The callbook - is it still useful today?

General discussion - When it doesn't fit anywhere else
VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

The callbook - is it still useful today?

Post by VK3ALB »

Is a hard copy of the call book useful those of us that have ready access to the internet?

If I'm looking for an updated list of VK repeaters or beacons, I go to the WIA website.
If I'm looking for an updated VK band plan, I go to the WIA website.
If I'm looking for the latest LCD, I go to the WIA website.

If I'm looking for the address of a VK operator, I go to the ACMA web site. A large proportion on the call book is dedicated to postal addresses for VK amateurs. The information in the call book is correct at the time of printing but is very quickly superseded by more accurate and up to date information available from the internet. I can't remember the last time I looked in the call book for an address.

Today, I decided not to buy the latest call book because I can get what I need from the internet.

What do you think?
Lou - VK3ALB

Being right doesn't excuse bad behaviour
VK3BA
Forum Diehard

Re: The callbook - is it still useful today?

Post by VK3BA »

Yep, I agree with most of that, although I recently purchased the 2009 book through the Toyshop. It's interesting to flick through it but I really might only refer to it whilst portable/mobile if the laptop isn't running. The problem is that it is out of date before it's even printed. So it can ever only be a guide but I'm with you, if I'm chasing someone's email/postal addy, etc, I find that the Logger or QRZ are often the best, followed by the ACMA site. As with these three, the info is only good if it's up to date.

As for the repeater listing, it's probably handy as a basic guide or starting point for those without internet access, but again it's way out of date before it's printed. The best place for repeaters is here at the Logger and then by downloading the latest (often updated every week or two) WIA repeater list. But like everything, the lists are only as good as the info submitted. That's where the Logger repeater list is the ultimate due to the latest and comprehensive info - handy if you're using repeaters as beacons.

Plus, I prefer to print off the WIA repeater listing as an A5 sized booklet which is handier for storage in the car, etc.

Cheers,
Nik VK3BA
Bannockburn
http://www.qrz.com/db/VK3BA
VK7HDX

Post by VK7HDX »

I also agree with the comments above. As the book is printed lets say April or August for example, it is very quickly out of date due to the influx of new operators getting their license.

Mind you the CD-ROM version can be handy if you are in the field contesting and looking for basic information and you don't have access to the internet. In 2009 most Amateurs have the internet. Like it or not it is becoming a part of the radio scene.

73.. Karl
VK7HDX
vk3six

What about QSL cards then?

Post by vk3six »

I have recently filled wheelie bin after wheelie bin with QSL cards some would die for both on HF and 6M.
All the DX cardboard from way back in 1979, thousands of cards, log extracts, licencing paperwork, certificates of achievment,
arrl handbooks, rsgb handbooks, ara magazines, cb action, qst, millions of written words all consigned to ashes and dust.
5 band dxcc certificates on HF, the 1st VK 40M WAZ. 5BWAZ certificates, hundred of pieces of paper.

The dump truck even dropepd some and I had to go pick them up off the road.
callsigns you would die for on HF or 6M.

All the cards from hundreds of thousands of hams who worked 5BDXCC to some of these calls I activated or qsl'd for
YJ8OT, H44OT, VK9XT, VK9YT, VK8OT, VK3OT/8, VK3OT/VK9, VK9ZG, VK9ZD, VK0PK, VK0GM, VK2ATZ/LH, VK9LE, FK8DJ, XU0UN, 4W6UN, AL7QZ, 7J1BAX KG6SIX, KL7SIX, VI3OT, VK3ZAZ, VK3BIZ, VK3CGZ, VK3ZWG, VK5ZSG.
All my own cards from every operation everyband dating back to 1979.
30 years of amateur 6M and HF achievements, from who, from where,
HM 6M contacts
HM countries worked what distances?
All those aspiring hams chasing all of those expeditions.
it filled several wheelie bins over several weeks.

The prefixes and countries dropping into the bin, Africa, South America, The Atlantic,
all those rare countries you never hear on,
hundred and hundreds of never to be replaced cards.

I kept the 130 6M cards and a few laminated raries like the world first on 6M band to Antartica and Bouvet in 1978
all the long path 6M stuff like the 9Q5 QSo, but the rest will reccyle to cornflake packets and egg cartons..
I kept the WIA log books back to 1961, not ready to consign them yet awhile.
And electroncially on CD I have the 100,000 6M qsos stored.
And the LOTW tells me they have it all safely stored, so they say.
I am not so sure that all this info is electronically available and how current is it?

E QSL LOTW etc etc.
All that energy to store a million pieces of paper from a million hams on 9 dx bands.

I did not throw out the callbooks, or the log books not yet a while.

But the dxpedition logs are gone and buried every expedition every QSO every QSL has gone.

30 years consigned to dust.

All of this used to be in the callbooks the journals and the magazines.
Nothing much online on this magic all solving internet.

I kept all my wia callbooks right back to 1961 because that is where all the data is stored in perpetuity.
They are a written database of callsigns, radio achievements, records and other data.

You will never replace a book no matter how electronic you go.

But as they say you cant take it with you.

2 cents.
VK2LK
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2LK »

If you ever want to offload some of those old callbooks, I'd be happy to take them!
Matt, VK2LK
VK2VHF

Post by VK2VHF »

Spooky!

I just tossed out my 2006 call book an hour ago.
VK3MEG
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3MEG »

Funny I'm a newish ham 18 months with a license I see the value in the call book and will get one this year its handy in the car or truck.
and for glances at repeaters etc. the cd is also very handy.
cheers
Steve now known as vk3ktt
QF22GG
VK5IR
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5IR »

All the info I'd ever need can be found on QRZ.com or the ACMA & WIA websites.

I have a call book that I bought in the 90's when I was a kid, nice piece of memorabilia, that's about it.
Theo
VK5IR
VK2LK
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2LK »

After not buying one since 2003/2004, I had a chance to read a mates 2011 edition the other day.

Its great to have handy so for the first time in nearly ten years I'm going to buy the new edition when it comes out.
Matt, VK2LK
VK2JH

Post by VK2JH »

I love the call book/s. Great for browsing during nets, etc. The internet is fine, if you have good and quick coverage, but you still have to seek and find the damn stuff. I must admit, that since I no longer go to Wyong, my book is a little dated, so I should do something about it. My most treasured edition is from the 1960's when I was a SWL and still at school. No, keep the hard copies coming.

John
VK2JH/VK4JHC
Mount Hallen
Qld 4312
VK3PF
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3PF »

Hi all,

Interesting discussion...

I guess that as Chair of the WIA Publications Committee, I must first declare an interest in the Callbook.....

There are 2 extra reasons to get the 2013 WIA Callbook:
All copies of Amateur Radio from 2011 in pdf format, for those that wish to clear off some space on the shelf.
The entire NZART Callbook in electronic format.

Should be out early November. That reminds me - I have some proof reading to do!

Cheers,

Peter VK3PF
VK2VHF

Post by VK2VHF »

Now there is an idea for an app!
VK3RX
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3RX »

All copies of Amateur Radio from 2011 in pdf format, for those that wish to clear off some space on the shelf.
That makes it worth it for me :D

My PC isn't running all the time, so it is handy to grab the callbook. Much doesn't change, as a result I've only been buying one every 3-4 years.
Damien VK3RX
VK4CZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4CZ »

All the info I'd ever need can be found on QRZ.com....
I've recently seen (on more than one occasion) reference to QRZ becoming 'pay walled'... removing access to non-members. Obviously the revenues from advertising are no longer supporting the objectives of the owners!
Scott VK4CZ
Clear Mountain QG62lp
http://vk4cz.blogspot.com/
VK4GHZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4GHZ »

VK4CZ wrote:
All the info I'd ever need can be found on QRZ.com....
I've recently seen (on more than one occasion) reference to QRZ becoming 'pay walled'... removing access to non-members. Obviously the revenues from advertising are no longer supporting the objectives of the owners!
To be honest, I'm surprised this hasn't happened earlier!
It costs real money to run servers, and consume bandwidth.

It's amazing how many people still believe the internet should be some almighty free-for-all... remaining totally oblivious to the costs involved.
Just ask the likes of Ruport Murdoch etc.

Nostalgia is nice, but it's a changing world, and has been for almost 20 years, since the internet started becoming available in homes.

I haven't purchased a printed callbook in a decade - everything is online now, and up to date, and I have a printer for the odd thing that requires a hardcopy.
Part of a rainforest saved.
Adam, Brisbane
vk4ghz.com
VK4GHZ on Youtube
VK4GHZ on Odysee

10 things that happen when you stop checking Facebook constantly: http://tiny.cc/t5h7cz

How to quit Facebook: https://www.consumerreports.org/social- ... -facebook/
VK6ADF
Forum Diehard

Post by VK6ADF »

VK3ALB wrote: If I'm looking for an updated list of VK repeaters or beacons, I go to the WIA website.
I usually look on VK Logger.
73 Phil...VK6ADF
VK2CSW
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2CSW »

I have spent more than the last 25 or 30 years sitting in front of computers. The most I have ever operated at a single time was 5002 machines operating a tad under 15000 virtual machines.

Which has led me to dislike using computers when I am not at work.

Therefore I do not (and will not) have a machine in or near my shack.

So yes, the call book is useful.
VK2LK
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2LK »

Amen to that!!!
Matt, VK2LK