.

Even if primary status cannot be had, at the least there will be a relaxation of the constraints in the states affected. No problem here in Tas. of course.
I think there is a very strong argument, and always has been, for the de-allocation of CH"0". And I doubt if those interested in spectrum for digital radio would have any real desire to use 50mhz over the better higher frequencies. But it is not so much the technical aspects or the logical ones - it is essentially the monopoly aspect which has to be overcome. The "we have it, so why should we give it away" mentality.

Perhaps we need to import some ZL's to do the arguing for us. (hi)
And I am not sure it is apathy - I think it is that many amateurs feel they are powerless to achieve decent representation and simply refuse to get involved in a process which seems to be always stacked against their interests.
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

I don't think we have to import any ZL's to argue for us (there is a language problem after all :wink: ). There are very able people within the WIA and the wider VK ham community that have experience "on both sides of the fence" and all the technical and political skills to mount a very good case just as they did to get us access to the 50MHZ sub band. I have just read the posts by Iain VK5ZD and Peter VK3PF, and the email from the WIA secretary that indicates that something is underway.

I, and others, will have to curb our impatience and wait to see what the plans are.

Wayne VK4WDM
VK3AUU
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3AUU »

Let's hope they don't shoot themselves in the foot by being too greedy.
50 to 50.4 would be more than enough to accomodate all the activity that I have seen in more than 50 years off and on of operating on 6 metres.

David
VK3AUU
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

Sorry David, that would be totally unrealistic. :shock:

I have been on 6m for over 40 years, but the band has undergone huge changes in recent times.

There are a lot more 6m-capable radios around and many more countries, especially in Europe, have allowed 6m operation. There are many more stations on the band than in the days of yore and the QRM during the big openings to Europe and Asia at the peak of the last SS cycle was as bad, if not worse, than you get on 20m during any of the big contests (and I have also been active in those for over 40 years). 50-50.99 would allow a decent spread of stations and allow the rarer, and often weaker, stations to be heard and worked, and very importantly, room for the beacon network. :)

Then there is the room required for regional contacts in VK and ZL (some people still like to work the locals, not all 6m operators are dx chasers), space for an expanding number of digital modes, and of course, the repeaters. What about a segment for weak signal work? Those guys are among the few remaining real experimenters left in the ham fraternity.

All in 50-50.4? I don't think so! :roll:

Wayne VK4WDM
VK4TIM
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4TIM »

In ZL, the authorities and industry have not identified any commercial use for band 1 VHF TV channels yet, and so the 50-51MHz spectrum will, at the expring of management rights on TV allocations, or ASO, which ever comes first.
It is likely that Amateurs will get access to TV channels 2 &3 (54-68MHz) in ZL.

If the ACMA wish to fly in the face and allocate spectrum that has no broadcast technologies implemented or under development, then Australia would, once again be the only country to do something like that.

Australia should have adopted 8 MHz TV channeling on UHF, and implemented all DVB-T broadcasts on UHF, like ZL, and reallocated all of the VHF TV spectrum to other uses/technologies, such as DAB+ or mobile radio.

My 2c worth.
Tim, VK4TIM.
QG62MM, Brisbane.
VK4ADC
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4ADC »

The TV0 shutdown is imminent in VK3 ( as in tomorrow !!) , in VK4 in the second part of this year, VK2 next year.. : where are we on getting an answer from either the ACMA or the WIA on the timetable of the changes necessary to Section 15(3) of the Amateur LCD to allow higher power (400w PEP) in the 50-50.3 segment in the states where no local TV0 exists ? The LCD specifies Vic, NSW, ACT and Qld by name so even though the TV0's may be shutting down, we still can't do anything different in the eastern states until the legislation is changed..

The LCD's Schedule 2 Part 1 shows access to the full 50-54 MHz band in the 'other' states now so surely it wouldn't be too difficult for the ACMA to determine when it will be accessible to all of VK.

Has anybody heard anything officially ?? ( no rumours please )
Doug VK4ADC, QG62lg51
http://www.vk4adc.com
VK4ZJB

Post by VK4ZJB »

Well, Doug, I rang the DOTC back in 1989, the day after "0" departed Brisbane, and was told "well, there's no "0" in Brissy now, so go down there" ie to 50.110 from 52.050---unofficial, but some person of authority saw the "no harm" side of it. And boy,didn't the (unoffical) exodus begin---Possibly the many ham-oriented chaps who were in the now ACMA are elsewhere these days, but you can bet if the WIA gain ONE new member for pushing the move, they sure will. 73, John VK4ZJB.
VK3OE
Frequent Poster

Post by VK3OE »

On 6 Dec @ 10:00 EST RTQ0 dies. So,,,

Warm up the amplifers in VK3 and VK4 to join our friends in VK5, VK6, VK8, VK9 and VK0.

VK1 and VK2 will have to wait till ABMN0 is off some time in the first half of next year.

Good DX
Andrew
VK3OE/VK3OER
Andrew
VK3OE/VK3OER
Science = hypothesis >> measurement >> Theory
VK4TS

Post by VK4TS »

Until I read it officially I would have grave doubts as to the common sense in warming up the linears -

The current restriction is for the entire east coast to 100 watts and not for those areas currently inside Channel 0 allocations -
VK4TIM
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4TIM »

I asked this question to a WIA representative when I was at the Gold Coast junk sale day a couple of weeks back, his comment was that the 50-52 MHz band could still go up for commercial tender, and that there was questions asked as to what would be more beneficial, to have an increased allocation at 137 and 500 kHz, or restriction free access to 6m...

He seemed to suggest that there could be some sort of tradeoff there, but he did say that until the powers that be decide, he was only speculating.

He said that the lawyers and accountants who produce policy will probably decide who gets what.

Everybody spoken to would rather have the whole band primary and exclusive, like the ZL proposal of 50-51 primary and exclusive.
Time to all lobby the WIA en-masse I think and have our voices heard.
Tim, VK4TIM.
QG62MM, Brisbane.
VK2CSW
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2CSW »

VK4TIM wrote:<snip>
He said that the lawyers and accountants who produce policy will probably decide who gets what.
<snip>
Time to all lobby the WIA en-masse I think and have our voices heard.
May I suggest that, by all means lobby the WIA, but keep in mind they are not the "powers that be" and that they seem reluctant to lobby the ACMA on matters that the "rank and file" appear to be interested in.

So I would suggest that along with rattling the WIA's cage, a few taps on the ACMA's cage might also be of benefit.
VK4KGW

Post by VK4KGW »

My understanding of that area is at least in ZL there was no commercial interest so by default that hams got it , I expect the same to happen here in Au after all it's noisy full of propogation problems , the rest of the world can instill it full of unusable rubbish when the hams fill it and it's plain difficult to control , but of course it's not certain yet however it's odds on atm
B
VK4TS

Post by VK4TS »

VK2CSW wrote:
May I suggest that, by all means lobby the WIA, but keep in mind they are not the "powers that be" and that they seem reluctant to lobby the ACMA on matters that the "rank and file" appear to be interested in.

So I would suggest that along with rattling the WIA's cage, a few taps on the ACMA's cage might also be of benefit.
The WIA has constant meetings with ACMA for the improvement of the lot of amateurs - If you rattle the cage - try and think both sides of an argument through NOT just we want because we should - It doesn't cut the mustard with any one these days - giving both sides allows someone to make an informed decision on a matter that often they are unfamiliar with and would need to conduct time wasting research -

If you feel you should have 400W PEP on the East Coast right now - as soon as Mt Mowbulllan disappears - what are the implications ? The easiest for the regulator is to say the regs say NO - Why was the restriction imposed in the first place ? What effect would it have ? What areas are affected ? Is it with EMR not really an issue outside the 120Km ? You need facts to back up the argument - I would have thought VK4 should be able to run 400wPEP but there may be other reasons why not...

The first exemption we have is the 120Km radius - once these transmitters go then the 120k radius is gone -so yes you are on 6 Metres - but not at full power - So what is holding you back ? from the schedule I see the best strategy could be to find out if the local transmitters eg NEN0 can go off air early - if that is the case why not lobby the station owners rather than ACMA or the WIA - Just a thought but make sure of your facts before you do...or you could make it hard for all amateurs - we have had that happen more than once in the past by well meaning operators who quite frankly didn't have a clue..

I look forward to your submission to the WIA -

At this point I am supposed to put in a twenty line disclaimer -

Regards
ZL1RS
Forum Diehard

Post by ZL1RS »

Just to add fuel ... following a remit at the NZART conference in June, NZART approached the RSM and requested an increase in the maximum power output for the Amateur Radio GURL. As of the end of this month the power limit for ZL hams will be raised to 1kW :mrgreen:

http://tinyurl.com/843eafa section 5, paragraph 5.

73, Bob ZL1RS
Bob, ZL1RS in the Bay of Islands at RF64vs
VK4ADC
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4ADC »

Less than a week to go now until Mowbullan RTQ0 shuts down.... along with it's presence as a propagation indicator for 6m operators.
Spot 46.171 & 51.672 while you can..

Of course, it doesn't mean too much to us in Eastern Aus until the legislation changes ( S15-3 of the LCD) to allow the 400w PEP transmit power level on 50MHz in VK1, 2, 3 & 4 (i.e. greater than the existing 100w limit with Ch0 operating), except for those within that 120Km zone ( eg in Toowoomba, etc) who will now be able to access 50.0 - 50.3 for the first time and at the 100w limit.

As for access to the whole 50 - 54 band, I'm not holding my breath awaiting the outcome. Legislation changes take a while even after the ideas are agreed and then drafted by the ACMA legal people.
Doug VK4ADC, QG62lg51
http://www.vk4adc.com
VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ALB »

Lou - VK3ALB

Being right doesn't excuse bad behaviour
VK2GFR
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2GFR »

Slightly off topic... (and I am a newbie to 50mhz operations), but assuming that 50-52 is not allocated as primary service, what about applying for a chunk at 4mtrs (70-78Mhz) currently there are a few services that use the spectrum (all be it very infrequently) NSW Ambulance, NSW Police, NSW Fire Brigades, Australian Defense Dept and numerous other minor infrequent users. *Note: most of the users mentioned are now (or have been) on P25 Digital in the 400-426Mhz Govt Radio Network for quite a while now. Just my 6 cents worth (including GST) :mrgreen:
Mark, VK2GFR
Seven Hills
QF56LF
VK2AAH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2AAH »

I've been saying that for years... this is a band that the WIA and ACMA should be looking to take to the ITU at least in this region anyway. Most VHF midband users have already moved out. NSWAS & NSW Police will gradually retire all of their VHF networks, NSWFB moved off VHF in 2000. I doubt Defence would care... But what is the WIA willing to trade? More of 70cm?

Cheers,

Richard
VK2AAH
VK5PO

Post by VK5PO »

A petition for primary status on 50 - 54 Mhz in VK??..... You simply cannot be serious. the 4 Mhz is severely under utilized now.

You can call your guts out on 50.200 for a domestic qso, and not get one reply. (everyone is on .110 needless to say)

500Khz on the bottom half of 50Mhz would easily suffice if we do not have an FM allocation..

with FM... 50 to 52.0 would be more than adequate for all VK stations. ( FM wiping out weak DX ssb and CW stations!!! way to go!!!)

Who cares anyway... people put comments forward, and they get howled down by self appointed egotistical moderators et al....

How many people that make these comments for change etc are in fact members of the NATIONAL AR organization that the ACMA deals with??

That is the way to get change .. but for the life of me, 90 percent of hams on 6m would not even know if anything above 50.4 was removed from the AR service.

Maybe finding something more worthwhile changing would be better? like BANNING DOMESTIC CALLING and QSO's on 50.110.... now, there would be a huge waste of time trying to pursue that one!!

73, JF McRae, VK5PO