Radiation Pattern

Related discussion about towers, masts, and transmissions lines
VK2CSW
Forum Diehard

Radiation Pattern

Post by VK2CSW »

Not quite a tower or mast but it is an antenna mounting question :)

I recently came across a FAMPARC Mult-tap whip I had taken of my last ute and that was languishing in the shed, so decided to put it to use.

In the back garden I have a 4800x2400mm raised garden bed that has a treated pine frame of the same dimensions supported, again by treated pine posts, about 1800mm above ground level. Stretched over the frame is a galvanised chicken wire "roof". The garden bed is oriented roughly north-south on the long axis.

In the centre of the southern end I have mounted the whip (the chicken wire roof is the ground plane). The idea of mounting the antenna at one end was to bias the radiation pattern in a northerly direction.

So far, so good. Using FT8 on 15 through 40 metres it far outstrips the HVU-8 and 20 metre dipole mounted above the roof line of the house. In fact, it is surprisingly better.

My question is; if I was to move the antenna to a corner of the frame, with all else being equal, how different would the radiation pattern be? For example, if I moved the antenna to the south west corner would the radiation pattern be altered to a significantly more noticeable north-east alignment? As opposed to the surmised more north-south alignment of the current set up.
VK2CSW
Forum Diehard

Re: Radiation Pattern

Post by VK2CSW »

I guess 100 views and no replies means I need to get one of those modelling programs then.
VK4TI
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4TI »

[quote="VK2CSW"]I guess 100 views and no replies means I need to get one of those modelling programs then.""

Or try it ad determine the tilt from results
VK3AUU
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3AUU »

It probably wont make much difference.
Suck it and see.