Field day GPS

Contesting, Field Days, Activity Days, Portable operating, JOTA, SOTA
VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

Field day GPS

Post by VK3ALB »

I think many of you would know about the excellent Arduino GPS by ON7EQ. David VK5KK and Wayne VK5APN took the original code and modified it to their own requirements. The standout modification was the 10 character Maidenhead display. This matches the resolution of the K7FRY locator page which makes site planning a breeze. I finally got around to making my own version of the GPS building on David and Wayne's code. I changed some of the code to add a temperature display.

FD_GPS.jpg

I hope the sight of a temperature under 25 degrees is not too distressing to the VK4's.

There's no circuit, as the Neo-7M GPS, i2c display board and DS-1820 only need supply and one or two wires to work. The code is self explanatory.

VK3ALB_tinygps_2.3.zip
(5.62 KiB) Downloaded 119 times
Lou - VK3ALB

Being right doesn't excuse bad behaviour
VK6TU
Forum Novice

Re: Field day GPS

Post by VK6TU »

Lou,
Just came across your project, I have been playing with the NEO-7M GPS and a LCD screen.
I like the extra information you have displayed. :clap:

I have just got a PCB made that holds a 1602 LCD with a NEO-7M GPS and Arduino Nano in a compact package and am using it to display the UTC time.
I have also started to design a similar board to sit behind a 2004 LCD with the intention of doing something similar to your project and also to use for a Morse code oscillator that will make a nice tone when a key is used and also display the sent letters on a LCD display, will be used for JOTA and hopefully as a hands on display for the Light House weekend

Would post a image if I could work out how, There is some images here as I have shared the board on PCBWay

https://www.pcbway.com/project/sharepro ... clock.html

73 from Michael
VK6TU
VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ALB »

Hi Michael,

That's a really good looking project. Nice work cutting out the PCB for the GPS. As for adding pictures open the FAQ link at the top of the page and search for attachments. That should give you enough info to get started.

Great job. :thumbup:
Lou - VK3ALB

Being right doesn't excuse bad behaviour
VK6TU
Forum Novice

Post by VK6TU »

Lou,
Thanks, my aim was to have a compact board that sat nicely on the back of the screen, including the GPS.
I am happy with the results as was the first time I have designed a board and got it professionally made. :clap:

Image attached showing the final result sitting on top of my rotator controller.

Think I will have to change the code to say UTC instead of Time, would also like to have the raw data available to the serial out via USB so I can use the GPS to set my computer clock, can get that to work but not with the clock and serial out at the same time.

73 from Michael
VK6TU
Attachments
GPS Clock final result
GPS Clock final result