Does the Icom IC-705 Drift? Test and Results HERE!

Transceiver mods, fixes, issues, reviews
VK7HH
Forum Diehard

Does the Icom IC-705 Drift? Test and Results HERE!

Post by VK7HH »

Does the Icom IC-705 drift in frequency? The results may surprise you! In this video I put that to the test with my IC-705 using WSPR. The radio was set to transmit 5W and received by my GPS locked IC-9700 at my remote station.

VK3QI
Forum Diehard

Re: Does the Icom IC-705 Drift? Test and Results HERE!

Post by VK3QI »

Hayden,

Your finding does seem to conflict somewhat with the earlier findings from the 7OTC video at the 23:50 minute mark.

It would appear that duty cycle differences might be an issue, say, between continuous Digital transmisions, SSB and CW transmissions.

Still waiting to find out what master oscillator frequency is involved and how it relates to the generation of 2mx and 70cm hetrodyne signals from the stated 38 MHz IF.

Even VA7OJ seems reluctant to investigate!

Cheers

Peter VK3QI
VK7HH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK7HH »

Hi Peter,
I didn't do the tests on the 7OTC video and as you've pointed out duty cycle was indeed different.

All I did was a real world test like I would if I was running it normally at home and documented my findings accordingly.

Still waiting on the oscillator frequency myself. Icom America says the service manual will be out accordingly soon.
VK3QI
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3QI »

Roger dodger Hayden,

I guess the key difference between the 705 and the 9700 is the fan and its effect on the various duty cycles.

Let's hope the service manual becomes available soon and we can get an idea of how they do it.

Cheers

Peter VK3QI