MAD - Sunday March 24, 2019

23cm, 2.4/3.4/5.7/10/24/47 GHz and above - antennas, propagation, operating, etc. Includes Optical communications, with light,
VK4CLG
Frequent Poster

Re: MAD - Sunday March 24, 2019

Post by VK4CLG »

Well I would have loved to have been out on the Sunday playing microwave but unfortunately for me I had other commitments that I could not get out of and if there is one thing I hate it's missing out on a microwave weekend especially when interstate microwave operators are in town. I would have loved to have worked the vk5's and had some new call signs in the log book but it was not to be.
But it does seem to be a growing trend with the VK4 microwave scene where organisation of who is going where and what time we are starting etc. seems to get lost in translation. Every time there is a post about an MAD there is never a start time of even a suggested start time. This happens at every MAD and no one knows what the hell is going on. I've gone up the mountain once to play in an MAD and after getting setup I found the whole show was over. Without any prior notice the MAD started 2 hr's earlier because of a football game and everyone wanted to go home and watch it. That turned out to be a complete waste of time and money for me and almost turned me off wanting to bother with microwave.

If we are going to have these events then please for the love of God someone stand up and say this is the date, time and planed operation of the MAD and stick to that plan. none of this wait till the morning of the MAD and announce the MAD started 30 mins ago. Do this at least 2 weeks prior to the date and stick to it and those who are going out portable can make their arrangements around that. Too bloody simple but seem too bloody hard for the people of south east VK4.

Robert
VK4LHD
VK4AQF
Forum Novice

Post by VK4AQF »

Hi All,
I would agree with the lack of start time or times in general that stations will be on 'site'. Maybe its not that simple as some of us have a short window time frame, as in myself :eh: sometimes.
In general last Sunday was quite successful for me to run my 23/13cm gear and also 9cm transverter, lacking in power and just a can (circular waveguide feed) for antenna. Thanks for the reports. Also it was great to see activity by (4FB etc.) on 122GHz. Great work for the constructors. Speaking of which could there be some more info posted about where to get some of this exotic parts for the mm wave bands..Impossible to make at home. Not all of us can travel to the USA surplus houses. Any info/ideas welcome.
73 Quentin VK4AQF.
VK4GHZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4GHZ »

VK4AQF wrote:In general last Sunday was quite successful for me to run my 23/13cm gear and also 9cm transverter, lacking in power and just a can (circular waveguide feed) for antenna.
Q, and yet nobody, (except from within the club's inner bubble?), would have known you (and most likely others as well), were out and about.

This list was posted on 23rd.
VK4CZ wrote: It's like herding cats... but last known plans [for last MAD that was cancelled due to WX] were:

VK4OE/P: Kamarun Lookout QG61NU [Lamington NP] - 1.2 to 76GHz
VK4LHD/P: Howells Knob QG63JF [Sunshine Coast - Maleny] - 1.2 to 10GHz
VK4EA/P: Howells Knob QG63JF [Sunshine Coast - Maleny] - 10 to 24GHz
VK4CZ/P & VK4YR/P: Gus Beutel Lookout QG62CP [Ravensbourne - North of Toowoomba] - 1.2 to 10GHz
VK4UH/P & VK4MIL/P: Stradbroke Island [East of BNE] - 1.2 to 10GHz
There is a reason why others ask for people to post about their intentions on Forums like this (and on Faceplant).

Aside from co-ordinating locations (which seemed to fail with Gus Beutel being unexpectedly gazumped?), it becomes a major factor for a lot of people whether the effort will be worth it, or not.

It's all about perception.
perception.PNG
• If it's peceived that only a few stalwarts will be out, then many others may not bother.
Especially if you still work for a living, and always have other things to do instead.

• If it's perceived that lots of people will be involved, then the effort will be worth it.
And how do we know if others are getting involved - they make a conscious effort to promote their activity across various means.

Secretive communication to the few that sit around a table is a guaranteed way to keep activity low.
The good news is, you'll only need smaller tables as time goes on. :lol:

"Closed" Faceplant groups (vs "Public"), also prevent casual observers from getting any information.
And no, not all Faceplant users want to keep joining a never ending number of groups either - leave that for the FOMO teenagers with increasing anxiety problems.

And then you have the introverts that have a Faceplant account but are unlikely to join groups.
There's another demographic that can at least see what goes on.
secret-mens-business.png
Adam, Brisbane
vk4ghz.com
VK4GHZ on Youtube
VK4GHZ on Odysee

10 things that happen when you stop checking Facebook constantly: http://tiny.cc/t5h7cz

How to quit Facebook: https://www.consumerreports.org/social- ... -facebook/
VK4AQF
Forum Novice

Post by VK4AQF »

@ 5ZD, well it was good to work you on 23 and 13cm as well as try 9cm through 4OE (one way :() Hope catch you on 6 sometime when the condx are favourable.

Quentin
VK4AQF