Counterfeit BLF188XR

ATUs, PSUs, Rotators, Test Equipment, components, etc
ZL2WHO
Frequent Poster

Counterfeit BLF188XR

Post by ZL2WHO »

Hi all.

Well it had to happen eventually, some little s**t has relabeled transistors as BLF188xr. :shifty:

See here for my my blurb. https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?thread ... 429/page-2

Mark
VK5ZLR
Frequent Poster

Re: Counterfeit BLF188XR

Post by VK5ZLR »

Have had similar issues with the Chinamans audio power transistors. And the Chinamans lm7805's seem rather keen to let out the smoke.....but youse gets whats youse pays for I suppose.

Accept a 50% derating factor and all will be well.......
Deep in the heart of state of the art.
VK2EFM
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2EFM »

I bought one of those fake transistors.... you could see the tabs weren't correct and the inkjet part number. I complained that is was a fake and the nice eBay lady gave me my money back. I was even prepared to bride the guys at work in the NDT lab with a packet if Tam-tams to get it x-rayed. :twisted:

73 Allan
VK3ZAZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ZAZ »

sounds cheap and nasty
as they say long after the taste of the sweet deal is gone
you are left with the sour taste and feel a bit conned.
And of course the buyer is never at fault chasing the cheap job :popcorn:
Buyer Beware
If it sounds too good to be true It is :om:
Tread your own path :om:
VK3ZAZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ZAZ »

VK2EFM wrote:I bought one of those fake transistors.... you could see the tabs weren't correct and the inkjet part number. I complained that is was a fake and the nice eBay lady gave me my money back. I was even prepared to bride the guys at work in the NDT lab with a packet if Tam-tams to get it x-rayed. :twisted:

73 Allan
could send it to lucas heights and get a few more holes drilled in the in the substrate with a short dose of gamma rays like we did with the TRW crap in the AWA BTM2As. :om:
Tread your own path :om:
VK2AVR

Post by VK2AVR »

VK5ZLR wrote:Have had similar issues with the Chinamans audio power transistors. And the Chinamans lm7805's seem rather keen to let out the smoke.....but youse gets whats youse pays for I suppose.

Accept a 50% derating factor and all will be well.......
No. Don't do this. If you do, you simply perpetuate the counterfeiting trade. It's 50% derating now, what happens when somebody tries to make it even cheaper and you need a 75% derating? It's a race to the bottom in all senses of the term.

Don't Buy Garbage

Buy through a genuine channel (element14/digikey/mouser/etc).
VK2EFM
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2EFM »

Hi, the transistors I bought weren't cheap either. Just plain and simple fakes. Thankfully there is paypal.

I suspect this is going down the path of requesting a certificate of conformance with the purchase, given the amount of cash involved. >>>> approved suppliers.

73 Allan
ZL2WHO
Frequent Poster

Post by ZL2WHO »

Thanks for those that replied.
Can I ask that buyers of the device post here the No.s on the top.
For example the only No. I have had as a counterfeit part has been ....

Date code, top left. 8623
Batch No. NXP m1327.
I'm interested to know if the fake parts are limited to this these Nos.

The good devices so far has been ..
Date code 3594 and m1339y3
and 7385 m1442.
Also wanting to know if each of the drain terminals have a small nick either side close to the top ( see here http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/- ... image.html )
Would be great if duds had no nick as this would help identifying fakes.

Its my opinion that the sellers may not know they are fake, after all its just one item from thousands of parts available.
It is possible that the duds are not actually dud devices but a good device that has an incorrect label, so when they are driven beyond there ratings they fail.

I also understand that VK hams are only driving their devices to 40% so don't be scared to have your say on the matter. :lol:

Thanks in advance.

Mark
2WHO