Help with Spectran

VK2VHF

Help with Spectran

Post by VK2VHF »

Ok so I have used lots of PSK software but SPECTRAN has me confused! :oops:

I have downloaded the software and connected my rig audio to the PC but I really don't understand much more than that. When I open the software I can see some buttons at the bottom RHS of the window but they are just outside the window and I cannot resize the window.

Anyhow, i hope someone can direct me to some instructions. My Google search delivered nothing.

73 Adrian
VK6ADF
Forum Diehard

Re: Help with Spectran

Post by VK6ADF »

Hi Adrian....a screen capture showing what you see would probably help people understand your problem

This is what a screen capture of my screen is like and should be similar to what you should see.

73 Phil...VK6ADF
VK2OMD
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2OMD »

vk2vhf wrote:....
I have downloaded the software and connected my rig audio to the PC but I really don't understand much more than that. When I open the software I can see some buttons at the bottom RHS of the window but they are just outside the window and I cannot resize the window.
Adrian,

Spectran does not adapt well to being resized smaller than 790x612 pixels. If your screen resolution will not support an app window of that size, you are going to have difficulties.

If you can, you should run higher screen resolution, 1024x768 would be a minimum 'standard' resolution to have joy.

Owen
VK4GHZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4GHZ »

vk2vhf wrote:Ok so I have used lots of PSK software but SPECTRAN has me confused! :oops:
For PSK operation then, that begs the question, have you tried Digipan?

Apart from being very capable, Digipan is easy to use.
The resources required are modest, Win 95, Pentium 266 or better (in other words, any old PC from the last 10 years or so)
I just tried it on my old clunker that has ham software on it, at 800x600, and no problem.

Free to download and use;
http://www.digipan.net

Worth a try if you haven't already, and worthy of another look if you have tried only once before. :D
Adam, Brisbane
vk4ghz.com
VK4GHZ on Youtube
VK4GHZ on Odysee

10 things that happen when you stop checking Facebook constantly: http://tiny.cc/t5h7cz

How to quit Facebook: https://www.consumerreports.org/social- ... -facebook/
VK2VHF

Post by VK2VHF »

Ok thanks guys.

Adam, yes I have used digi pan but now use HRD DM780 for PSK as it links in nicely with HRD rig control.

I became interested in Spectran after seeing many comments on the logger about using Spectran for weak signal VHF contacts.

Could someone give me a quick summary of how it is used in this regard?

Thanks all....Adrian ~VK2VHF~
VK6ADF
Forum Diehard

Post by VK6ADF »

Spectran will show visual indications in the waterfall of signals it hears, sometimes before you can hear the audio tones. Probably similar to what you have experienced on HF PSK31 signals.

73 Phil...
VK3UH
Forum Novice

Post by VK3UH »

Adrian,
Spectran is not decoding software for any digital mode. Think audio SPECTRum ANalyser, and you will get the picture. As a previous poster stated, you will see tones/signals in the waterfall before they are audible in your speaker. Very handy for looking for a beacon etc.

A version of Spectran is also included and used in the WSJT software. It is a very useful piece of software - can even be used to check your receiver is on frequency, once you check the calibration of Spectran's audio frequency display on your computer (mine was very close, and I suspect most are).

There is a help file of sorts in PDF format on the website, which I think is in the download but not certain.
Persevere with it. I think you will find it useful.
Regards,
Ken
VK2VHF

Post by VK2VHF »

Thanks everyone for clearing this up. It now makes more sense.
:D