Surplus Bigpond satellite uplink gear

23cm, 2.4/3.4/5.7/10/24/47 GHz and above - antennas, propagation, operating, etc. Includes Optical communications, with light,
VK2JDS
Forum Diehard

Surplus Bigpond satellite uplink gear

Post by VK2JDS »

Here is some gear that would interest us, surplus asiasat3 bigpond 2 way satellite equipment. Lots of people are dumping it and moving to gobush on ipstar which involves new equipment.
I am going through this now, just have to work out what to utilise it for
VK3HZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3HZ »

Looks like they're on about 12.5 GHz so they may be able to be modded to run on 10 GHz. Do you know anything about the units? Anywhere in particular they are being dumped?

Dave.
VK2TRF
Forum Novice

Post by VK2TRF »

Drop me a line at vk2trf@yahoo.co.au . I would love to have look at this ex uplink gear as I am into 10GHz.
VK2JDS
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2JDS »

well mine is now surplus, its offline , so will be able to have a good look at it shortly.
waveguide coming out of the transmit end feeding into a duplexer assembly
i was hoping someone had tried a conversion
73's
VK2XSO

Post by VK2XSO »

I commissioned some of that gear. So I can enlighten you as to it's operation.

The receive side isn't anything special, it's no different to any other satellite setup.
The transmit bandpass is 14.000-14.500GHz.
The SSPA (solid state power amp) is about 2 watts. So it's not a lot.
The system is designed to be reliant on the earth station.
If it cannot receive a signal from the earth station, it means that the dish is not pointed correctly or you head is in the way. Either condition does not warrant the transmitter to be on.
Ethier it's brains being cooked or spurious signals transmitted onto the wrong satellite, which is annoying.

For the system to work correctly, the singal being transmitted from the earth station needs to be recovered. It has a timing signal embedded in it.
This reference is used to derrive very accurate timing so that the customer units transmit in the correct timeslots (TDMA) and for the generation of the 14GHz signal which needs to have a low phase noise.

The BUC is powered up the coax in the same fashion as the LNC.
The IF frequency no only carries the information to be transmitted, but the frequency control through multiplication AND addition.
On top of this a reference a phase signal is sent to the converter to provide stability for the oscillator.

It's been a few years since they were brought into service, so I've forgotten exactly what is inside them, but if anybody wants to donate a unit or sell one cheaply, I'll take some photos and attempt to explain which parts are useful and which parts are not.