Roger Beep

ATUs, PSUs, Rotators, Test Equipment, components, etc
VK2OMD
Forum Diehard

Roger Beep

Post by VK2OMD »

A novel approach for a Roger Beep / K generator for those interested in such things: http://www.vk1od.net/rb/index.htm .

Owen
VK4CZ
Forum Diehard

Re: Roger Beep

Post by VK4CZ »

Owen

Please don't perpetuate them - 50.110 today is full of them :cry:
Scott VK4CZ
Clear Mountain QG62lp
http://vk4cz.blogspot.com/
VK2OMD
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2OMD »

VK4CZ wrote:Owen

Please don't perpetuate them - 50.110 today is full of them :cry:
I know some people don't like them.

I have been hearing Ks from stations here this morning on 144.1 and I can't quite hear the voices, so it demonstrates to me that although I can't work them, I am aware of their presence and with a little more improvement in the path, they are workable. Hearing the weak Ks is an incentive to keep listening which has to be good!

I make the observation, that although in this part of the world more stations whistle a K, very weak whistled Ks are under represented in weak signal reception, so it suggests that whisting the K is less effective. My feeling is that it is so much less effective as to be of doubtful benefit. Personally, I would discourage whistled Ks.

Anyway, it is a matter of personal choice, and I am not about to impose my personal view on others.

Owen
VK4GHZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4GHZ »

VK1OD wrote:
VK4CZ wrote:...so it suggests that whisting the K is less effective. My feeling is that it is so much less effective as to be of doubtful benefit. Personally, I would discourage whistled Ks.
Amen.
Having to listen to inane whistles makes me want to turn the rigs off.

Even funnier when an operator says "dah-di-dah".
Good grief. :lol: :roll:
Adam, Brisbane
vk4ghz.com
VK4GHZ on Youtube
VK4GHZ on Odysee

10 things that happen when you stop checking Facebook constantly: http://tiny.cc/t5h7cz

How to quit Facebook: https://www.consumerreports.org/social- ... -facebook/
VK2OMD
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2OMD »

VK4CP wrote:
VK1OD wrote:
Amen.
Having to listen to inane whistles makes me want to turn the rigs off.

Even funnier when an operator says "dah-di-dah".
Good grief. :lol: :roll:
. _ .

Owen
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

Hi Owen

Personally I was quite interested to read of this circuit, thanks for posting it.
VK4GHZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4GHZ »

I should get mine going again... just for Scott!!! :wink:
Adam, Brisbane
vk4ghz.com
VK4GHZ on Youtube
VK4GHZ on Odysee

10 things that happen when you stop checking Facebook constantly: http://tiny.cc/t5h7cz

How to quit Facebook: https://www.consumerreports.org/social- ... -facebook/
VK7HDX

Post by VK7HDX »

I use a "K" generator with my FT-857d. Which is built into the rig (menu 11).

And I have many operators asking me at the time where did I get the "K" from because they like the audio/tones.

Sure its a personal thing but in the right hands and used under certain conditions its not so "in your face".

It can enhance the DX experence between two weaker stations.

73...Karl
VK7HDX
VK4BKP

Post by VK4BKP »

I use a tin whistle. It even plays jingle bells. :lol:
VK7HDX

Post by VK7HDX »

Hi Trent..
Thank you for responding with some postive thoughts.
And my "K" gen will be still active way after Feb 08 on other bands under certain conditions.

On close inspection of other posting here I have had nothing but negitive replies from certain operators because I dont follow there ideas and you guessed it...... "I dont care".

I'm willing to take on those operators as well in postive posting here at the logger or private emails.

We have many senior operators who have seen many cycles and they dont have the "Grumpy ol' man syndrome".

I'm tried of all the snobbery getting about these days with Amateur radio. I was under the impression "we" were all doing the same thing having fun and learning something along the way and not flexing they own opinions on new operators.

I'm apart of the next generation of Amateur operators and I'm very happy to learn ideas not forced from our more experence operators.

BTW this is my opinion......

73...Karl
VK7HDX
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

Hi Karl

I was going to suggest that you simply ignore these operators who dont do anything to encourage other operators to participate, as they are not worth responding to, how ever big or small their stations may be, but you made a pretty good response there anyway. Also many people probably did not get to read Steves initial posting before if was modified, I was quite shocked and disgusted to read that :!: .

We dont all need F or E layer openings to use 50 MHz, they probably have not heard of tropo, meteors and AE. Your K tone will certainly come in handy for experiments with these modes of propagation. I'll be interested to see how you go.

Andrew VK3KAQ made a very interesting presentation at Gippstech in 2006 about 50MHz Tropo ducting, you should try and get hold of that and have a read.

Your certainly making a big impact by being so active Karl, activity creates activity, so keep up the good work.
VK4TS

Post by VK4TS »

Karl - How to QRV CW !

Many of the purists may dispare there is still the use of programmes such as CWGET and CWDecoderXP, that will allow you to get on air in the CW mode. I use and recommend WD6CNF's "CWDecoderXP". It has a beacon facility as well as 12 different memories, basically everything you need to get on CW, there is also a programme by the same author Voice Keyer that feels the same as the CW Decoder,I used this to keep 10M SSB on air in the Oceania contest from VK4WIL unfortunately for this time of the year it doesn't decode drunk english you have to do that yourself still !

My thoughts ? At least you are on air in CW mode making contacts..These two programmes partner VKCL very well to give it some features it misses when you are used to N1MM,Writelog or other more common contesting platforms.

http://www.hotamateurprograms.com/previews.htm
VK4TZL

Post by VK4TZL »

G'Day All,

I have used a K Tone for 14 years with not so much as one Negative comment. I don't use it when the conditions do not warrant it, and having also been on the receiving end of K tones and Rodger Beeps with weak signals, and have found it to be a very useful tool. I have hung around after hearing just a K Tone, to later work the Station generating it when conditions improved.

Glenn
VK4TZL / VK4BG
VK4TJ
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4TJ »

Locally, a lot of K whistlers must be blowing straight into the mike, as all I hear on the receive end is air movement. Probably looks good from their end on the ALC, but agreed, no help as a band opening indicator.

I sort of snicker every time I hear one, as these are the same people who run down CW, yet every time they whistle "K", they validate the efficiency of CW over SSB as a weak signal mode :-)
VK2XSO

Post by VK2XSO »

I wonder if there is a ham out there named, "Roger Beep" ? :mrgreen:
VK2OMD
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2OMD »

VK1OD wrote:...
I make the observation, that although in this part of the world more stations whistle a K, very weak whistled Ks are under represented in weak signal reception, so it suggests that whisting the K is less effective. My feeling is that it is so much less effective as to be of doubtful benefit. Personally, I would discourage whistled Ks.
Intrigued by reports that my K sounds much louder than voice, I have conducted a small experiment.

I have a TS-2000 with mic gain setup for a small amount of ALC, processor OFF, and I have recorded from the TX MONI output a small spoken test message ending with a whistled K and the Roger Beep's K. I analysed the spectral content of the 'dah' of my best whistled K and of the Roger Beep's K. The Roger Beep tone is 17dB higher than the whistled K tone peak. Much of the power in the whistled K is distributed as noise and would not assist in recognition at a distant receiver.

So, is it different with processing on?

I have a TS-2000 with mic gain setup for a small amount of ALC, processor ON (moderate, about 6-8dB of compression), and I have recorded from the TX MONI output a small spoken test message ending with a whistled K and the Roger Beep's K. I analysed the spectral content of the 'dah' of my best whistled K and of the Roger Beep's K. The Roger Beep tone is 5dB higher than the whistled K tone peak. Much of the power in the whistled K is distributed as noise and would not assist in recognition at a distant receiver.

In both cases, the Roger Beep tone level is adjusted to just cause ALC, ie it results in 100% transmitter output.

This demonstrates to me that the K from the Roger Beep is much more effective than the best whistled K, and even more so for the poorer whistled Ks.

To summarise, in my case, the Roger Beep advantage over a whistled K was 17dB with no speech processor, and 5dB with speech processing.

Owen
VK4DD

Post by VK4DD »

Hi Owen,

I think this is a very nice project and also like your new factory made PCB.
My roger beep is build into my hand mike and I have added switch so I can turn it off quick if needed.
I know I turn it off with the settings but the switch was easy to implement.

Great project well done :wink:

Ron VK4KDD
VK2GOM

Post by VK2GOM »

VK4TJ wrote:Locally, a lot of K whistlers must be blowing straight into the mike, as all I hear on the receive end is air movement. Probably looks good from their end on the ALC, but agreed, no help as a band opening indicator.
I just put my 2m Yagi back up last night (in place of my VHF/UHF/SHF vertical) and have been listening on 2m today. I have heard a lot of these!

I'm not quite sure what the blowing into the mic with a superimposed background K whistle is meant to achieve :?:

Do it properly, and fit a K / T beep module into your radio or mic. It's easy to do! 100% modulation by a tone rather than blown air.

an IC910 example is here http://bmarc.org/sites/default/files/ra ... 202010.pdf Probably a similar installation for other radios.

73 - Rob VK2GOM / GW0MOH