Hole for Mast

Related discussion about towers, masts, and transmissions lines
VK5IR
Forum Diehard

Hole for Mast

Post by VK5IR »

G'day

2morrow I will be digging a hole for a mast I will be putting up. It's the telescopic mast that has a max height of 12m available from Hills. I will be putting it in the ground in my back yard. I will be putting in a steel tube slighty bigger in diameter than the mast itself to hold the mast and the mast will be removable when I want it to be. The mast will be installed for supporting a 40m half wave dipole only from the center.

I am wondering what the recommended diameter and depth for the hole in the ground should be. I will be filling the hole with quickdry cement.

Thanks.

Theo
VK5FTDM
Theo
VK5IR
VK6ADF
Forum Diehard

Re: Hole for Mast

Post by VK6ADF »

VK5FTDM wrote:G'day

2morrow I will be digging a hole for a mast I will be putting up. It's the telescopic mast that has a max height of 12m available from Hills. I will be putting it in the ground in my back yard. I will be putting in a steel tube slighty bigger in diameter than the mast itself to hold the mast and the mast will be removable when I want it to be. The mast will be installed for supporting a 40m half wave dipole only from the center.

I am wondering what the recommended diameter and depth for the hole in the ground should be. I will be filling the hole with quickdry cement.
VK5FTDM
Hi Theo...I get the impression you intend to use it as a free standing mast. I think it will need guys or else it will tend to bow a bit even with a dipole. As the guys do most of the supporting then the size of the hole and depth does not really matter and it is just enough to stop the base from sliding out. The size of a free standing mast hole and amount of concrete is usually worked out by the engineers who design it.

I would think Hills would mention in their paperwork the recommended fixing methods. Last one I saw had a base plate which just required pins driven into the ground to hold it in place.

73 Phil...VK6ADF