GPS freq lock- Trimble Thunderbolt?

Transceiver mods, fixes, issues, reviews
VK3WE
Forum Novice

Re: GPS freq lock- Trimble Thunderbolt?

Post by VK3WE »

VK2GOM wrote:Hi Bryon,

I feed my Trimble output into a home-built 106.5MHz Synth as I have the kit built Kuhne transverter, and the synth is designed to accept a nominal 10dBm 10MHz input. I measured my Trimble on my oscilloscope and I had a little over the Trimble spec 12.5dBm figure; about 13.2dBm from memory. It's worth measuring yours to see exactly what it spits out, and maybe write it in indelible pen on the casing somewhere for future reference.

You can easily make yourself a 50R ports resistive Pi attenuator if needed - plenty of online calculators for such things. But for a couple of dBm difference, I would hazard a guess that it's really not going to be too critical... I didn't bother attenuating mine and it works fine in my application.

On the other hand you might measure yours and find it's at the low end of the spec at a nice 10dBm or there abouts in which case just feed it right in there with confidence 8)

You could drop Michael DB6NT a quick email once you know the figure and hear it from the horse's mouth, so to speak.

73 - Rob VK2GOM / G0MOH

with regards to the thunderbolt feeding the 10Mhz ref straight into a Kuhne MKU 10G3, please see attached response from Kuhne support:

"The recommended input power range for the 10 MHz reference frequency input is 2 … 10 mW but you can supply the input also with 18 mW.

With this power there is no risk that the input goes defective."