Amateur beacons
VK2ZRH
Forum Diehard

VK2RSY 2m and 70cm beacons

Post by VK2ZRH »

Well, well, well . . . .

From VK2WI News for 19 October 2008:

DONATION TOWARDS DURAL BEACON UPGRADE.

At the Amateur Radio News South Wales Council meeting held last Friday Membership Secretary Norm VK2TOP reported that along with his renewal, one member included a substantial donation to be put towards the VK2RSY Dural beacons. Many thanks from the Dural technical personal [sic]. Work is proceeding in [sic] restoring the missing beacons for 2 metres and 70 cm.They will require new and relocated antennas in addition to transmitters in the CW mode. The first beacons were installed at VK2WI in the early 1970's [sic] and were on 6 and 2 metres. 6 has been replaced for some time [sic] when there was a frequency shift to the 50 MHz spectrum.

Posted in the interests of sharing the news.

73, Roger Harrison VK2ZRH
VK2JDS
Forum Diehard

Re: VK2RSY 2m and 70cm beacons

Post by VK2JDS »

Yay, this is good news Roger but I thought they would have had the money to fund the beacons from us members contributing each year not to mention the sale of assets. Lets hope they can also sort out the 23cm beacon which has gone berserk. I emailed them about it a little while ago.
73's from the bush, Dave
VK2OMD
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2OMD »

VK2JDS wrote:...Lets hope they can also sort out the 23cm beacon which has gone berserk. I emailed them about it a little while ago.
From all reports, that is operating outside of its licence assignment conditions which stipulate a frequency of 1.2964200GHz and modulation type 850HF1A.

Owen
VK2JDS
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2JDS »

23cm is back up, but the modulation of the carrier on keying is a bit wobbly, its very handy!
2m is also up. just need 70cm now...
VK2JDS
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2JDS »

since the 70cm beacon came up on air the 23cm beacon has stopped.
hope it comes back , a very handy tool it is
VK2JDS
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2JDS »

I spoke to Tim vk2ztm on the 80 metre broadcast callbacks this morning, he went and checked the 23cm beacon and it had stopped due to overtemperature trip. he then reset it and its back up and going!
now i can get back to my local oscillator drift experiments again.
its a 200km path over the blue mountains to receive the beacon so its a perfect source for the moonbounce gear here.
cheers from the bush