Used prices - transceivers

Transceiver mods, fixes, issues, reviews
VK2VEL

Used prices - transceivers

Post by VK2VEL »

What is it with the second hand market?

It's pretty amazing that people are asking up to $400-500 for 30-35 year old hybrid rigs like TS-520s, FT-101s etc, and up to $700 for 25 year old TS-440s. I assume that these prices are being paid too. We're not talking highly collectible Collins or Halicrafters gear either.

Given that a second hand all signing and dancing rig like a IC706 or an FT897 can be had for around $800 if you are lucky, those market prices seem outrageous. I've seen TS-520s go for $150-$200 and TS-440s for around $400, which is comparatively a good price to the modern rigs at $800-900 second hand.

Sentimental value or the sale price back in 1978 is not a true guide to the value of this type of gear. Or am I missing something?
VK2GOM

Re: Used prices - transceivers

Post by VK2GOM »

Hi Ed,

I totally agree.

Moreso since I also have a G zero call, being a Brit, and back there, rigs like that are plentiful and can be had for two figure pound sterling prices. Just look at any 'junk sale' at a rally, and the tables are full of them. Yet here down-under they still command crazy-high prices. I literally laugh out loud in disbelief when I read some of the ads on VKClassifieds these days for the likes of old TS120's or FT707's.

Exactly the same with cars between UK and Australia too incidentally - I sold my Saab 9000CD before we moved over here, for £50 ($105 AUD or so), which was a fair price for a 10yr old car like that in good roadworthy condition. The same car here commands about $5000 minimum! Different markets I suppose - plenty of used cars in the UK to almost be an excess, but a big market here for car-hungry P Platers etc. It was a tough one to swallow buying another car here that could have been had back in the UK for about 40% of what I paid here, or more likely less.

I have a theory on pricing of used items like radio gear... Prospective sellers simply take a look around online for the average usual asking price, then advertise at or around that price. So it's self-perpetuating. It only needs one seller to sell at a low ball figure to upset that when more prospective sellers see the lower asking price and also sell at that price.

But at the end of the day, any radio is only worth as much as any buyer is prepared to pay for it. I (like you, it sounds) certainly wouldn't shell out big bucks for an old, deaf, drift-prone radio like a TS520 compared to the masterpieces available today at reasonable money, even new 8) But if a seller of an old relic item like that gets their big bucks, good luck to them I guess.

73 - Rob VK2GOM
VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ALB »

old, deaf, drift-prone radio like a TS520
Rob you must have been unlucky to pick a dodgy example of this radio. I think these "boat anchors" have a well deserved reputation as solid no nonsense rig that perform well. My '520 is still going strong with good sensitivity and stays on frequency hour after hour and I'm pleased to say I get plenty of positive unsolicited comments on my transmitted audio quality. The other important point for me is that I can fix my own radio if it were to break. I doubt many of us can do the same with the newer radios. Like you said the price is set by the buyer and plenty of buyers do think they are worth the money. Having said all that I wouldn't pay several hundred dollars for one but I'm lucky, I got my '520 in a swap for a CODAN that I bought on ebay for $15.

Lou.
Lou - VK3ALB

Being right doesn't excuse bad behaviour
VK2GOM

Post by VK2GOM »

Lou,

That does sound like a fair swap if you've got a good one 8)

73 - Rob VK2GOM
VK3PY
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3PY »

A phenomenon I've found remarkable myself....

How on earth these old clunkers from a bygone era could be worth the prices asked is beyond me. Looking at the "Wanted" ads on VK-ham it appears there is a movement towards collecting matching sets of old-time "boat anchor" gear. I guess the market sets its own prices, and becomes self-perpetuating.

Some years ago I saw a couple of ads on VK-ham from vendors offering the old Yaesu QTR-24 "world clocks" at ridiculous prices ($150!). I rolled around laughing until I remembered I had one in a box of junk in the garage. So I put it on VK-ham at a "competitive" price. It sold within the hour and I spent the next couple of days answering emails from keen buyers who missed out. I could have sold that clock ten times over!

As some wag once remarked, nostalgia ain't what it used to be. Like old flame girlfriends, I fondly remember rigs as they were in their youth. If, by chance, I meet them 20, 30 or more years later, they just don't seem as seductive as they once were. Ah, well, you can always restore an old FT-101B close to its former glory........

Chas
VK3PY
VK2VHF

Post by VK2VHF »

vk3py wrote:Like old flame girlfriends, I fondly remember rigs as they were in their youth. If, by chance, I meet them 20, 30 or more years later, they just don't seem as seductive as they once were.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ha ha ha ha I love that quote!

Adrian
VK2VEL

Post by VK2VEL »

VK2GOM wrote: Moreso since I also have a G zero call, being a Brit, and back there, rigs like that are plentiful and can be had for two figure pound sterling prices. Just look at any 'junk sale' at a rally, and the tables are full of them.

Bugger bugger bugger! I was in the UK for about 3 weeks a few months ago but didn't even think to look up any rallies. I could have sent back container loads of stuff to flog on Vkham!!! :twisted:

Having said that, most of my gear has come via VKham, so I'm definitely not knocking the site. There are plenty of fair prices and good deals going there.
VK2VEL

Post by VK2VEL »

vk3py wrote:Like old flame girlfriends, I fondly remember rigs as they were in their youth. If, by chance, I meet them 20, 30 or more years later, they just don't seem as seductive as they once were. Ah, well, you can always restore an old FT-101B close to its former glory........
I suppose a restoring a FT-101B can be called cosmetic surgery for the old flame then? :D

I'm actually looking for something a bit older than a 101- I'm looking for a Trio transmitter/transceiver to match my 9R-59D and JR-60 receivers.
VK5ACY

Post by VK5ACY »

I just sold my ICOM IC-751A for $700 - exactly the same dollar count as I paid for it second hand in 2002. It is an excellent example of older wireless apparatus....

I have here a IC-251A/IC551D matching pair which needs a home with someone who has too much money... :mrgreen: And an IC-720A for someone...

As for some of the 'VKHAM' prices....."tell him he's dreaming" ! ..... I have seen IC-208Hs (and etc.) advertised for better than new price.
VK2GOM

Post by VK2GOM »

Something I just saw advertised that in my mind that beggars belief... the cardboard box for an old TS140 for sale at $30. For a cardboard box!

Where will it end? I think I have the polythene bag that wrapped my IC746 once. I wonder what that's worth? :lol:

73 - Rob VK2GOM
VK4KHZ

Post by VK4KHZ »

And it does not stop with transceivers..... radio accessories appear to follow the same trend. I come across an FEX-736-1200, 1.2G module last week for an FT736R, which was second hand and sold for $845.00!
Maybe we have an increasing number of radio amateurs with far too much disposable income?
VK1FMSY

Post by VK1FMSY »

The pricing of gear on the second-hand market is joke. It stops people trying the hobby because not many people have the disposable income available just to see if they like it. When operators finally realise that the future of the hobby is with younger people that in general do not have the cash, then maybe the prices will become more realistic. I am in my mid 30's and can tell you that I do not have the $$$ readily available to spend on a rig only to find is not what I like. It would be very intersting to see what the age of people are that buy all this kit...
VK2VHF

Post by VK2VHF »

So with the Australia dollar set to climb to US87c by December and US91c by June, we SHOULD :roll: see the price of new gear fall very soon. I know retailers were quick to increase prices last year when the Aussie dollar fell to US63c so it is only fair that prices should start to fall soon.

As new rig prices fall then used rig prices should also fall. :D

Cheers,
VK4TS

Post by VK4TS »

My home station has been traded, swapped, borrowed over a long period and is a very good setup....but I must question if I was new to the hobby whether I would go to the extent of any of my rigs..over the years to get on air i have used converted Cbs and the like FM 2M 6M 70cm....work within the budget you have....

Bang for buck the FT857D (and equivalents) would have to excellent value new or second hand - I have one for the mobile and for the shack for those rare times I am on VHF / UHF.

My favorite rig is an FT1000D - audio quality is great tx and rx..but they command $2000 on the second hand market..so for a newbie - NO unless you are dead-set serious HFer....

....I have recently ordered the IF SDR for the 1000D ($14 USD) and after looking at the prices on the kb9iyg website I would think that new comers would be well advised to look at SDR as an option to get on air with a good rig - 80/40 and 15/10M PAs are worth complete under $100 - OK its a kit - needs building but with SDR its a pretty smart setup for a newcomer...are many following this path ?
VK3BSF

Post by VK3BSF »

Well here it is September 2009 and those boat anchor rig prices are still the same as they were two years ago.....BUT..the rigs are two years older and hence in dire trouble now with dry joints (FT707/IC704/TS440) and deteriorating PCB's (FT101's et al)..my advice is don't take the covers off that old rig 'cos it will just fall apart once u start poking 'round in there.......the trouble is the newer rigs don't look like a Ham radio...the are more like a CB set..volume, mode and dial...with no dip and peak and load after a band change (not to mention the antenna tuner turning and twisting while glaring at the SWR during transmit tune or the Linear dip/peak/load adjustments).... I miss all that, it gives a ham nothin' to do!!...Ah but the Hams of tomorrow will never know them delights!!
VK2GOM

Post by VK2GOM »

My first proper foray onto HF with my Class A (Advanced) license as GW0MOH (aged 18) was with an FT101ZD. I soon became accomplished in tuning the output of that. Great fun. I'm not sure I'd know where to begin these days if someone sat me down in front of another one!

73 - Rob VK2GOM
VK2GOM

Post by VK2GOM »

It goes on... I nearly fell out of my shack chair this morning reading an ad on a VK Classifieds site. Good job my chair has high arm rests...

FT790R, the old Yaesu 70cm brick... $500! :lol:

73 - Rob VK2GOM / G0MOH
VK5ZD
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5ZD »

Maybe it's a 70cm gold brick :lol:

Iain
Iain Crawford - VK5ZD
Munno Para West, SA - PF95ih
VK2TDN

Post by VK2TDN »

VK5ZD wrote:Maybe it's a 70cm gold brick :lol:

Iain
welllllllllllll, as long as guys are willing to pay those prices, the sellers will continue to as for those prices
what can ya do ?? :?
we are all our own worst enemy :roll: hahahaha its a bit like the crazy house prices they wouldnt be as expensive as
they are if everyone said enough's enough and refused to pay out the astronomical sums !

Dave
VK4DD

Post by VK4DD »

It's pretty amazing that people are asking up to $400-500 for 30-35 year old hybrid rigs like TS-520s, FT-101s etc, and up to $700 for 25 year old TS-440s. I assume that these prices are being paid too. We're not talking highly collectible Collins or Halicrafters gear either.
True ... but these rigs will still work after 10 years, when they are 40 to 45 years old. Or else you would be able to repair them.
Modern rigs are fully dependent on small SMD chips. Once these parts are no longer available the radio is ready for the trash... how modern and nice it still may look.
This may also be the case for some very nice looking rigs from today with color computer screens and what not.

So perhaps this is the residual value of these conventional rigs? Or collectors value?
Perhaps the demand is bigger than the supply....

Ron
VK4DD