Rotators

Related discussion about towers, masts, and transmissions lines
VK2HCC

Rotators

Post by VK2HCC »

Hi All, I will be putting up a tower over the next few weeks and and looking at putting a rotator on up top for a couple of yagi's. Probably only 2 yagis, 2m and 70cm, I guess the total weight wont be more than 10-20kg ( not really sure on this), I'm looking for suggestions on rotators that others may use and recommend, naturally I want to pay as little as possible :o but still want quality.

Thanks
Craig
VK2GOM

Re: Rotators

Post by VK2GOM »

Yaesu G450? That would do that comfortably I would have thought. There is a Yaesu one page colour /pdf flier on their website describing all their rotators, along with their technical specifications and ratings.

Or the school of thought of buying the biggest heaviest-duty rotator you can afford to 'future-proof' yourself... 8)

73 - Rob VK2GOM / G0MOH
VK4MDX

Post by VK4MDX »

I just bought one actually, not installed yet, as the cable is not long enough for my install, but looks a good unit
VK4TS

Post by VK4TS »

I believe wherever possible to put at least a single set of bearings above the rotator to take any downward weight...this array does not sound that heavy so the likes of the Stolle style or the Ebay advertised Kopek would suffice especially with sufficient support..

Like Rob says get as big as you can afford..I like the Hy-Gain series and we have several of them at the VK4KW contest station mainly due to the very big brake system..These are T2X's and one older Ham 11..the Hy-Gain series need 8 core which is a pain and suffer from voltage drop on long runs...some of our tower runs are over 100M from the shack...

..at home I have a Ham IV however for a "buy it once and forget it" the new Oz Spid are pretty hard to beat... especially with the PC interface..and one big advantage they have is they can be used over very long cable runs with only four cores needed..
VK4MDX

Post by VK4MDX »

I liked the OzSpid but can't seem to find a current supplier
VK4TS

Post by VK4TS »

I noticed in last months QST there was an advert for the ALPHA Spids under the Hy Gain brand and this months and on the websites there is no mention..Andrew VK4HAM uses an Oz Spid on his portable setup (trailer tower) and it is BULLETPROOF...good luck in your search

http://www.alfaradio.ca/