Sattrak 3 controller

Discussion about orbiting satellite, and balloon launches
VK2NB
Forum Novice

Sattrak 3 controller

Post by VK2NB »

Hi To the forum

There was a project that Graham VK5AGR ( Australian Amsat Coordinator ) was involved with in the 80s and 90s called Sattrak 3 and it was a stand alone controller for az/el rotators and doppler control.

I have rescued one that still powers up and inquiring if any one has any configuration information. circuits diagrams etc.

I realize that this going back 30 years but thought I would ask any way as I want to use the unit with a old ft736 that I have.

Thanks in advance
Nigel
VK4GHZ
Forum Diehard

Re: Sattrak 3 controller

Post by VK4GHZ »

Have you got a copy of this Nigel?

This extract is from 73 May 1989.

Sat Trak III.pdf
(5.37 MiB) Downloaded 139 times
Adam, Brisbane
vk4ghz.com
VK4GHZ on Youtube
VK4GHZ on Odysee

10 things that happen when you stop checking Facebook constantly: http://tiny.cc/t5h7cz

How to quit Facebook: https://www.consumerreports.org/social- ... -facebook/
VK2NB
Forum Novice

Post by VK2NB »

Hi There

Thanks for that, I have not seen that review before.
I originally built a sattrak 3 controller about 30 years ago in conjunction with a group that was organised by Graham VK5AGR and Graham did a lot of further development for the project.
Due to moving and young children I was very quiet in the hobby for many years but getting back into it and I was always impressed by that project and I used my sattrak 3 extensively especially for the original microsatts.

73s

Nigel VK2NB
VK7ZBX
Forum Novice

Post by VK7ZBX »

I also have a Sattrak 3 unit, that was also built with the help of Graham vk5agr, along witgh lots of other kit and i allso drifted away with familly taking precendence.

I have not heard anything of Graham vk5agr, is he still about i wonder ?

I managed to obtain another battery backed Ram chip. It used to work very very well indeed.

I believe there was also a utility written by Graham that took the kep elements and converted them to a text file that coulld be uploaded to the sat trak in text mode.

I should dig it out and have a play.

I have since built a unit based on the k3ng and it works well with my kr400/kr500

Happy to send any info if required.

Cheers

Richard
VK2NB
Forum Novice

Post by VK2NB »

Hi Richard

Thanks for the reply

Any information would be good, I emailed Graham VK5AGR via the email address on the WIA website but no reply.
I am not sure of Graham status ( I mean that very respectively we are all getting on )
The K3NG sounds interesting, if you could forward any information you have that would be appreciated.
I have been busy with family maters hense the late reply.

Regards
Nigel VK2NB
VK7ZBX
Forum Novice

Post by VK7ZBX »

Hi Nigel.

I have found some documentation that you may find useful.

I have attached 3 files containing further details.

I have not been able to find a copy of the program to take the keps and turn them into a list suitable for upload to the SatTrak unit.

Time has precluded me from pursuing the Sat Trak, I have completed a K3NG unit that works a treat with my KR400/KR500 system and have almost completed a system for my 1.8M dish using a steper motor for the AZ and a linear actuator for the elevation drive along with incremental encoders for position measuring.

Hope this is of assistance.

Cheers and 73

Richard
Attachments
Sat Trak 3 board layout 1.pdf
(59.84 KiB) Downloaded 65 times
SatTrak3 Manual 1.pdf
(679.61 KiB) Downloaded 40 times
Sat Track 3 Circuits.pdf
(182.07 KiB) Downloaded 60 times
VK2NB
Forum Novice

Post by VK2NB »

Hi Richard

Thanks for that information, it is a great help.
I will see how I go with the sattack 3 before exploring other options .
If I remember correctly the program that did the kepler data file basically ( I think ) stripped off headers and other unnecessary information so that it was just raw data that then was uploaded to the sattack 3 .
I will also look at the K3NG unit as well.

73s
Nigel VK2NB