122GHz for all !

23cm, 2.4/3.4/5.7/10/24/47 GHz and above - antennas, propagation, operating, etc. Includes Optical communications, with light,
VK2XAX
Forum Diehard

122GHz for all !

Post by VK2XAX »

Hi all,

By now many of you have received your DUBUS magazine and had a read of the 122GHz transverter project by Andrew, VK3CV.

For those of you who went to Gippstech you will recognize the transverter as the one that was on display, pictures of which I took and have saved here...

https://photos.app.goo.gl/8oi3HrveRXs7ZoSX8

That includes a scan of the summary document that was handed out at the conference.

Andrew has kindly put all the articles, documentation, schematics, etc. of this project on the net and made it all available from his dropbox here...

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/32iznukohqnp ... tHEGa?dl=0

For those of you who do not subscribe to DUBUS, the published article is this document...

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/32iznukohqnp ... 9.pdf?dl=0

In the month or so since Gippstech I've been gathering quotes from various manufacturers to build the transverter PCB to a complete working state including Xray board testing, code load to PIC and functional tests at power-on that meets my test plan so that the units would be delivered to me supposedly working.

I've spoken with at least 3 manufacturers and created specific bill-of-materials for each to utilize their in-house supply chains for lowest possible component cost. I'm currently in discussions with another to get a competitive quote from them as well. Likewise for the feed horn assembly. Machining costs vary markedly across those I've already asked.

The indicative cost estimates are based on a quantity of 10 since that's the minimum order level for all of them. The more orders we get the cheaper it becomes. Machining costs for the horns drop by nearly a factor of 100 if I order 1000, but I think that number is a bit of wishful thinking at this stage. One can only hope

Indicative pricing in $USD is and it has to be because that's what all the manufacturers deal in.

Complete assembled and tested PCB : $204 USD

Chaparral style feed horn and coupler : $72 USD

Conical Horn $110 USD

None of these $ values include shipping to you.

I haven't got a specific quote for "board only" since I figured most people would want a built-and-tested board and to not have to worry about soldering 0603 size SMD parts and expensive IC's.

That being said I've already had enquirers from the UK for boards only. So if someone wants a board only, I'll can take note and ask for a quote when I get sufficient numbers.

so... have a good read of the article since there is still some construction to do with putting the PCB to work and if you decide you want one or two or more, please drop me an email and I'll add you to the list.

After a month to let the stragglers catch up, I'll ask the manufacturers for an updated quote with the numbers I get and report back the $ amount we will actually be up for.

Build & test times for the manufacturers are typically 6 to 8 weeks including shipping once an order is placed.

So... who wants to go play on 122GHz ?

regards

Tim
--

VK2XAX :: QF56if23 :: BMARC :: WIA :: AMSAT-VK
VK2XAX
Forum Diehard

Re: 122GHz for all ! -additional net -

Post by VK2XAX »

Hi all,

I've had a few inquiries from people for the bare PCB's, not many but some.

If you're a brave soul who wants to solder 0603 components, a QFN32 and a TQFP44 IC, then a bare board is an option.

Send me an email if you would be interested in a bare board.

regards

Tim
--

VK2XAX
Forum Diehard

Re: 122GHz for all !

Post by VK2XAX »

Hi all,

For those of you who may not have subscribed to the 122GHz mailing list...

The Fundrazr campaign for this project is now live. You can find it here...

https://fundrazr.com/122GHzProject

Please read everything I have written on the intro page. I've even written an FAQ :)

Hopefully it will answer all your questions.

You can place & pay for your orders via the campaign web site.

Hopefully we can hit our target quickly and get the actual manufacturing underway.

regards

Tim
--

VK2XAX
Forum Diehard

122GHz transverter second run interest

Post by VK2XAX »

Hi all,

I'd like to formally call for names of those who would be interested in a second run of the current model of the 122GHz transverter, to buy made boards, blank PCB's, horns etc.

Please email me direct or via the 122GHz list with your requirements.

*** PLEASE have the subject line contain "122GHz transverter second run interest" so emails can be filtered easily. ***

As per before I will track interest on a publicly viewable Google Sheet here...

http://tiny.cc/7jvmsz

Also as before, you can greatly reduce the shipping costs by organising into groups.

One we get to a reasonable number, or 3 months has passed with no further notifications of interest, I will go ask the manufacturers for prices.

There is no guarantee that we will get the same prices we had last time.

cheers

Tim
--

VK2XAX
Forum Diehard

Re: 122GHz for all !

Post by VK2XAX »

Hi all,

Second run interest is now north of 140 units so I've has some quotes returned from the manufacturers.

The price of the horn & feed/coupler remains unchanged.

The cost of the assembled & tested board has increase by $20 USD due to the lower quantity requested, to $148USD each.

The cost of the blank PCBs is now $3.00 an increase of $1 per board.

I intend to close the interest list next Friday 8th of October and open a new Fundrazr to collect funds for manufacture shortly thereafter.

If you want anything, now is the time to put your hand up, or if you know someone who is looking to get on 122GHz, please let them know ASAP and get them to to contact me to get on the 122GHz second run interest list.

regards

Tim
--