Lurking 101

General discussion - When it doesn't fit anywhere else
ADMIN
Dumb Schmuck

Lurking 101

Post by ADMIN »

:popcorn:

In Internet culture, a lurker is typically a member of an online community or PLN who observes, but does not actively participate.

Lurking is just one form of free-riding that can happen within an internet community, and is similar to asking questions without responding or gathering information without distributing it.

Lurking is seen as undesirable to communities because of the risk free-riding can have on the community if every member does it.

A public good is something that is impossible to exclude someone from and has a joint supply within the community.
An internet community is seen as a public good because it is a pool of data to which people may, if they choose, separately contribute information.

The survival of the community is then dependent on the contributions of the members.

Since it is impossible to exclude members from sharing in the benefit of the public good, people are more motivated to free-ride on the work of the other members and not contribute themselves.

As a group grows in size, the likelihood of free-riding increases.
Individuals are less likely to contribute if they do not view their contribution as making a visible difference and if they expect the other members to provide enough content to reach the desired effect.

A lurker may withhold information because when they contribute, it benefits everyone in the community except for themselves.

When everyone then chooses to withhold information, the collective benefit is no longer produced.
With more people free-riding, it is more difficult to produce useful information and interactions among the group members.
The group will then not have enough resources to attract new members and retain current members.

Lurking can also cost site holders money if they do not use advertising to generate revenue.
The bandwidth costs of lurkers visiting a site may outstrip the value that donors or contributors provide to a community.

source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lurker
VK4ADC
Forum Diehard

Re: Lurking 101

Post by VK4ADC »

Admin

I confirm that I am a lurker - at times - when I feel that I can't contribute to the current topics and I suspect that many others act in a similar manner. When I have something to put forward, I do so and have often started new threads rather than just adding comments.

I think that this is my first post in several weeks so maybe I fall within the lurker definition....

Doug VK4ADC
Doug VK4ADC, QG62lg51
http://www.vk4adc.com
ADMIN
Dumb Schmuck

Post by ADMIN »

From recent comments, 'lurking' may need clarification.

We can all do without the pissing competitions.
A potential pissing competition will put many people off participating in a Forum.

Luckily, most of that has shifted to various Facebook groups, where the s**t shirrers spend most of their time now.
(And frankly, good!)

The primary aim of this Forum was to provide an easy-to-use platform, where people could share information about their projects and activity.
This Forum is also indexed extremely well by Google, thereby making it easy for others to discover information about your projects.

It was never hard to take a few photos, and do a write up.
All it took was some effort.

Even if people post to their own website, it should be fairly easy (and commonsense) to promote what you have done via Forums, Facebook, etc.

Facebook can be good for promoting and pointing to a real website page that has more substance to it.
Funnily enough, one of the most popular topics here has been the What's on your work bench Facebook style disjointed mono-thread.

It's been well proven that activity generates more activity.

A prime example of this are the surplus 3.5 GHz panels.
With openly sharing information, there has been a tremendous amount of enthusiasm and on-air activity generated.

The group that obtained these panels could have easily kept all this within their own little group, and activity would have stagnated there.
This is how most ham radio clubs operate, in a pre-internet bubble.
(One notable exception is the EMDRC who use Forums and social media to promote things)

I know for a fact that documenting my own projects has helped others, and created on-air activity.

I also know that the drone hobby has exploded in recent years because of the sheer amount of on-line content out there making it easy, (even for non-technical people who have never used a soldering iron before!), to get involved in that hobby.

I've been beating this drum for umpteen years now, and not much has changed in the ham radio world.
Why are hams, who seem to think they're good 'communicators' ( :lol: ) unable, or unwilling to put some effort into documenting about what they do?
Your efforts would ultimately be rewarded with more on-air activity.

A real searchable Forum should have been a happy medium between ye old dead trees (that young people won't bother with), and the dumbed-down Facebook living-in-the-moment type content.
But apparently not.
VK5TM

Post by VK5TM »

I guess I am a "lurker" too.

Not from any need to "keep stuff to myself" or not share or anything else, but because I have had very little time to devote to ham radio in the last couple of years and what time I do have is spent editing the CQ-DATV magazine.
But I still like to see what others are up to or discussing.

Unfortunately, all this discussion of lurkers and how supposedly bad they are, is starting to make me feel very uncomfortable about visiting this forum.
ZL3RC
Frequent Poster

Post by ZL3RC »

VK5TM wrote:Unfortunately, all this discussion of lurkers and how supposedly bad they are, is starting to make me feel very uncomfortable about visiting this forum.
I totally agree.

I can't see the point of this discussion at all.
I "watch" a lot of the time and Im going to use that term as I find "Lurking" almost offensive.
I don't "Lurk" I watch and learn or if you like read.

You may be surprised to find that some people, actually lots of people, don't like to participate in online discussion for a number of reasons.

So again, Im sorry I don't see the point of this at all.
Roger
ZL3RC aka ZL3THQ RE66FL
http://www.qrz.com/db/ZL3THQ.
VK4WTN
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4WTN »

The term lurker almost sounds like some sort of predator. Like most people I like to read various forums and learn heaps of useful information and ideas.If I think I can make a meaningful contribution I will post a comment. I cant see the point of posting waffle for the sake of increasing my posting numbers.
Wayne VK4WTN
ADMIN
Dumb Schmuck

Post by ADMIN »

VK4WTN wrote:I cant see the point of posting waffle for the sake of increasing my posting numbers.
Totally agree, which is why I specifically said:
The primary aim of this Forum was to provide an easy-to-use platform, where people could share information about their projects and activity.
This Forum is also indexed extremely well by Google, thereby making it easy for others to discover information about your projects.
Again, drivel and living-in-the-moment comments are best suited on social media.

It would be good to see more technical content here, but clearly, this is like pulling teeth and few are willing to make the effort.
VK2BLS
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2BLS »

A bit of History? - Early days logger showed 'watchers' who could see all the 'goodies' on VKLOGGER without signing in, as opposed to the signed in 'Users'.
At one stage Adam rebadged Watchers to 'Lurkers' for a while, for a nudge. Quite often the number of Watchers (Lurkers) out numbered the Users. Later Users were required to sign up & log-in to access the info on VKLogger, as now. This logger is terrific resource & meeting place. I probably 'Lurk' here a bit, looking to greet the (few) :om: mates I have in vk3, vk4 & vk5 each day. The Forum is a wealth of knowledge. Setting up AirScout would still be happening for me, only for the posts on the forum from those who knew nitty gritty. Adam is the 'Master', he has actually got me & u guys posting on the Forum at last. Now, lets look for something more technical to post about. Might grab my cam & take some pics of my 23cm gear developments.

VK3YE
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3YE »

The Wikipedia quote is likely a relic of 1980s - early 1990s era hobby computer culture (eg bulletin boards, shareware, furtive late night data transfers on phone lines etc).

That culture was steeped in technological elitism and flame wars over scarce storage space and bandwidth.

Those conditions hold less true today.

If conditions change so I think should attitudes.

Consequently I see no shame in being a lurker.

In fact a lurker is often a learner.

Who may become a contributor.

... that is if we don't scare them off beforehand!
-------------------------
Peter VK3YE http://www.vk3ye.com

NEW FOR 2019! Illustrated International Ham Radio Dictionary. 200 page Kindle ebook. $AU $5.99. Get yours at http://home.alphalink.com.au/~parkerp/dictionary.htm