Basic info for returning 6M operator

Magic band discussion - antennas, propagation, operating, etc
VK2XV

Basic info for returning 6M operator

Post by VK2XV »

G'day,

Having recently become active on 6M again after a hiatus of about 30 years, I was wondering if I can get a heads-up on a few things...

1. What frequency should I call on for a response from anyone ? (i.e., I don't care where they are). I note elsewhere that 50.200 is designated as domestic (?), while 50.110 as international(?). I have heard nothing on 50.200, but hear a quite a lot on 50.110. Is it OK to call a general CQ on 50.110 (after querying that the frequency is clear) and state that I will be listening on 50.160 for example. On my rig/appliance I can operate split and swap VFOs (big deal...) and go through the following sequence...

- Call and listen on 50.110 to check frequency is not in use (no split)
- Call on 50.110 and listen on (say) 50.160 (split)
- Continue on 50.160 (no split)

Or am I being too AR and nobody cares....?

2. What is the situation with ZL ? There is reference elsewhere to the band in ZL being 51-53 except for MED approval. What is the ZL calling frequency ? More specifically - what frequency do they listen on ?

BTW - have heard a few callsigns in the last couple of days that I have in my 1978 logbook...

Don't ask what my antenna setup is (unless you want to have a good laugh... :oops: ), but I run just the appliance 100W on 6M.

Cheers

Steve
VK4GHZ
Forum Diehard

Re: Basic info for returning 6M operator

Post by VK4GHZ »

VK2ZTO wrote:...Or am I being too AR and nobody cares....?
Steve, no you are not being AR, and yes, some of us DO care about observing protocol.

Actually, it's more than just protocol, it's just good manners and respecting your fellow amateur.
Sadly most casual 6m users that come on during the summer have little, or no regard, for the serious DXers.

50.200 is the designated VK calling freq, but due to little or no activity there, most congregate back on the International Call freq of 50.110.

The worst operators are those that call on 110 and then sit there for a chat.
Only after exchanging RST, name, grid, QTH, weather, what they had for breakfast, etc, they then think about QSYing off 110.
This is the height of poor operating, and guys like this ALWAYS have an excuse why they won't move off 110.
The usual lame excuse is that there's nothing else around (maybe for their deaf setup), and it won't hurt, and they are doing everybody a service by letting people know the band is open.
What rubbish.
They conveniently forget that other operators have VFOs and are tuning around anyway.

Keep in mind that excuses are like arseholes - everybody has one! :wink:

From a DXers point of view, it is always appreciated - and expected - that operators will QSY off 110 and above 150 on their next over, immediately after they have established contact with another station.
Unless it is a rare fleeting Long-path contact, for example, to ZD8, then you do not need to exchange RST, etc on 110.

Time spent on 110 should be the time it takes to tell the other station a QSY frequency.

If more domestic operators could observe this simple expectation, then there would be a lot more harmony on the band.

No need to worry about split.
ZLs will be on 110, so no need to worry about 51MHz etc either.

The H calls only have access to 52-54MHz.
I know these guys always appreciate some activity up that part of the band, so consider putting out some calls on 52.100 (the other designated VK Calling freq).

By the way, welcome to the VK Logger Forum, and back to the only band that matters! :D
Adam, Brisbane
vk4ghz.com
VK4GHZ on Youtube
VK4GHZ on Odysee

10 things that happen when you stop checking Facebook constantly: http://tiny.cc/t5h7cz

How to quit Facebook: https://www.consumerreports.org/social- ... -facebook/
VK2XV

Post by VK2XV »

VK4CP wrote:By the way, welcome to the VK Logger Forum, and back to the only band that matters! :D
Thanks Adam.

Just a few more questions if I may.

1. I heard a surprising (for me..) number of stations last night. A couple of VK5s, a VK7 and some local (<150km) VK2s. Now remember when you answer this it has been 30 years... Am I to expect this most nights at this time in the season or was I just lucky to pick last night to listen ?

2. Being retired (recently) my most frequent operating times are probably the inverse of most others (9:00am - 4:00pm). Are there many other ops on during this period ?

Cheers

Steve
VK4QB

Post by VK4QB »

Hi Steve,
Good to have you back on again. Re your question 2. There are a lot of us that are like you, busy doing nothing, working the whole day through, but have, in the background, something monitoring 50.110, or the scanning the beacons. Not everybody works for a crust, while others have monitors etc at work??? The amount of stations that come on the logger when the band opens during week days is phenomenal, and suggests the above monitoring.
Brian 4QB
VK2XV

Post by VK2XV »

VK4QB wrote:something monitoring 50.110, or the scanning the beacons
G'day Brian,

Seems to be the way to go - scanning beacons I mean. I will have to dig out the appliance manual for that....

Look forward to listening, hearing and perhaps working some of you chaps soon.

Steve
VK4GHZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4GHZ »

We are starting to see a good representation of operators in our region here on the 6m VK Logger, and this is at solar minima!
Stations from VK, ZL, A35, 9M6, JA, BY, KH6, and P29 all come to mind.

Aside from the same old same old intra-VK and ZL, you can look forward to A35RK, KH8LG, VK9NS, 3D2AG, P29NB, and perhaps V73NS being about on the band.

We regularly worked Paul, A35RK, last summer.
It was quite an eye opener, how frequent the path was... trouble has always been the lack of activity from the Pacific region.

The EUs can work NA during summer Es, so there is no reason why we can't be achieving the same distances.
All it takes is dedicated operators at the other end... and ohh, yes, getting the idiots who chat on 110 somewhere else so we can bloody well hear the weaker multi-hop stuff underneath!!!

:D
Adam, Brisbane
vk4ghz.com
VK4GHZ on Youtube
VK4GHZ on Odysee

10 things that happen when you stop checking Facebook constantly: http://tiny.cc/t5h7cz

How to quit Facebook: https://www.consumerreports.org/social- ... -facebook/
VK2XV

Post by VK2XV »

G'day Adam,

Here is my contribution...

• If you're using 50.110 this season
    Can we appeal to your sense of reason

After you get a reply to your call
    Please QSY for the benefit of all

So don't be a call frequency hog
    Just give the VFO knob a jog

It is easy - just lift your right or left hand
    And QSY further up this magical band

To do so does not require great art
    Even easy for this boring old f**t

Cheers
Steve
VK5LA

Post by VK5LA »

Hi Steve,

"1. I heard a surprising (for me..) number of stations last night. A couple of VK5s, a VK7 and some local (<150km) VK2s. Now remember when you answer this it has been 30 years... Am I to expect this most nights at this time in the season or was I just lucky to pick last night to listen ?"

The answer to that is the VK5 and VK7 sataions you heard was via a Sporadic E opening...the local stuff most likely ground wave or backscatter.

So don't expect it most nights! Just keep listening! :D

Welcome back

Cheers

Andy - VK5LA