Sharing ADSL over WIFI with neighbour 300m away

Computer, software discussion that does NOT fit into the above categories ^ ^ ^
VK5IR
Forum Diehard

Sharing ADSL over WIFI with neighbour 300m away

Post by VK5IR »

Hi

I am looking at sharing my broadband with my sister in-law over wifi who lives roughly 300 meters away by road, less by line of sight. It is a residentual area with houses n trees in between, but I already have a nice high antenna mast on my roof for other communications equipment that I could use to get an antenna nice n high and point to her house.

I understand that this can be done using wifi radio's and outdoor antenae (omni directional or yagi, I dunno?), but am not sure what sort of equipment is needed nor brand ppl recommend.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Edit: According to Pythagorean theory, the line of sight distance to network wirelessly is about 282 meters, so I'm gonna go with 300 meters.
Theo
VK5IR
VK4GHZ
Forum Diehard

Re: Sharing ADSL over WIFI with neighbour 300m away

Post by VK4GHZ »

There is no reason why this should not work.

Many wireless modem/routers these days have a fixed antenna.
I have my Netgear DG834G v4 in pieces at the moment, to remove the fixed antenna, and add a reverse SMA connector on the rear of it, so I can plug in an external antenna.
My earlier DG834 v2 had a removable antenna/SMA socket on the rear.
The v4 PCB still accomodates the SMA socket, but the socket itself has been removed for cost cutting reasons.

Bear in mind, at 2.4GHz, you will want to keep the feedline the absolute shortest you can manage, and use the best coax you can afford.
You can easily purchase rev-SMA to N-conn adapters.
I would suggest the highest gain yagi you can afford/build, and point it towards your sister-in-laws place.
Some wifi modem have dual antennas, so it may be practical to use one internal antenna for your own home, and modify the modem so you can connect the yagi to the second antenna port.
Adam, Brisbane
vk4ghz.com
VK4GHZ on Youtube
VK4GHZ on Odysee

10 things that happen when you stop checking Facebook constantly: http://tiny.cc/t5h7cz

How to quit Facebook: https://www.consumerreports.org/social- ... -facebook/
VK3HZ
Forum Diehard

Re: Sharing ADSL over WIFI with neighbour 300m away

Post by VK3HZ »

I'm not sure from your post if you're really LOS (as in optically) or if there are trees in the way. Trees do attenuate 2.4GHz significantly, so the success could depend on how many trees are in the way.

To avoid the problem with loss in coax, you could put the WiFi box at the top of the tower and run a Power-Over-Ethernet (POE) setup. Of course, then you need a weatherproof enclosure.

The Melbourne Wireless people are trying to set up their own community wireless network, so you might get some clues from their web site:
http://melbourne.wireless.org.au/

Regards,
Dave.