VK3YT
Forum Diehard

LoraWAN Pico balloon Mel-Syd

Post by VK3YT »

Hi all,

FYI,

A balloon is in the air to test coverage of LoraWAN in The Things Network
https://tracker.habhub.org/#!mt=roadmap ... 73&q=PS-73

Party balloon, 5mW TX on Australian LoraWAN bandplan (915Mhz), using 1 AAA battery.

Path prediction:
http://predict.habhub.org/#!/uuid=17b05 ... 71b4b8fe11

Andy
VK5QI
Forum Novice

Re: LoraWAN Pico balloon Mel-Syd

Post by VK5QI »

Any information on the tracker used?

I've been considering flying something like this for a while here in VK5, but I was never quite sure on how it fit within the TTN fair-use scheme.

Also, it spams the hell out of the tracker map with TTN ground stations!

Mark VK5QI
World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimization.
VK3YT
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3YT »

Hi Mark,

Long time no hear!
The tracker is a custom board with an ARM 0+ and SX1276, powered by one AAA lithium. Weight is around 10g. Antenna is a 915Mhz dipole.

From the initial test data, we can probably use TTN SF8 for default.
At that rate and small payloads the tracker should be able to remain inside of the fair-use limit.

PS-73 is using SF9 and this can be changed for testing from ground. With downlink packets to balloon it will exceed the fair-use limit by a few seconds, but I guess it should be ok as a network test!

Regards,
Andy
VK5QI
Forum Novice

Post by VK5QI »

Hi Andy!

Yep, long-time no chat! We are still launching occasionally over here in VK5, now using a new MFSK mode (horus binary - https://github.com/projecthorus/horusbinary ) as our primary telemetry modulation. Performs ridiculously well, and is *much* faster than using text-based modes like Olivia.

I guess using a TTN tracker probably isn't that useful if you plan on recovering the payload - unless it happens to land within radio range of a TTN gateway! Good for floaters though, perhaps paired with something else.

I'm having a look at the backend code of the tracker to see if I can make the TTN gateway receiver icons 'age-out' after an hour or so, to avoid cluttering up the map.

Update: Have submitted a PR to the tracker github repo, which add a 1 hour age filter on receivers with TTN_LORAWAN_GW in the description. https://github.com/rossengeorgiev/habit ... r/pull/101

Mark VK5QI
World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimization.
VK3YT
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3YT »

Thanks Mark, that would really help with de-cluttering the map.
Regards,
Andy
VK5QI
Forum Novice

Post by VK5QI »

Well, it looks like you've left the coverage area! Nice job on the flight!

Any pictures of the board? Keen to see how TTN coverage is around here, perhaps on an upcoming balloon launch. I have a few 915 MHz LoRa modules, but haven't had the chance to play with them yet.

Mark VK5QI
VK3YT
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3YT »

Here is a photo of the tracker:

Some stats from the trip:
- Max uplink range (balloon to gateway) : 380km at 9400m altitude, beyond 5 degree horizon
- Minimal RSSI = -137
- Max downlink range (gateway to balloon): 240km outside of Sydney at 9400m altitude.
- 441 unique downlink packets
- More than 1840 packets forwarded by gateways (incomplete log)

It looks like there are many more gateways in Melbourne that picked up the balloon packets than in Sydney.

Regards,
Andy