Loss of ABC Shortwave put fishermen at risk

630m (472 kHz) - 10 m (29 MHz) antennas, propagation, operating, etc
VK2AOH
Frequent Poster

Loss of ABC Shortwave put fishermen at risk

Post by VK2AOH »

This news story popped up about a commercial fisherman and his crew caught at sea in Cyclone Trevor.

Of course we were told of the excellent on line service and VHF FM network which are accessible to all.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/2019- ... n/10922104
VK3RX
Forum Diehard

Re: Loss of ABC Shortwave put fishermen at risk

Post by VK3RX »

The wisdom of the ABC dropping their HF service aside, given what he said about radio conditions affecting the BoM HF marine services, he wasn't likely to hear Radio Australia anyway.
Damien VK3RX
VK2AOH
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2AOH »

The ABC ran much more powerful transmitters than would BOM.
VK5PJ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5PJ »

The HF vertical shower service at Katherine would have been audible with a crystal set :D but the BOM services are a lot further south and as others pointed out probably not the 50 or 100 KW that the old vertical shower services ran at. These services gave fantastic coverage during their service and as one of the many people who serviced them, it was a privilege to have been part of that era.

BOM HF info is here: http://www.bom.gov.au/marine/radio-sat/ ... adio.shtml
Peter Sumner, vk5pj
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
- Winston Churchill
VK3RX
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3RX »

The quality of reception in the middle of thunderstorms, I'm not sure.

In any case, it would be relying on RA just happening to be broadcasting a warning about the cyclone at the time, and I don't know if they did that sort of thing in the later years, or the programming was simply a rebroadcast of RN programming.

I would be surprised if the cyclone was a complete surprise to everyone in the region, which would suggest it would/should have been known about in advance, and therefore it's movements something to keep monitoring.

If the ATSB are investigating, I suspect they will look at all aspects of the incident.
Damien VK3RX