WSJT

WSJT 65 (and variants) Discussion
VK1PWE

WSJT

Post by VK1PWE »

Hello. I want to try WSJT with a longer view of trying EME with it. I've looked at the web page, but wondering if anyone has any tips before I go downloading the software and start trying it. How does the software interface with the radio?

I'm also using a Mac, so if anyone has tried WSJT with a Mac, grateful for any problems you've had.

Thanks in advance...
VK3HZ
Forum Diehard

Re: WSJT

Post by VK3HZ »

You'll need a Sound Card interface.

These normally connect the Line In/Out of the PC to the TNC (or Digital) In/Out of the rig (which is just a line level audio in/out). It's best to use one that provides ground isolation via transformers to avoid earth loops. The software is very sensitive, and residual hum from an earth loop can degrade the performance.

The interface also connects the rig PTT to one of the PC serial port handshake lines (DTR or RTS) so that the software can key up the rig. Again, this is best done via an opto-isolator to avoid an earth loop.

The interface is quite simple, and there are several circuits floating around on the net.

As to the question of using a Mac ... good luck :o
VK4ABW
Forum Diehard

Re: WSJT

Post by VK4ABW »

With WSJT and EME, you need to keep the system as quiet as possible. It is relatively easy to setup and operate, and as you go you can refine your operating skills.

JT65A is used for 50mhz (or below) eme, JT65B is used for 144mhz eme and JT65C for 432 / 1296 eme. The algorithms in the program have been designed around the variables at different frequencies hence the three modes.

One of the older versions of WSJT allows you to 'ping' the moon, to test your system capability and conditions however, you will NOT hear your own echoes unless you have a moderate setup. Moderate is considered 4 long boom yagi's on any band.

The program basically runs itself and provides the ability to record contacts and ping tests. This is a great way of analysing changes to your system, etc.

WSJT also has a few other terrestrial modes which can be a real treat to play with. Meteor scatter, aircraft scatter, minimal ducting conditions, etc, can all be explored using these modes. It just requires someone at the other end.

Enjoy.

Gary
VK4ABW