Its time

Magic band discussion - antennas, propagation, operating, etc
VK3SIX

Its time

Post by VK3SIX »

FWIW with the looming closure of Analog TV has anyone thought to approach the ACMA for an indication of what crumbs we will be left with when they carve up 46-52 megs?

Peter Stacpole SK pioneered the changes but with his death went any serious considerations for 6M SIG's.

Who is the champion for 6 these days?

3000 WIA members vs 9000 non members.

Who speaks for us?
Six M protagonists got variations to the TLS in the form of 50-05 to 50.2 expanded to 50.000 to 50.300 but has any other concessions stalled?

VK7 now has full privildedges and it is assumed/hoped that the rest of VK east coast gets the same as the rest once Channel 0 goes off.
Anyone have any ideas or updates on the prognosis for 50-52?
VK4GHZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4GHZ »

As a side note (and slightly off topic), from a 6M DXers point of view, it is dissapointing to see the analogue cutoff date extended.

How rediculous... digital broadcasting began in earnest in January 2001 (at least within the Nine network when I was full-time there).

The main reasons for an extended phase-in period was expense to the consumer... figures of up to $20k were quoted for a digital television receiver.
What rubbish, and you can even purchase a Standard Definition DVB set-top box for a measly $69 now.

If you're a ham who lives in a capital city and doesn't have a digital tv (either a tv with an integrated DVB tuner or an external DVB set-top box), you should be ashamed.

Lead the way.
Demonstrate to your neighbours how good digital tv is and encourage them to get with the program.

I would have thought 3-4 years to cut over to DVB would have been more than enough.
Adam, Brisbane
vk4ghz.com
VK4GHZ on Youtube
VK4GHZ on Odysee

10 things that happen when you stop checking Facebook constantly: http://tiny.cc/t5h7cz

How to quit Facebook: https://www.consumerreports.org/social- ... -facebook/
VK7HDX

Post by VK7HDX »

And even more off the original topic (sorry). Added bonus of a DSB device is if you have any TVI issues at $60 to $70 AUD dollars.

Its a quick easy fix for "most" TVI problems and I may save you some hair in the long run plus your footware to the house next door or a visit from the ACMA :shock:

Try Digital.

I once have a issue on 80m, every time I would keyed-up Total blackout on VHF CH-9. So this year when I am having the crew over for the Trans-Tasman contest (12-May-07). We can all knock ourselfs out by calling with no worries about upsetting the YL's inside watching (digital) quaility pictures and sound. And that's a winner in my books. :D :D

73..Karl
VK7HDX
VK2OMD
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2OMD »

VK4CP wrote:...
The main reasons for an extended phase-in period was expense to the consumer... figures of up to $20k were quoted for a digital television receiver.
What rubbish, and you can even purchase a Standard Definition DVB set-top box for a measly $69 now.
Adam, do the $69 STB do modulated RF? If they don't, there is nearly as much expense for a quality modulator for TV setups that cannot use composite video or better.

TVs don't last 20+ years anymore, they might still be running, but like your computer, they are obsoleted by technology advances. That is a hard message to sell to some people who bought televisions without AV (or higher) input in the early 80s and really need to consider a new TV (with or without an integrated digital tuner).

As someone else noted, the digital TV is less susceptible to TVI, but if it is affected, it is seriously bad!

Owen