VK3RGI - 2M, 70CM and 23CM TX spectrum

Amateur beacons
VK3ECK
Forum Novice

VK3RGI - 2M, 70CM and 23CM TX spectrum

Post by VK3ECK »

No offence meant to the people who provide beacons but the VK3RGI beacons have a poor transmitted spectrum with on the 2M beacon approx. 2.3KHz sidebands at only -42dB wrt carrier and a high noise plateau from carrier to the first pair of sidebands. On 70CM it is +/- 8KHz and 50dB down
Frequency stability is excellent and spot on.
All my equipment is GPS locked and the spectrum viewed on an SDR panoramic display and on an HP spectrum analyser for the 2M beacon.
My transverter LO's are low phase noise crystal oscillators locked on to the 10KHz output from a JupiterT GPS module with sub 1Hz loop filter bandwidths.
Looks like the issue occurs from GPS locking and a PLL loop filter bandwidth too high. I sincerely hope that a LC VCO is not used for locking on to the GPS.
First sideband obliterates VK3RED on 2M.
Please accept as constructive feedback from a retired designer of synthesised mobile and portable radios from Philips.
Beacon signals should look like they came from a crystal oscillator I believe.
73 Ray
VK3ZYC
Forum Novice

Re: VK3RGI - 2M, 70CM and 23CM TX spectrum

Post by VK3ZYC »

Hi Ray,
I live very close to you and have no problems with VK3RED reception here, i have a larger problem with the 1K eirp from the the nearby Paging Transmitters.
Please come up on the Local UHF repeater VK3RGU 438.375 mHZ after 8.30 PM to discuss with the beacon custodian.

Or come around and we can discuss over the fence. (Social Distancing)

JIm, VK3ZYC