My Pi Journey

VK5PJ
Forum Diehard

My Pi Journey

Post by VK5PJ »

Hi,
a recent power bill that was much bigger than expected has triggered me to look at alternatives to running a traditional Windows PC in the shack. I have an older Raspberry PI that I bought for a small task at work (captive web portal and DHCP server) in 2015. A year later we shelved the PI as a new system had been purchased but all at my work place were in awe of what the Pi could do but it has lived in a drawer at home since.

Out comes the Pi from the drawer and a new copy of the Linux O/S is loaded, this version has a GUI interface by default and my old Model B Pi was under the pump to do the smallest of tasks in the GUI.... Okay time to buy a new Model 3 B+ Raspberry PI. I opted for an updated version of the 'starter kit' https://raspberry.piaustralia.com.au/li ... tarter-kit for $105 that gives me the PI board, power supply case. micro SD loaded with the Raspbian O/S (Linux) and other sundry parts you need. In there you get 4 USB ports, inbuilt Wifi and a proper ethernet port, the connection to your monitor is via HDMI but do not let that worry you as there are plenty of adapters to convert HDMI to what you have at home.

So what can you do on a Raspberry Pi ? I have two copies of the WSJT-X digital mode running, one controlling my IC-910H for 144.489 WSPR mode and the second controlling my IC-7100 on HF doing FT8. Along with that I have a USB dongle SDR running that I can use to snoop around VHF/UHF and of course a Web browser running to check VKlogger and my Gmail :popcorn:

Maybe some others with a Pi in the shack will offer suggestions on other ways to do it?

To see an image of a working desktop have a look here: Image

Oh and of course I have loaded TeamViewer so I can control it from work or my phone :om:

Next on the list, find a logging program to load and see how that goes.
Peter Sumner, vk5pj
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
- Winston Churchill
VK4SC
Forum Novice

Re: My Pi Journey

Post by VK4SC »

Nice work :thumbup:
I recently bought myself an RPi 3 B+ for shack duties and am very surprised with how well it goes for the price and power demands.
So far I have used it with WSJT-X for WSPR, and MSK144 without issue although MSK does seem to keep it rather 'busy' at times!
All my ICOM rigs play nicely with it and It is also connected via HDMI to a 24inch monitor, wireless mouse, USB keyboard, And 5gHz WiFi.
I am In fact typing this post on it. :beer: and have plans to run it and a rig off battery and solar for WSPR beaconing very soon.(Awaiting arrival of Micro USB connectors)
Attachments
2018-09-23-064844_1920x1080_scrot.png
VK2CSW
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2CSW »

Hi Peter,

I have been contemplating a similar set up. Like you I found my early model A & B Pi's weren't quite up to the task :)

What has stopped me so far is that as a part of my 'workflow' I use JT-AlertX to flag worked before and to log to eQSL. I have been unable to find a linux flavoured tool that has similar functionality.

You haven't come across anything similar have you?

Col
VK5PJ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5PJ »

Hello Colin,
it would seem JTalert is limited to a windows build so it that's needed for you then probably locked to Windows... I must admit the transition to PI was easy but the search for utilities that we take for granted in the Windows world make it frustrating some days..
Peter Sumner, vk5pj
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
- Winston Churchill
VK2CSW
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2CSW »

Hey Peter,

I may yet pull the trigger on the new RPi. (Bathroom renovation funding notwithstanding).

It appears there is a Linux app that is based loosely on the JT-AlertX - AlarmeJT.

http://alarmejt.blog.free.fr/index.php? ... c-est-quoi

When I get:
a) Spare funds; and
b) Spare time.
I will endeavour to give it a shot.

What I am hoping to be able to do is to run the RPi as a headless controller for the rig and WSJT-X and the remote into it from my wireless network.

Still musing over tuning and other functions. I am considering using an Arduino like device (MicroPro) to interface with the external meter output of the FT857D - this will give me an indication of ALC, Power or SWR over the remote connection.

Have a great day.
VK4MIL
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4MIL »

Well my PI journey well I bought the kit from little bird arrived yeah baby lets get this thing going. I could not have been more disillusioned with how simple it could be
followed the booklet that didn't work as per the screenshots it came with a nice little usb thingy with no instructions it is a micro sd card reader I think not sure . I'm typing this rant on it but that's all this piece of junk is good for :thumbdown: tried to install WSJTx apparently this thing is missing some file to complete the install , }:[ windows has a lot going for it when will the nerds get it into their heads that click and go is the only way to go none of this stupid you need a file from some distant server that is only available between the hours 1 and 2 pm when mum's out getting the vodka and junior and turn on his server. :om:
VK2CSW
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2CSW »

Hi 4MIL,

IIRC the Little Bird SD card is loaded with NOOBS.

The Raspberry Pi folk have a bunch of HoTo's and the like - here is the NOOBS one:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/help/noobs-setup/2/

I hope that is of assistance.

The Linux package servers are mirrored all over the planet, so if the default one is busy or unavailable there should be a myriad of others to point to.

For WSJT-X etc have a squint at:
http://www.hamskey.com/2017/12/install- ... berry.html
or
https://dl1gkk.com/raspberry-pi-3-setup ... gi-wsjt-x/

Cheers (now where is that tequila?)
VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ALB »

VK4MIL wrote:Well my PI journey well I bought the kit from little bird arrived yeah baby lets get this thing going. . . . . .
Hang in there Col, persistence will get you there, it can be done. Computer types sometimes forget that those less skilled than themselves may want to have a crack at these things. Sadly, crappy instructions are part of the game.

Take Colin's advice on the WSJT information and wash down with a jug of Margarita concentrate. :beer:

@Adam, where's the Margarita emoji?
Lou - VK3ALB

Being right doesn't excuse bad behaviour
VK5PJ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5PJ »

Hey Colin (MIL),
well yes the install instructions for WSJT-X are a bit flawed as they tell you in many places to add the repository key for the KI7MT site but that process has not ever worked for me...

Believe it or not WSJTX is part of the formal software repository for Linux, from the menu in the top left (Raspberry Icon), go to "preferences" and select "Add / Remove software" a new window opens, in the Search (top left) type wsjtx and click the search (magnifier icon) it will search for the entry in the repositories, now you can choose to install it . . BUT you will get an early version but wait there is more (Open fresh :beer: )

Once installed and you have confirmed it is there, open a console and then type the commands to update your system

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
This should then go and get all relevant updates for you (you should have done this before now after first firing up your PI) and along with the other updates, WSJTx should update to be version 1.9.1 if my memory is not playing tricks..

If it still does not work, maybe we can arrange a teamviewer/VNC hookup and talk you through it?
Peter Sumner, vk5pj
- Winston Churchill
VK4MIL
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4MIL »

Hi PJ,

Many thanks to yourself and Colin 2CSW this thing is driving me crazy I tried the search in add / remove software but I cannot select the magnifier icon left click right click fist into keyboard nothing selects the magnifier
I will continue to press on . The offer of team viwer sounds great but I don't think I could get it installed. maybe need to do destructive format and start from scratch

Cheers Colin VK4MIL
VK4MIL
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4MIL »

Well low and behold you have to add a Different suppository to get updates and even then it say's hey do you trust this site :) It's working now thanks for the encouragement once I learn how to screenshot i'll post :om:
VK4MIL
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4MIL »

my screenshot
my screenshot
VK2CSW
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2CSW »

Nicely done.

They're a nice toy for the price.

Not to mention a learning experience.
VK4MIL
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4MIL »

VK3ALB wrote:
VK4MIL wrote:Well my PI journey well I bought the kit from little bird arrived yeah baby lets get this thing going. . . . . .
Hang in there Col, persistence will get you there, it can be done. Computer types sometimes forget that those less skilled than themselves may want to have a crack at these things. Sadly, crappy instructions are part of the game.

Take Colin's advice on the WSJT information and wash down with a jug of Margarita concentrate. :beer:

@Adam, where's the Margarita emoji?

Thanks Lou :)
VK4EA
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4EA »

VK4MIL wrote:Well low and behold you have to add a Different suppository .... snipped
I bet things moved better with a bit of help from the suppository [emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cheers,
Peter
VK4EA
VK5PJ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5PJ »

now for GQRX SDR software you need to download the archive (TAR)

http://gqrx.dk/download/gqrx-sdr-for-the-raspberry-pi

I put mine is /usr/local/share I think, then you can run it from the CMD window or create s desktop link (another new experience for me on Linux)

Works great with a RTL dongle and quite easy to use, does not chew too much CPU time so other things can run at the same time. The next challenge is to jet to make 'jack' work so I can pipe the audio to WSJT-X via a virtual cable..

Peter
Peter Sumner, vk5pj
- Winston Churchill
VK4MIL
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4MIL »

VK4EA wrote:
VK4MIL wrote:Well low and behold you have to add a Different suppository .... snipped
I bet things moved better with a bit of help from the suppository [emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes it did move a bit easier Peter :thumbup:
VK4MIL
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4MIL »

VK5PJ wrote:now for GQRX SDR software you need to download the archive (TAR)

http://gqrx.dk/download/gqrx-sdr-for-the-raspberry-pi

I put mine is /usr/local/share I think, then you can run it from the CMD window or create s desktop link (another new experience for me on Linux)

Works great with a RTL dongle and quite easy to use, does not chew too much CPU time so other things can run at the same time. The next challenge is to jet to make 'jack' work so I can pipe the audio to WSJT-X via a virtual cable..

Peter
Yes I have followed the install to the letter as per online tubeyou moving pictures and no success . I have decided to give up on the PI journey for now " my XYL helped me in that decision to much swearing and banging elevated my blood pressure" and will continue with winbloz :D Thanks for the help PJ
VK4EMS
Forum Novice

Post by VK4EMS »

about to embark on the same journey :shock: wish me luck :crazy:
VK4CRO
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4CRO »

hi , Peter , Mark, Colin etc. have ordered mine
plenty questions coming
de Ron CRO