Is this for real?

General discussion - When it doesn't fit anywhere else
VK5ATN
Forum Novice

Is this for real?

Post by VK5ATN »

This is currently on display in the VKHam classifieds. It seems believable, but is it fact?

Changes to amateur radio qualifications Following an open tender process on AusTender (Approach to Market reference 18ACMA148), the ACMA has selected the University of Tasmania—through its institute the Australian Maritime College (AMC)—to deliver amateur radio examinations, issue amateur certificates of proficiency and for related callsign management. The ACMA thanks all organisations that expressed an interest in providing services, and also wishes to thank the Wireless Institute of Australia (WIA) for its provision of services over the term of the current Deed, which came to an end on 1 February 2019. After that time, an examination conducted by the WIA will not be an approved examination for the purposes of amateur qualifications and the WIA will not have the power to issue further certificates of proficiency under the Radiocommunications Act 1992. The ACMA is working with the AMC to finalise a Deed for the delivery of services and will also need to make enabling instruments to support the AMC’s activities. Once the Deed is signed, the ACMA expects the AMC to progressively commence delivery of services from 25 February 2019. While these arrangements are being made, the ACMA will consider any applications for certificates of proficiency. A certificate may be issued if the applicant has successfully sat an approved examination under the previous WIA arrangements. The ACMA will also consider any applications for licences related to those certificates of proficiency and will assign callsigns to those licences on issue. Enquiries should be sent to licensing@acma.gov.au.
VK3RX
Forum Diehard

Re: Is this for real? - Amateur Examinations

Post by VK3RX »

Well it is for real, but how it will work around the country I guess is TBA:

https://www.wia.org.au/newsevents/news/ ... /index.php
Damien VK3RX
VK5ATN
Forum Novice

Re: Is this for real?

Post by VK5ATN »

Thanks Damien, that release hasn't filtered through to my inbox so far.

Lots of questions remain....

73 Terry
VK3RX
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3RX »

I haven't received a release yet either.

I heard a rumour late yesterday that the WIA hadn't won the tender, then saw your post just now and did a bit of digging.

Interesting times -
Damien VK3RX
VK4TI
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4TI »

"VK3RX"]I haven't received a release yet either.

I heard a rumour late yesterday that the WIA hadn't won the tender, then saw your post just now and did a bit of digging.

Interesting times -"

Some background yet unreleased to this , yes it will be interesting as to delivery .
It will allow the Wia to retune I guess
VK2CSW
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2CSW »

AMC and UTAS should have no difficulty delivering under the deed as they already do such work for marine radio certification.

I imagine that the marine radio invigilation and certificate processing is a far larger body of work than the amateur radio equivalent.

AMC have a network of providers and invigilators, I imagine that this will result in an expansion of that network.

I certainly do not see this as a negative for amateur radio overall - it will be a set back for the WIA.
VK6SIX
Frequent Poster

Post by VK6SIX »

Glenn Dunstan VK4DU and Andrew Smith VK6AS will serve as advisors to the AMC.

RASA wishes to congratulate the UTAS/AMC on winning the tender for examinations and callsign management, announced today by ACMA - refer here.

Glenn Dunstan VK4DU and Andrew Smith VK6AS will serve as advisors to the AMC.

The AMC has been successfully managing maritime radio examinations Australia-wide for the past sixteen years on behalf of the ACMA.

The educational resources available from UTAS/AMC will provide a streamlined and professional assessment system for amateur radio.
VK3RX
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3RX »

AMC have a network of providers and invigilators, I imagine that this will result in an expansion of that network.
They would be paid I assume, so it will be interesting to see if there will be any increase in exam and processing charges.

Then there is the matter of these staff being qualified to conduct the amateur service practical test element ...
Damien VK3RX
VK2CSW
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2CSW »

I am not sure what AMC's business model is.

The invigilators are independent of the training organisations, and I believe (but don't know) they generally come from boating and sailing clubs, etc. so they may or may not be paid.

A marine operators exam is $89

per http://www.amc.edu.au/industry/omc/omc-fees-and-payment

I imagine that the price will be similar.
VK3ZAZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ZAZ »

VK3RX wrote:I haven't received a release yet either.

Interesting times -
Hi Damien.
Did not win a.k.a as LOST it.

Any reason given as to why the successful tender was successful?

Given that an educational institute may have more credibility.

Wonder who will mark exams or will it be tick and flick by multiple choice.

Anyone ever explain the mention of the deed by the senate and its ramifications.

Despite the restructuring if the WIA cant but think that some people got off without explaining themselves.
Tread your own path :om:
VK3ZAZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ZAZ »

VK3RX wrote:
They would be paid I assume, so it will be interesting to see if there will be any increase in exam and processing charges.

Then there is the matter of these staff being qualified to conduct the amateur service practical test element ...
They will possibly have Marine Ops Quals
maybe bit hetter than CPL lol.
Tread your own path :om: