DU TV & Ham Radio Deluxe

Magic band discussion - antennas, propagation, operating, etc
VK8GB

DU TV & Ham Radio Deluxe

Post by VK8GB »

Some loggers may be interested in viewing DU and HS TV signals received recently in Darwin on the digital communication and waterfall package included in HRD.

Recently I needed a cheap transceiver to use in my apartment in Darwin and after a happy experience with an IC 7000 in my Toyota Hilux, I decided on the new IC 7200 because of it's advanced technology, similar to that used in the IC 7000, and a USB interface which looked like fun to investigate. I found that HRD easily interfaced with the IC 7200 over the USB link and have been playing around with it for a few months now.

The image performance of the IC 7200 on or near 50 MHz is not very flash (infact pretty rotten) but otherwise the rig is nice to use. It doesn't produce much heat in operation and I have found that in the in Darwin ambient, the rig doesn't drift more than 3 Hz from turn on at HF.

Following are some screen captures using Digital Master 780 which is incorporated in Ham Radio Deluxe (HRD).
DU TV 8 Dec 2009 - 4.jpg
The carrier frequency is automatically shown as 59.249.737 and the 60 Hz line frequency is easiler seen. Other weaker carriers can be seen at around 55.249.94, 55.250.00 and 55.250.24.
E2 TV 8 Dec 2009 - 2.jpg
This image shows the signal from the E2 TV station from Nakhon Ratchasima in Thailand on 48.239.597.

The last screen capture shows how I calibrate the software.
BBC 17790 - 8 Dec 2009.jpg
I have found that the BBC HF transmitters are normally atomic locked and I use 17.790 from Singapore to adjust the reference oscillator in the IC 7200 and verify the calibration. This adjustment is made using a front panel control after selecting a software menu, as is also the case for the IC 7000 and IC 7600. The adjustment is made in the CW mode (or MCW in my case), the squelch control slider is placed in the blue line at the top and Automatic Frequency Control (AFC) is enabled. The frequency is seen to be automatically shown as 17.790.000. WWV at 15 MHz can also be used, and I check it from time to time to confirm the BBC frequency.

To change the listening frequency I use the software defined buttons in the waterfall section to instantly change to my pre-programmed favorite frequencies.

I have used other spectrum analysis programs but the interfacing using HRD, the readout of actual frequency and fast freqency selection have inclined me to use HRD.

Provided for information.
VK4MDX

Re: DU TV & Ham Radio Deluxe

Post by VK4MDX »

Holy waterfalls Batman!

I've just started using HRD. How do I et a display like that with all the stations at the top and all the traces on the waterfall?

David

VK4MDX
VK8GB

Post by VK8GB »

Some might be interested in screen dumps of E3 and E2 TV prior to an opening to 9V1 today.

As can be seen the signals were very strong - genuine S9 from a piece of wire attached to the building.

E2 - 18 Dec 2009 a.jpg
E3 - 18 Dec 2009.jpg

(VK4MDX - use favourites and the edit list then select frequency buttons - the display can be set up as an optioned in the waterfall section - have a play with the settings)

VK6OX
Forum Diehard

Post by VK6OX »

Good stuff there Graham. 8) Wow we've come a long way since Cycle 21 eh?? :P

Best wishes and Seasons Greetings.
73 Andy
Andy VK6OX

If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
VK8GB

Post by VK8GB »

I had to reduce the size of the images in my last post and I see that they have become rather pixelised.

Following is a cropped image of the vital bits of the 55.250 signals before the 9V1 opening. According to Todd VK2/SWL1, 55.250015 is Johore Bahru near Singapore.
E3 - 18 Dec 2009 cropped.jpg

(VK6OX - lots of water under the bridge Since Cycle 21 - now divorced and living in an apartment - she didn't like the bird perches!!)