A Fun Day on 6M...

Magic band discussion - antennas, propagation, operating, etc
VK2XV

A Fun Day on 6M...

Post by VK2XV »

Had a great day on 6M today (actually - looking at the clock - yesterday...)

1. Tested my new 6M antenna (homebrew dipole @ 7m) and found the dimensions as modelled in NECWINVM95 with 25mm diameter element within 2% of the real world.

2. SWR < 1.4 from 49.9MHz to 52.5MHz and maximum SWR 1.6 @ 54MHz so I have access to the full band. Calculated loss with 20m RG213 less than 1.5dB. I am down by about 6 - 10dB in antenna gain on most, so who cares...

3. Played with my new FT857D (60th birthday present from my XYL !!!!) and programmed a few memories. Learnt how to scan same.

4. Listened to Te Aroha and Hikurangi see-saw up and down vying to be the strongest signal for hours.

5. Held the 6M antenna lead against a B/W portable TV set input lead and watched 30 seconds of TVNZ (until my fingers cramped).

6. Listened to an old-fashioned ragchew on 6M for about an hour before joining in for another 30 to 45 minutes. Just like the "good old days". Made a few new acquaintances with similar experiences, views (and vintage) as myself.

It doesn't get much better than this (and little 6M DX in sight...).

73 Steve VK2XV
VK2GOM

Re: A Fun Day on 6M...

Post by VK2GOM »

You sound like a 6m convert, Steve!

Oh - and Happy Birthday 8)

I also use an FT857D at this end, but in my 4x4 as my mobile rig. Great little radio, but sadly still no 6m antenna for it. I will build something pretty soon hopefully.

73 - Rob VK2GOM / G0MOH
VK7XX
Frequent Poster

Post by VK7XX »

just slightly off topic... have you tried "FTbasicMMO" for setting up your 857 ?? If not, it is well worth a look at.

It is a commercial program, but, does allow you an unlimited time 'trial'. You get it from here http://www.g4hfq.co.uk/download.html

John
VK2XV

Post by VK2XV »

VK2GOM wrote:You sound like a 6m convert, Steve!
Actually, more like a rediscoverer...

http://www.djirra.com/amateur_radio/shack

Thanks for the birthday wishes. I am now officially a Senior Citizen.... :wink:

73 Steve VK2XV
VK2XV

Post by VK2XV »

VK7XX wrote:just slightly off topic... have you tried "FTbasicMMO" for setting up your 857 ??
No I haven't - I will have a look in the next couple of days. I have family commitments at the moment and can't play radio today and tomorrow.

Thanks for the heads-up.

73 Steve VK2XV