WSJT-X MSK 144 Meteor Scatter

Things that do not fit in the above categories
VK1KW
Frequent Poster

WSJT-X MSK 144 Meteor Scatter

Post by VK1KW »

Hello All,

I am perplexed. Why does meteor scatter works best between about 5AM - 7:30AM DST.
Why does it seem to be enhanced only between these times and best results on 6 meters usually.

A few possibilities come to mind.
Operators are not willing to get up earlier and usually they quit to go off to work by 8AM.

But it is noticeable that the peak in burns are during the above times. But why?

Disregarding the usual periodic peaks as the Earth encounters a stream of dust from comet remains in sun orbit, there will still be a lot of rocks randomly scattered in Sun proximity flooding in from who knows where or left overs?

The Earth is traveling in Sun orbit at 1690km/hour in the direction of earth-sun time 6AM.
At that speed, one would expect that dust and rocks would hit the Earth evenly across it's leading face and spread the reflections over a full 12 hour period but that seems to not be the case. So what is happening?

My guess is Gravity.
All the rocks and dust swept up are heading for the Earth's gravity centre.
That says then the best place for meteor scatter is a circle 2 hours across or 30deg cone. (360/24 15deg/hour) With the dregs dropping off after that. We get the dregs.
Those that don't get effected skip on by with a few impacting at 6PM on the back side or continue on by at a new direction ready to get us next year.

I have not seen a write up about this but my guess is MSK 144 results above and below 35deg Latitude would be poor.
You might think about trying MSK 144 at 6PM to see if there are bits coming around and impacting the atmosphere on the back side too.

So can you point me at the location about some info on all this please? Any ideas please?
Thanks
Rob
VK1KW

(The Earth is getting bigger!)
Regards
Rob
VK1KW
VK5PJ
Forum Diehard

Re: WSJT-X MSK 144 Meteor Scatter

Post by VK5PJ »

Hey Rob,
this is what I understand happens (I am happy to be corrected by those who have a better handle on this), in the hours as we approach dawn local time, our position in the daily spin of the earth becomes the point where maximum closing velocity between on coming objects (in or close to our orbit) and our portion of the atmosphere happens, similar to two cars in a head-on crash, the relative speeds add up, 100Kph + 100Kph = 200 Kph so the relative speed that the object has when going through our atmosphere during this period is higher and the temperature of the meteor burn is higher and causes a more intense burn to occur but for example at sun-set we are traveling away from on-comming objects relatively speaking, which decreases the friction placed upon the meteor as it enters our atmosphere, lowering its burn temp / intensity.

Now this all works for meteors that we (Planet Earth) cross the orbit of BUT then there are those others who come in at random angles that break this mechanism and still create massive burns during the day and evening.

Would be interested to hear others take on this.
Peter Sumner, vk5pj
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
- Winston Churchill
OZ2M
Forum Novice

Post by OZ2M »

Hi

Here are some meteor (scatter) fundamentals: http://www.uksmg.org/content/deadband.htm

I have made thousands MS QSO, both from home and on DX-peditions, since my first MS QSO in 1982. So feel free to ask. Not so much on 6 m but a lot on 2 m and 4 m: http://rudius.net/oz2m/sqr144mhz.png

Here is my page about MS tips and tricks: https://www.rudius.net/oz2m/ms.htm

Bo
VK1KW
Frequent Poster

Post by VK1KW »

Excellent stuff - many thanks for the links and the info.
Rob
Regards
Rob
VK1KW