WIA Contest Champion and the Ross Hull Contest

Contesting, Field Days, Activity Days, Portable operating, JOTA, SOTA
VK4TS
Forum Diehard

WIA Contest Champion and the Ross Hull Contest

Post by VK4TS »

WIA Contest Champion and the Ross Hull

Since the start, the WIA Contest Champion has catered for the Ross Hull Contest - the Ross Hull regularly only has 10 and less contesters enter - Should the Ross Hull be deleted as a contest from the contest champion scoring criteria?
Trent VK4TS
PO Box 275 Mooloolaba 4557
Mobile 0408 497 550 vk4ts@wia.org.au
VK4GHZ
Forum Diehard

Re: WIA Contest Champion and the Ross Hull Contest

Post by VK4GHZ »

Trent, I can't help, but quote myself.

From over 7 years ago, and the relevant parts are bold.

VK4GHZ wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:03 pm
VK3BJM wrote:From what I recall of other discussions about this in the dim dark past, one of the factors taken into consideration for the scheduling of the Summer Field Day is a hope of catching an Es outbreak - sorry, opening - on 6 and 2 metres, to bolster offerings via tropo and to increase the chances of successful participation by stations in the more remote regions - upper VK4, VK8, VK6 - who otherwise haven't much to look forward to.

It also has the bonus effect of tying the logs in with the Ross Hull Contest. I'm not sure where that contest would be without logs from the Summer Field Day
Barry, this is exactly the reason why the Spring FD was moved back one (or was it two?) weeks into late(r) November, when there is a significantly higher likelihood of Es.
And for the reason you mentioned! More opportunity for more grids.

And agree about the Ross Hull too. It's a dead duck, if it weren't for the Summer FD logs.
If the Summer FD were moved outside of the common Ross Hull window, then it would most certainly reveal the Ross Hull can no longer stand up by itself.
That may be a unpleasant wake up call for some, and probably the reason why the Summer FD may not ever change outside of this common window, but I think there must be better ways to remember these great pioneers.
Being remembered by some event that is clearly decaying is quite insulting.

Things that worked in the past may not continue to work as well in the future.
Ongoing innovation is important to keep things fresh and interesting, and this has been sadly lacking in the last decade.
The end result is all the bickering which just builds more and more up over time.

Source: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=11128&hilit=ross+hull&start=60

The John Moyle was already dead 7 years ago.

Some of the old topics here are quite in enlightening, as to what was being discussed then, versus the current state of affairs now.
Get ready for a good laugh whilst you shake your head in disbelief as to how badly the VHF & microwave FDs and contests have been mis-managed.

}:[
Adam, Brisbane
vk4ghz.com
VK4GHZ on Youtube
VK4GHZ on Odysee

10 things that happen when you stop checking Facebook constantly: http://tiny.cc/t5h7cz

How to quit Facebook: https://www.consumerreports.org/social- ... -facebook/
VK4TS
Forum Diehard

Re: WIA Contest Champion and the Ross Hull Contest

Post by VK4TS »

Spot on Adam

Nothing more to add than to what we have in the past -

My suggestion is to introduce another VHF UHF Day- 4 in all -Or perhaps use the existing John Moyle VHF UHF categories -
and give the Ross Hull Trophy to the winner of the points score as per the Contest Champion.
100 points for 1st place 80 for second etc

The highest possible score would be 400 and the Ross Hull Trophy would be awarded to the winner of the aggregate of points of the VHF UHF events
Trent VK4TS
PO Box 275 Mooloolaba 4557
Mobile 0408 497 550 vk4ts@wia.org.au